IGNORED

Ross Barkley

If Mirallas could have gotten out of the way, his chance in the second half would have gone in.

I agree, but I'm talking about his ability as a attacking threat down the left wing making chances for others, which is virtually (if not completely) zero. Certainly he can get himself in the box if the attack comes from another source, that was the point I was making.

I disagree Steve, apart from the Holyfield incident Tyson was the complete pinnacle of his sport. He was a model professional until people outside of the ring took advantage of what was a naive and talented young man. Any sportsman could do much worse than be influenced by a man like him. If Ross can be as feared on a football pitch for his ability as Tyson was in the ring, he will do great things.

Liking the last para about Kendall's funeral...

“When I was at the funeral I looked around and saw all those players,” he recalls. “I was thinking of the history of the club and how it used to be, back then, winning things. All the best players mixing together and having success with Howard, who was a great manager and goes down as the best manager in Everton’s history. You want that. I want that. As a group, we know we can go down in the club’s history if we are the next team to win something. We have the potential in the squad to achieve that and it will be a waste if we don’t win something.”

Liking the last para about Kendall's funeral...

When I was at the funeral I looked around and saw all those players, he recalls. I was thinking of the history of the club and how it used to be, back then, winning things. All the best players mixing together and having success with Howard, who was a great manager and goes down as the best manager in Evertons history. You want that. I want that. As a group, we know we can go down in the clubs history if we are the next team to win something. We have the potential in the squad to achieve that and it will be a waste if we dont win something.

That's why the fans need to get behind this lad. He gets it. He knows what everton is all about. He is a match winner.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd drop him against Leicester. He was a liability yesterday and when he's off colour that's all he is.

I'd either replace him in the number 10 role with Naismith or Mirallas because better they're better finishers than Kone, or play Mirallas or Lennon on the left and move Kone up with Lukaku.

Performances like yesterday are unacceptable and dropping him would tell him so.

Edited by Romey 1878

I respected Pardew last week when he said his players had to fight for positions, when asked about Jedinak having been out of the team.

Martinez comes across as a friendly down to earth bloke. However there is certainly an air of arrogance, ignorance and bullshit about him! Something you could only comment on if you've had a disagreement!

Martinez comes across as a friendly down to earth bloke. However there is certainly an air of arrogance, ignorance and bullshit about him! Something you could only comment on if you've had a disagreement!

I'd call it stubbornness rather than ignorance. Not sure about arrogance. Bullshit for sure, standard, every week. He prattles on, incessantly, about this player or that finally "enjoying his football," or needing to "enjoy his football," or getting back to "enjoying his football." Hard for a player to "enjoy his football" when he isn't playing any football.

I was very enthusiastic at his hiring, and am dismayed at his stubbornness and friendly dishonesty. Maybe he's convinced he's a football genius, so that would be arrogant.

Back to Barkley -- Hope, but doubt, RM is honest enough to admit Barkley had an awful day yesterday, uninvolved, two steps behind the play, dull, dull, dull. Need to start someone else there. Maybe let Naismith get a chance to "enjoy his football." Possibly his last chance at Everton.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

• 3 weeks later...

I've given him some stick recently because for the past month or so I think he's completely disappeared. However, last night I thought it was much closer to the Barkley we got to see at the beginning of the season. He was fairly quiet for most of the first half but really came into the game towards the end of the half with a couple of driving runs that seemed to have given him confidence. He carried that into the second half where he was heavily involved and went on to get an assist.

This is what I want from him. Not coast through games and keep it simple all the time. He's out there to take risks to make things happen for us. We have two holding midfielders so that he can do that. It's no coincidence that he took risks last night and got back to adding to his assists tally.

We're all starting to see that he is going to end up a deeper player. Got laughed at last year for suggesting it but if you think of his strengths...running at people, turning with the ball and keeping possession.....then he has everything needed other than discipline...which will come with experience.

He is capable of spraying the ball around too...just needs the confidence.

We're all starting to see that he is going to end up a deeper player. Got laughed at last year for suggesting it but if you think of his strengths...running at people, turning with the ball and keeping possession.....then he has everything needed other than discipline...which will come with experience.

He is capable of spraying the ball around too...just needs the confidence.

Playing deeper is definitely the role for him, he needs that space in front of him to exploit. He just has to learn to get the balance right. At the moment he's staying deep too often instead of moving forward from there.

Playing deeper is definitely the role for him, he needs that space in front of him to exploit. He just has to learn to get the balance right. At the moment he's staying deep too often instead of moving forward from there.

Yes he seems to hesitate at times and I'm not sure why. I think he could be trying to hard to be disciplined rather than play off his instincts.