IGNORED

Ross Barkley

Really?

Yeah... really. The very fact we are still talking about a trophy less manager who took a title winning team to their lowest league position in years says alot about how expetactions of this club have dropped.

Let's be honest if you are gonna call moyes a good manager based on what he did "based on resouces" then Alan curbishley is a fookin genius.

Edited by Hafnia

Yeah... really. The very fact we are still talking about a trophy less manager who took a title winning team to their lowest league position in years says alot about how expetactions of this club have dropped.

Let's be honest if you are gonna call moyes a good manager based on what he did "based on resouces" then Alan curbishley is a fookin genius.

Is that the same side Van Gal has thrown over £250m at and done even worse with?

And yes I think Alan Curbishley did a good job at Charlton for a few years

Is that the same side Van Gal has thrown over £250m at and done even worse with?

And yes I think Alan Curbishley did a good job at Charlton for a few years

I don't get why Van Gaal keeps getting brought into it?! Yes, he's spent money there and fucked it up too. Underperformed.

Is anybody mentioning Van Gaal coming to us? No. So where's the relevance? Two wrongs make a right?!

"Oh Moyes wwent in, got rid of great coaches and replaced them with unproven ones and struggled but it's ok because Van Gaal has messed it up to".

It's a totally different scenario...Moyes inherited a set up that won the league...Van Gaal inherited a set up that finished 7th. But both have done shit with good resources.

Anyway...I've just realised this is the Barkley thread!!! I thought I was in the 'If Martinez goes....' thread. Haha.

On Barkley....still for me, when watching him, he needs to know what he is going to do before he gets to the edge of the box, not decide when he gets there. He needs to see the full picture ahead him. And lose this tendency to take extra touches...but I think that us down to him nor knowing what to do next. That might be what stops him being a real top player, that natural visual footballing brain.

On the other hand, it could be that his partner in crime is Lukaku. Early in the season these 2 were on fire. Link up play was pretty good. The last few months they play like strangers. Mind, most of the team do!!!

I wonder if we will still be talking about Lukaku as some striker benchmark 3 years after he leaves the club after winning naff all despite having opportunities in key games where he bottled it? key games that he is so desperate to leave us to be a part of.

Ffs we are Everton, we are still talking about a long tenured highly paid manager who won nothing. A player who despite showing games of brilliance reverts to a Kenwyn jones tribute act on too many occassions.

Let's hope moshiri injects some much needed expectation in this once great club so that we aren't talking about a manager and player who seen us as a stepping stone and we start talking about a manager and players who have a hunger to win at Everton.

I don't get why Van Gaal keeps getting brought into it?! Yes, he's spent money there and fucked it up too. Underperformed.

Is anybody mentioning Van Gaal coming to us? No. So where's the relevance? Two wrongs make a right?!

"Oh Moyes wwent in, got rid of great coaches and replaced them with unproven ones and struggled but it's ok because Van Gaal has messed it up to".

It's a totally different scenario...Moyes inherited a set up that won the league...Van Gaal inherited a set up that finished 7th. But both have done shit with good resources.

Anyway...I've just realised this is the Barkley thread!!! I thought I was in the 'If Martinez goes....' thread. Haha.

On Barkley....still for me, when watching him, he needs to know what he is going to do before he gets to the edge of the box, not decide when he gets there. He needs to see the full picture ahead him. And lose this tendency to take extra touches...but I think that us down to him nor knowing what to do next. That might be what stops him being a real top player, that natural visual footballing brain.

On the other hand, it could be that his partner in crime is Lukaku. Early in the season these 2 were on fire. Link up play was pretty good. The last few months they play like strangers. Mind, most of the team do!!!

Kone.

for the last time becuase he's a world class manager. he's won CL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Eredivise, 3rd at a world cup. the point is one of the best managers in the world can't even turn that club around proves it wasn't moyes fault.

back to barkley. we need a new manager to get the best out of him. tell him to run a marathon and learn to tackle.

back to barkley. we need a new manager to get the best out of him. tell him to run a marathon and learn to tackle.

Why so important that he learns to tackle given the position he plays? Is it more important that his decision making becomes sharper or that he learns to tackle? What will have more impact on his game? Of all the players that play in his position, how many do you see tackling?

Fitness wise. Maybe. But considering he comes so deep to collect the ball and finishes up the other end of the pitch, I'd say he covers some distance.

He doesn't need to learn to tackle, he can tackle just fine. But he could probably have a bigger influence on how we play from a more central position. Even from where he currently plays, defending from the front might stop us conceding so many goals.

Why so important that he learns to tackle given the position he plays? Is it more important that his decision making becomes sharper or that he learns to tackle? What will have more impact on his game? Of all the players that play in his position, how many do you see tackling?

Fitness wise. Maybe. But considering he comes so deep to collect the ball and finishes up the other end of the pitch, I'd say he covers some distance.

because i think he's more box to box than creative ACM. if he can tackle occaisionally and work harder (watch delle alli) he could be a lot greater. his decision making is down to the manager, he says "ross do whatever you want, you'll grow and learn and blah blah". he needs someone to tell him to stop dribbling so much and make quicker decisions. dribble all you want if you grab at the half way line and no one is on you, sure have a go, but just turning around in circles dribbling about to pass it 5 yards to mccarthy is worthless. that's down to the managers instructions.

It's not the tackling as much as the effort to retrieve the ball....or offer something when we don't have the ball.

I hate to see less than average players walk past him like he doesn't exist.

If he had half the effort of Ali then o would be happy.

His technique is unquestionable.

I don't even have a problem with his decision making, it will get better with experience.

His hold up play is excellent.

His ball retention is excellent.

He just needs more effort.

He could be an amazing player. I just hope he isn't going to be a tabloid story in years to come.....Barkley could have had it all.

It's not the tackling as much as the effort to retrieve the ball....or offer something when we don't have the ball.

I hate to see less than average players walk past him like he doesn't exist.

If he had half the effort of Ali then o would be happy.

His technique is unquestionable.

I don't even have a problem with his decision making, it will get better with experience.

His hold up play is excellent.

His ball retention is excellent.

He just needs more effort.

He could be an amazing player. I just hope he isn't going to be a tabloid story in years to come.....Barkley could have had it all.

exactly (although i would like a tackle or 2 every now and again, hell spurs have even kane and eriksen tackling, TEAM effort).

Ross is the best marker of space in the Premiership when the opposition have possession. We need a manager who can get him working harder. How often, when the opposition get possession and play a long ball, do we see Ross jogging back 20 yards behind the play. He obviously doesn't see 'defence' as being an integral part of his role. The fact that he has been doing it for the whole season means that Martinez doesn't see it either.

Ross is the best marker of space in the Premiership when the opposition have possession. We need a manager who can get him working harder. How often, when the opposition get possession and play a long ball, do we see Ross jogging back 20 yards behind the play. He obviously doesn't see 'defence' as being an integral part of his role. The fact that he has been doing it for the whole season means that Martinez doesn't see it either.

spot on.

I'll say again, Martinez has taken defensive responsibility away from Ross. He's made no secret of it. Rom also doesn't have defensive responsibility. For me everyone on that field should have the responsibility.

You can't play the system and style we do without everyone having to pull their weight, so I don't understand why Martinez has done that. Sure, there should be players that have less of a defensive responsibility, but each and every one of them has to do some.

Edited by Romey 1878

You can't play the system and style we do without everyone having to pull their weight, so I don't understand why Martinez has done that. Sure, there should be players that have less of a defensive responsibility, but each and every one of them has to do some.

Because he hasn't got a clue??

As far as I'm concernced, Ross has blown his chance for the Euros because Ali is simply a much better player right now, just as Spurs are a much better team than us. Until he learns to work, to track back and put a foot in, he will never fulfil his potential - there just isn't room for those 'luxury' players, especially in the Prem. Watch Barca or Real - their superstar forwards are expected to work back like everyone else. Barkley needs a rocket and a new fitness regime.

• 4 weeks later...

He's been nowhere near as bad this season as the media have made out.

Admittedly, along with "esteemed" forward (sarcasm, before I get lynched) went massively off the boil from about February and for whatever reason didn't give a flying iota about the way he(they) was playing.

He's been one of our most 'productive' players this year. Martinez didn't help the lad (or the team) at the end of the year, so much so, the quite heartbreaking video (I actually did find it quite sad) of him thinking the fans were booing him at Wembley, when they were directed at Roberto, should how much he's being affected by it all.

Edited by Lowensda

Martinez gave him much needed freedom after moyes put too much emphasis on being cautionary.

This freedom kinda got out of hand. There is having a free role and there is still doing a job off the ball. I've said a million times - he needs a mentor. Gerrard had mcallister. It's no use Barry being his mentor as he's not that type of midfielder.

Barkley could do with a 30 something Scholes, lampard, talking him through the game.