IGNORED

Ross Barkley

I didn't see much wrong in barkley game. Every time he got the ball he looked to move it forward. One or two bad pass choices but other than that he was alright, showed alot.

Maybe I'm just being harsh on him because I know he's capable of so much more? I don't expect him to control games all the time but I know he can, and I just feel like he spends far too many games just coasting. What he's showing now isn't a patch on what he was doing at the start of the season.

Maybe I'm just being harsh on him because I know he's capable of so much more? I don't expect him to control games all the time but I know he can, and I just feel like he spends far too many games just coasting. What he's showing now isn't a patch on what he was doing at the start of the season.

Id agree with that. A lad of his talent should run games. He just can't get the mindset to do it. He is pretty bloody good on the ball though, even when not on his game.

I think I am alone here haha but I was watching him thinking, wow he's turned a corner.

Very solid on the ball and pushed it forward much more than usual.

He still tried to hard to be safe at times, but that will slowly grow out of him as he realises his ability.

For me I agree that he showed a lot of maturity in that deep position. He just needs to let go of his inhibitions when going forward now

Hes playing differently now though, hes not getting involved in tackles, but hes not just playing to be out and out attack anymore. Hes still playing well for me, teams are scared of him and that works to our advantage. six goals and eight assists in the league is a pretty good return so far.

Phil McNulty (again)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35218462

Everton may have underachieved this season but Barkley continues to develop as one of his club's and England's most exciting talents.

Barkley's form dipped last season after the World Cup but, rested and rejuvenated, he was still going strong at the final whistle at Goodison Park, emerging with Romelu Lukaku as Everton's best hope for a winner.

He has struggled with decision making in the past but there is more measure in his play this season. As well as scoring six Premier League goals, he could yet emerge as the number 10 in England's plans for France.

Barkley is also becoming more of a team player and more reliable with his passing, while still retaining his eye for the unexpected, which will please Hodgson who has occasionally taken him to task for his wastefulness.

Everton boss Martinez has no complaints, saying: "This was Ross Barkley's most mature performance in three years. It was a really good game between two teams not afraid to invest in young players. Ross now fits into a structure - he plays in different roles and masters them."

Martinez occasionally errs on the side of hyperbole but there is no doubt that if Hodgson can find a way to harness Barkley's talent into his England side - and trust his game management against international sides of the highest class - he will increase his chances of success at Euro 2016.

I criticised him heavily in the previous game but I thought he was a lot better last night.

Running with the ball he was brilliant, he's like a bull when he gets going. I love watching him drive at the opposition. And his movement off the ball to get himself into space was very good also. His passing and decision-making were very poor though. However, I can forgive it because it was mostly down to him taking risks in trying to make things happen, which is exactly what I've been saying he's neglected to do for the past few weeks.

I thought his best spell was in the final 10 minutes or so though when we were trying to just control the play to close the game out (good game management for a change!). He was invaluable in this period because he was winning us time wasting free-kicks due to taking responsibility onto himself and keeping hold of the ball. It's that taking responsibility that I've been crying out for him to do and it really was lovely watching him showing his class and maturity in that way.

I still have a major problem with his effort off the ball when we're defending though.

In my opinion he is playing better than last season, but still far from our or England's solution in the middle of the park as a playmaker in the long run -

His vision and decision making is far too slow - too many touches when he is not running with the ball -

His passing or sometimes lack thereof lets him down too often - eg Lukaku was waiting for a back pass in front of goal but Barkley went for glory -

he looks to me more and more like a player we should try in the striker position because his first instinct/preference appears to strike rather than to pass if he gets into the final 3rd

Everton still needs a proper nr 10 before we can run with the big dogs consistantly

When in posession, I thought he was brilliant. But the second half he waited for the passes, instead of searching for it.

The hunger and drive in the first half is what we'd like to expect every game. He needs a goal though. That usually helps his performances by a good 10-20% but against City, his retention and distribution was VERY good.

When in posession, I thought he was brilliant. But the second half he waited for the passes, instead of searching for it.

The hunger and drive in the first half is what we'd like to expect every game. He needs a goal though. That usually helps his performances by a good 10-20% but against City, his retention and distribution was VERY good.

as i've said before - I think he is carrying too much bulk - not fat, too much upper body mass. Watch him after a run, he walks for a minute. Want him a bit trimmer.

In my opinion he is playing better than last season, but still far from our or England's solution in the middle of the park as a playmaker in the long run -

His vision and decision making is far too slow - too many touches when he is not running with the ball -

His passing or sometimes lack thereof lets him down too often - eg Lukaku was waiting for a back pass in front of goal but Barkley went for glory -

he looks to me more and more like a player we should try in the striker position because his first instinct/preference appears to strike rather than to pass if he gets into the final 3rd

Everton still needs a proper nr 10 before we can run with the big dogs consistently

I can remember an interview with him some time ago where he says he was best as a striker

Trouble is when he goes deep to search for the ball, he is out of position and has so much to do to turn it into an attack.

Personally I think this has been a much better season for him, his passing is crisper, his ball retention and use much improved and he has cored goals.

What I love about him, Cleverley and Besic is that they are always open for a pass, and look to use it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/22/ross-barkley-everton-risks-roberto-martinez

I've been saying this for months. Good to see it's something that Roberto has noticed and will get him to work on.

The only problem is that as soon as he does take those risks people will be on his back for losing the ball

I think a lot of Premiership clubs have sussed him. His trademark movement is to feint to go one way, then double back the other. It was noticeable against Swansea that the Swansea defenders just stood back and watched him and when he realised that he hadn't sold them a 'dummy', he wasn't sure what to do. On a number of occasions, he then doubled back again, but still it didn't work and he ended up going nowhere.

I think a lot of Premiership clubs have sussed him. His trademark movement is to feint to go one way, then double back the other. It was noticeable against Swansea that the Swansea defenders just stood back and watched him and when he realised that he hadn't sold them a 'dummy', he wasn't sure what to do. On a number of occasions, he then doubled back again, but still it didn't work and he ended up going nowhere.

I think you underestimate him John, sussing him doesn't mean you're able to stop him. Messi goes into games where the opposition know what he's capable of, they just can't do anything to stop it.

He's in a slight slump at the moment but he'll be back better than ever imo.