IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

If Lukaku goes id like to see us go in for Bony, great for Swansea, strong, works hard and scores goals.

I think Man City have done a great job in devaluing Bony - the lad is very very good. He just needs games. I have always said he would be perfect in our set up - that's if Martinez stays... hoping not. Could he be had for £15-20m? I think so.

I also said that Welbeck would be a very good signing. He looks very good since he came back from injury and I think Wenger has done a good job with him in making him more central. Apparently he is key to wengers plans now so I doubt he can be bought.

In an ideal world you would keep Lukaku and have either of these ready to replace him when he is tired or lacking service.... because it may well be that he won't get tired or the lack of service wouldn't be so much an issue if they are warming up on the touch line.

I don't think its the end of the world if we sell Rom, he may be the perfect fit for some clubs who can afford to have a player who is immense on his day and be able to drop him/sub him when he isn't "on it". At Chelsea he wasn't up for that challenge and wanted the security of being number 1, for me I think the lad needs pushing by someone he fears competition from.

Whatever we think about who we can or should get - the reality is that he will be off.

I always think replacing players is as much an opportunity as it is a risk. Look at Liverpool - sold Torres for £50m and bought Suarez for less than half the price and Carroll for far too much - case in point.

How is it a bad shout? Bony works hard, strong, scores goals. Perfect replacement imo if Lukaku goes which i think he will.

Older than Lukaku, slower than Lukaku, not as good a finisher, will leave for a few weeks every other January. I've said it before but the only things he has over Rom is a fatter arse and he's better in the air.

Replacing Rom with Bony would be a huge downgrade, not just a small one. I wouldn't even be particularly happy with him being on rotation with Rom, him being Rom's replacement is just unthinkable to me.

Older than Lukaku, slower than Lukaku, not as good a finisher, will leave for a few weeks every other January. I've said it before but the only things he has over Rom is a fatter arse and he's better in the air.

Replacing Rom with Bony would be a huge downgrade, not just a small one. I wouldn't even be particularly happy with him being on rotation with Rom, him being Rom's replacement is just unthinkable to me.

Bit harsh. He's a quality striker, no surprise that Swansea went downhill when he left.

So who would you replace him with?

Bit harsh. He's a quality striker, no surprise that Swansea went downhill when he left.

So who would you replace him with?

I really don't know, but I would hope between our scouts and Martinez they could come up with someone better than Bony. I don't mind taking a stepping back to replace him but I'm not willing to accept a significant decrease in quality and that's what signing Bony would be IMO.

Edit - I'd have that other Belgian striker from Marseille that West Ham and Spurs have been linked with Batushuai or whatever his name is, can't think of it off the top of my head!

Edited by Romey 1878

here's an interesting stat.... as at November last year Bony had the 16th best goals per minutes played in premier league history behind:-

Aguero - 1 every 109 minutes

Henry - 1 every 121 minutes

RVN

Hernandez

Suarez 1 every 138 minutes

Sturridge

RVP

Dzeko 1 every 141

Kane

Shearer

Solksjaer

Owen 1 every 153

Remy

Ian Wright

BONY 1 every 157

Ba

Giroud

Drogba 1 every 168

Cole

Klinnsmann

Hasselbaink 1 every 170

Fowler

Torres

Ronaldo

Benteke 1 every 173

When you look at the fact that he has played for arguably the least "elite" club in that list it shows he has a very good record. Above all he's a good all round striker.

I really don't know, but I would hope between our scouts and Martinez they could come up with someone better than Bony. I don't mind taking a stepping back to replace him but I'm not willing to accept a significant decrease in quality and that's what signing Bony would be IMO.

Edit - I'd have that other Belgian striker from Marseille that West Ham and Spurs have been linked with Batushuai or whatever his name is, can't think of it off the top of my head!

Wasn't we linked with him a few seasons ago?

I'm hoping we get 2 strikers in the summer tbh if Lukaku leaves. The positive with Bony is he knows the league and would fit right in, no risk at all.

michy batshuai. also there is a thread of players i've listed many times before

lacazette

inaki martinez

borja

among others.

here's an interesting stat.... as at November last year Bony had the 16th best goals per minutes played in premier league history behind:-

Aguero - 1 every 109 minutes

Henry - 1 every 121 minutes

RVN

Hernandez

Suarez 1 every 138 minutes

Sturridge

RVP

Dzeko 1 every 141

Kane

Shearer

Solksjaer

Owen 1 every 153

Remy

Ian Wright

BONY 1 every 157

Ba

Giroud

Drogba 1 every 168

Cole

Klinnsmann

Hasselbaink 1 every 170

Fowler

Torres

Ronaldo

Benteke 1 every 173

When you look at the fact that he has played for arguably the least "elite" club in that list it shows he has a very good record. Above all he's a good all round striker.

Pretty useless stat when you consider how many more minutes some of those players played than Bony. Also towards the ends of their careers.

Pretty useless stat when you consider how many more minutes some of those players played than Bony. Also towards the ends of their careers.

If it has lacina traore 1st on 1 goal every 90 minutes then I'd agree.

Bony has played over 80 premier league games... a more than adequate sample size.

The reality is it all boils down to the desired 1 in 2 goalscorer ratio that depicts top strikers. There are no bad goalscorers in that bunch.

The fact that Owen and Fowler are lower down only demonstrates how shite they became after injuries and essentially got match time despite being finished. It took a couple of desperate clubs to realise this.

Fact stands - Bony has a good record.

Bony has played over 80 premier league games... a more than adequate sample size.

The reality is it all boils down to the desired 1 in 2 goalscorer ratio that depicts top strikers. There are no bad goalscorers in that bunch.

The fact that Owen and Fowler are lower down only demonstrates how shite they became after injuries and essentially got match time despite being finished. It took a couple of desperate clubs to realise this.

Where did the stat come from Haf? Sure Rom can't be far off it given the amount of sub appearances he had for West Brom and the lack of ninety for us. Twenty-two of his forty-three games for Chelsea and West Brom he came off the bench; and often if he started he was subbed, same as happened for a long time with us.

Rough calculation (being generous on the minutes played) I've got him at one every 178 mins, but I'm pretty certain he'll be better than that in reality. Maybe he was next on the list and you decided to cut off at the point you did for that reason ;).

Anyway, source of stat would be interesting, I can't find it anywhere.

I've no doubt Bony would do pretty well here but I don't think he's as good as Lukaku! Would need another striker to help him out!

Whatever we think about who we can or should get - the reality is that he will be off.

I always think replacing players is as much an opportunity as it is a risk. Look at Liverpool - sold Torres for £50m and bought Suarez for less than half the price and Carroll for far too much - case in point.

thats supposed reality hasn't happened, he's an Everton player until the end of the season and contracted for another 3 after that

Where did the stat come from Haf? Sure Rom can't be far off it given the amount of sub appearances he had for West Brom and the lack of ninety for us. Twenty-two of his forty-three games for Chelsea and West Brom he came off the bench; and often if he started he was subbed, same as happened for a long time with us.

Rough calculation (being generous on the minutes played) I've got him at one every 178 mins, but I'm pretty certain he'll be better than that in reality. Maybe he was next on the list and you decided to cut off at the point you did for that reason ;).

Anyway, source of stat would be interesting, I can't find it anywhere.

http://www.express.co.uk/pictures/galleries/3466/Minute-per-goal-ratio-Premier-League-history/Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-79351

Keep scrolling...

So the stats are six months old, and they're from the Daily Express; the paragon of fact.

*Sets to ignore mode*

Whether they are 6 months old or not they are stats relevant at the time, unlikely to have changed much since. Talk sport had the same stats for the top 10 no longer playing except this was in oct 2014.

So yeah the stats are correct as I validated the Bony ones and a couple of others on whoscored.com.

The daily express does give us heatwave warnings and house prices are set to treble bullshit but they have aggregated the stats correctly.

For your comfort I have got lukaku at 1 every 169 as at today. Before this season he was 1 every 179. So in and around the time of this table he would have been just outside the top 25.

Edited by Hafnia

We were indeed.

Two strikers is a must if Rom goes, Kone isn't good enough back-up.

I know jury is still out on Niasse but we will also have the swiss lad Tarashaj next season, so If Rom does get enticed to a bigger club like Madrid I can see just the one striker, someone like Bony may not be a bad fit as he has proven himself in the premiership and you have the potential of the other two coming through for competition.

Everyone forgotten we still have Kone to lead the line of Lukaku goes :'(

He will be gone in the summer IMO. He's finished.

There will be a merry go round in the striker department - Man United will probably go for Kane at around £65m to replace Rooney... Kane is now on a premier league goal every 132 minutes

I think Lukaku will be off to PSG and I think Arsenal may well go for Benzema.

He will be gone in the summer IMO. He's finished.

There will be a merry go round in the striker department - Man United will probably go for Kane at around £65m to replace Rooney... Kane is now on a premier league goal every 132 minutes

I think Lukaku will be off to PSG and I think Arsenal may well go for Benzema.

I agree and PSG seem the likeliest of clubs to take him. Hopefully a bidding war for him, id love him to stay but i just cant see it.

Iv been reading some posts on twitter and forums about the players we will sign and some names are crazy, we have investment yes but we still wont be able to compete with most clubs for top top players.

Edited by Dean

For your comfort I have got lukaku at 1 every 169 as at today.

Thank-you for confirming that I was correct.

So just one minute a goal behind Drogba eh? Not too shabby.