IGNORED

Brighton and Hove Albion - (Home) 4th November

Cornish Steve

9 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

For those complaining about lack of subs. We looked just as leggy against West Ham and we held out. 

If not for an unlucky bounce off Young's knee, we might still be in front

Held out….. that’s the description I would put too. Literally players like Tarkowski having to take yellow cards cos we lose shape due to legginess. 

harrison/young should have been pulled for Patterson and Patterson to give legs and sure up the right side… 

We were lucky to get a point in the end. Shocking in game management 

It's 1 more than I expected even before today. Brighton have become a really quality team so I was expecting a bit of a trouncing considering our recent run of form, bring all the worriers out again. Not pretty, but don't care. This season isn't about pretty, it's about stability. We're 6 points clear without even a third of the season gone. We've nearly got a third of the points of all of last season after 11 games. Solid, undeniable progress. Not perfect, not pretty, but stable and positive progress. 

Glad we got a point, but I can only repeat what I said several days ago. We will struggle playing three games in a week, so we must prioritize: League Cup or league? Rest players midweek and we win this game. As it is, we fielded a strong team midweek, and they ran out of steam today. I just hope we don't rue this decision late in the season. Of course we all want to win every game, and of course fans want silverware, but this is a season to play smart and prioritize. Being in a cup quarter-final just cost us two points in the league.

Just now, Cornish Steve said:

Glad we got a point, but I can only repeat what I said several days ago. We will struggle playing three games in a week, so we must prioritize: League Cup or league? Rest players midweek and we win this game. As is is, we fielded a strong team midweek, and they ran out of steam today. I just hope we don't rue this decision late in the season. Of course we all want to win every game, and of course fans want silverware, but this is a season to play smart and prioritize. Being in a cup quarter-final just cost us two points in the league.

Oh ffs Steve, not this again. We're in a quarter final because of this consistent approach. When was the last time we could say that? Winning breeds confidence. Fuck it, this year we'll finish around 10-14th and win the League Cup. £50 to charity when I'm proven wrong. 

15 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

This is the mopiest place on earth haha. Am I disappointed we didn't get all 3? Absolutely. Would I have taken a point against a very good Brighton side ahead of the game? Absolutely. 

I’d have taken a point before the game kicked off.  We had 10 minutes to see out the game and our right side was getting fuckin mullered.  Did you not see that? Yeah freak goal but something was always gonna happen there. Mitoma was the outlet for every single attack….. 

can’t fault the players. But they were absolutely dead on their legs at the end. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Oh ffs Steve, not this again. We're in a quarter final because of this consistent approach. When was the last time we could say that? Winning breeds confidence. Fuck it, this year we'll finish around 10-14th and win the League Cup. £50 to charity when I'm proven wrong. 

You're on. My concern is points being docked. Points in the league must be the priority until that issue is resolved.

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I’d have taken a point before the game kicked off.  We had 10 minutes to see out the game and our right side was getting fuckin mullered.  Did you not see that? Yeah freak goal but something was always gonna happen there. Mitoma was the outlet for every single attack….. 

can’t fault the players. But they were absolutely dead on their legs at the end. 

Good. They should be every fucking week. 

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

The problem with these sort of things is that it assumes Patterson would have stopped Mitoma?

Personally I think once Coleman is back, that's the Right Back position sorted.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Good. They should be every fucking week. 

I think we all know I have a higher bar than most when it comes to work rate.  Fortunately I can spot the difference between a player going through the motions and a player who has nothing left in his legs. 

That right side was an issue for the latter part of second half and de zerbi targeted it. Patterson should have been on. 

Just now, Hafnia said:

I think we all know I have a higher bar than most when it comes to work rate.  Fortunately I can spot the difference between a player going through the motions and a player who has nothing left in his legs. 

That right side was an issue for the latter part of second half and de zerbi targeted it. Patterson should have been on. 

Patterson played well last week after some initial hesitant moments: he takes time to warm up. Hesitant moments would be a risk when looking to defend a lead in the second half. If he was to play, he should have started.

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Very modest of you as usual :rofl:

24 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Patterson has shown he deserves a run in the starting XI

Yeah, I agree.

I'd prefer him to playing. He's the younger option and I think these kids need longer runs.

However, most likely Coleman comes back in. For me, he's more reliable ATM than Patterson and/or Young. I don't even think the intention was to play Young as much. But for some reason, Patterson ain't quite edging it.

Just my opinion. I could be very wrong...more than open to being wrong. Much more to my existence than being right on ToffeeTalk 😉😂😂😂

44 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Patterson played well last week after some initial hesitant moments: he takes time to warm up. Hesitant moments would be a risk when looking to defend a lead in the second half. If he was to play, he should have started.

He should have started anyhow but a player who comes on the pitch cold is still gonna offer more than what we seen from the tired ones. 

28 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

So, any player who has had a good game previously is guaranteed to repeat that 6 months later?

Like I said, all we can do is assume he would have done better.

So you are saying that you think Ashley young was the right option against a player with pace to burn - when we had someone who marked him out the game last season?

young played the other night and was ropey against a poor Burnley side 

Just now, Romey 1878 said:

If Twitter is anything to go by then there'll be a lot of fucking whingeing going on in here but there'll be none of that from me about today.

It's obviously disappointing to lose a game we lead for so long but I'm happy with how we applied ourselves, how committed every single player was, how disciplined they were to stick to the game plan and stay in shape for the most part. I'm proud of those players (even Ashley Young) and how they went about things. Again, I think Dyche got the tactics right - Brighton will always dominate the ball so you've got to come up with a game plan to combat that and it doesn't involve trying to get on the ball more really. What you have to do is stay solid while they have it and then when you do have it use it well. We did that and but for a deflection we get the three points.

First half I thought we were pretty much perfect. Got ourselves an early goal and then shut them down. For all the possession they had I felt very, very comfortable. I'm a critic of Young and I was terrified about what Mitoma would do to him but between him and Harrison they kept him very quiet. How they did that was to stay close to him and not give him the opportunity to get on a run and build up momentum - if he'd managed to do that then he'd have had Young on toast.

Second half things were a bit more ropey for us I must admit, but we still weren't under siege or anything like that. We still frustrated them and kept them at arms length. Young was starting to look more vulnerable to Mitoma as the half wore on and I would have got him off and brought Patterson on. At the same time, though, I can understand why he didn't do it because Dyche will have had to weigh up whether it was riskier to leave a player on that was handling Mitoma but tiring or bring on an inexperienced player and rely on him to come on and be able to handle him. That being said, the goal didn't come because Young was tired and was destroyed by Mitoma so I find it difficult to put any sort of blame on Dyche or Young.

Brighton absolutely twatted us in this fixture last season and I left the stadium utterly deflated. This time around I feel unlucky to be leaving Goodison with only a point but still see it as a point gained because Brighton are a very good side despite their recent form.

Please do stop going on about the mid-week cup game and saying we should've rested players. Remind me what happened when we did last season against Bournemouth... oh yes, building confidence and any sort of momentum went right out the window, we put in a shite performance, lost, and then took that fucked confidence into the league game after it and lost that against them too. A relegation rival. This time, we played a strong side, won, built momentum and confidence and took both of those things into todays game which allowed us to take a point off a quality outfit.

I've cooled down a bit after the final whistle & the disappointment of losing 2 points so late in the game has soften a bit.

Monumental effort from the lads & I agree with the points about our defensive structure - we look proper solid & have done for weeks. That is reason alone to feel good about the direction we are going, also we are getting a good variety of goal scorers. 

1 point against Brighton is not a bad result & we are pulling ourselves away from a relegation battle this year nicely. We will only get better from here as well.

Also, delighted for Myko to get the goal - deserves it and has been very good recently. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

If Twitter is anything to go by then there'll be a lot of fucking whingeing going on in here but there'll be none of that from me about today.

It's obviously disappointing to lose a game we lead for so long but I'm happy with how we applied ourselves, how committed every single player was, how disciplined they were to stick to the game plan and stay in shape for the most part. I'm proud of those players (even Ashley Young) and how they went about things. Again, I think Dyche got the tactics right - Brighton will always dominate the ball so you've got to come up with a game plan to combat that and it doesn't involve trying to get on the ball more really. What you have to do is stay solid while they have it and then when you do have it use it well. We did that and but for a deflection we get the three points.

First half I thought we were pretty much perfect. Got ourselves an early goal and then shut them down. For all the possession they had I felt very, very comfortable. I'm a critic of Young and I was terrified about what Mitoma would do to him but between him and Harrison they kept him very quiet. How they did that was to stay close to him and not give him the opportunity to get on a run and build up momentum - if he'd managed to do that then he'd have had Young on toast.

Second half things were a bit more ropey for us I must admit, but we still weren't under siege or anything like that. We still frustrated them and kept them at arms length. Young was starting to look more vulnerable to Mitoma as the half wore on and I would have got him off and brought Patterson on. At the same time, though, I can understand why he didn't do it because Dyche will have had to weigh up whether it was riskier to leave a player on that was handling Mitoma but tiring or bring on an inexperienced player and rely on him to come on and be able to handle him. That being said, the goal didn't come because Young was tired and was destroyed by Mitoma so I find it difficult to put any sort of blame on Dyche or Young.

Brighton absolutely twatted us in this fixture last season and I left the stadium utterly deflated. This time around I feel unlucky to be leaving Goodison with only a point but still see it as a point gained because Brighton are a very good side despite their recent form.

Please do stop going on about the mid-week cup game and saying we should've rested players. Remind me what happened when we did last season against Bournemouth... oh yes, building confidence and any sort of momentum went right out the window, we put in a shite performance, lost, and then took that fucked confidence into the league game after it and lost that against them too. A relegation rival. This time, we played a strong side, won, built momentum and confidence and took both of those things into todays game which allowed us to take a point off a quality outfit.

exactly this,

Dyche et al have got this lot well drilled now, it's a long time since I have seen an Everton this fit and with so much energy. This side battle and battle.

Heads could have gone down given there we not getting the results they deserved in the first half dozen games.

took Liverpool getting a penalty to score and took a deflection for Brighton to score. we have become a tough nut.