IGNORED

Ross Barkley

Funny isn't it - in Barkley and Lukaku we have 2 of the biggest 22 year olds you will see in their position and they don't use their size anywhere near the way they should.

Speaking to that fella last week - the players who were tough and strong - Bobby Collins, Morrisey, Giles, Stiles, they were small in comparison - goes to show the old adage not the size of the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog.

I did always think that Barkley reminded me of a pit bull. Albeit a rather stupid one.

Its the effort for me with Barkley that's the problem, time and time again a player just walks past him, no effort to challenge, to pressure or to win the ball back. Maybe these are the instructions he receives from the manager? I don't know but you look at other young players in the league and they are excelling and Barkley is going backwards.

He's a blue like the rest of us, not someone who's bought into the club like other players who love it here. He was born into this like we were. If anyone is feeling it after the game it's him. He knows there is a weight of expectation on his shoulders, probably more than anyone else in the team. As the local hero and potential match winner, it must be tough for the lad.

After the challenge by Hererra it was like a switch had been flicked and he was fired up. I honestly think if he was getting into more tackles himself we would see a more fired up, aggressive, and playing on instinct rather than thinking about what he does next. That's my big hope for the next manager, get Ross angry!

Dean - the not tackling is his instructions for the manager. They've made no secret about that over the last few years. He seemed to ignore the instructions in the second half though.

This. Another manager comes in, watch him change. There are some things Martinez has done right...Lukaku is the main example of that. Over the years we've had a good number of decent strikers that Moyes turned into channel-running dogs. AJ was the prime example of that. Dangerous in and around the box, but then by the time he got a chance there he was knackered from chasing Hibbert's chipped balls down the line. Lukaku is clearly told to stay on the centre halves, play a centrally as possible, and just be there when the ball is in and around the box. Similar story with Ross, I think he's given the freedom and told your job is to carry the ball and support Rom, the DMs will win the ball back.

I'm worried the board and Martinez 'held talks' on Friday and we still haven't heard anything. Surely they haven't swallowed his bullshit? He will sink this club, we're already going to lose Stones and Lukaku, if Ross follows I can see us following Villa, no one will want to play for him.

Its ironic that Moyes was perceived to be holding Barkley back yet the player speaks so highly of him yet the man many credit with his development he doesn't want to play for.... if the story is to be beleived

Ross Barkley who text David Moyes and took the piss out of him on Leon osmans phone after having a great few months under martinez?

Why does everything have to be a David Moyes vs Roberto comparison dunc? Let it go, he's the longest serving one club premier league manager to never win a trophy. We made him a very very rich man whilst he spent year afer year dampening expectation.

Ross Barkley who text David Moyes and took the piss out of him on Leon osmans phone after having a great few months under martinez?

Why does everything have to be a David Moyes vs Roberto comparison dunc? Let it go, he's the longest serving one club premier league manager to never win a trophy. We made him a very very rich man whilst he spent year afer year dampening expectation.

Ive never heard that story so couldn't comment

Its not all about Moyes and Roberto but when you were so vociferous in your hatred for Moyes you used Barkley as a stick to beat him with because he tried to make him a more disciplined player and you championed the way Roberto has told him to express himself but forget about his defensive responsibilities ,the lad is now getting slaughtered for it and his confidence is brittle as a result.

So its worth pointing out that Moyes may have been right all along

Ive never heard that story so couldn't comment

Its not all about Moyes and Roberto but when you were so vociferous in your hatred for Moyes you used Barkley as a stick to beat him with because he tried to make him a more disciplined player and you championed the way Roberto has told him to express himself but forget about his defensive responsibilities ,the lad is now getting slaughtered for it and his confidence is brittle as a result.

So its worth pointing out that Moyes may have been right all along

Well the story emerged as a rumour that barkley had taken osmans phone and gave moyes stick... it was seen as "yeah whatever" then in osmans book he confirmed that a player did indeed take his phone and have a go at Moyes but in the book he didn't state the name. It was barkley.

Moyes may have been right about what all along? That barkley was a right midfielder? Cos that's where he played him when he wasn't at clubs like Leeds or Sheffield wed.

I just can't be arsed talking about a manager who won nothing, never beat the top 4 away from home in 10 years but did a decent enough job in book balancing and giving us a spurs like existence. It really doesn't warrant the air time he gets.

You like the man, I get it... he's not our manager any more he did a reasonably decent job for us but nothing more.

My feelings exactly

I don't want him back but people who can't acknowledge the job he did here is just baffling to me

What do you want people to say??? No one said he's shit, at worst most say he was void of ideas, an inability to evolve, an overly pragmatic manager who played for draws to get points who never...he balanced the books and gave us top half finishes...went on to a club who gave him money and tried to make them an expensive Everton bore fest and failed. Did a decent job for us and dined out on it for years.

We move on...

Edited by Hafnia

What do you want people to say??? No one said he's shit, at worst most say he was void of ideas, an inability to evolve, an overly pragmatic manager who played for draws to get points who never...he balanced the books and gave us top half finishes...went on to a club who gave him money and tried to make them an expensive Everton bore fest and failed. Did a decent job for us and dined out on it for years.

We move on...

It's this bit that gripes me everytime. That completely plays down what he did here and you know it. He achieved much much more that "top 10" finishes. Your issue with Moyes is obviously on par with your Lukaku issue.

Just saw the highlights, brilliant from Ross for the second, why can't he do that more often!

A very good, and very important, question. Or irritated exclamation. My answer is that it was a perfect, but very atypical, pass from Barkley because it was one-touch football. Rather than his too-frequent over-dribbling, he simply and immediately pushed the ball out into space for Lennon.

My (perhaps over-) criticism of Barkley is that he sometimes seems obsessed -- one manifestation of his bad football brain -- with proving he can close-dribble through 3-4 opponents before taking a blast. Or he prefers an impressive, difficult pass to a basic, straightforward, but effective pass.

Yesterday his brain worked right and told his foot to just lay it on to the moving Lennon.

It's this bit that gripes me everytime. That completely plays down what he did here and you know it. He achieved much much more that "top 10" finishes. Your issue with Moyes is obviously on par with your Lukaku issue.

They will both on par with each other in terms of being highly over rated in terms of what they did at "lowly" Everton only to fail at thd highest level.

The reality is both men are big game bottlers. If you could have a career playing mid to lower table clubs these are your boys.

Edited by Hafnia