IGNORED

Ross Barkley

I was trying to link a piece in the Echo on Ross completing his 100th game and having a look back to how he came through the ranks but the link keeps redirecting to the everton news page

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ross-barkley-100-games-pt-10128323

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

• 2 weeks later...

Yes at it again.... Ross needs to be like totti and baggio and compete with Milner, Henderson, lallana and Delphi..... What a complete wanker, he just doesn't like the lad. "Weve always liked him" ha ha ha.

for Barkley to become a regular in the attacking trio behind a striker, and particularly in the central support role he has enjoyed this season at Everton, the manager admits he must add more bite to his game.

If you want to be that player then you have to score goals, said Hodgson. If we take the real classic players in that position in the past, I would be looking at Roberto Baggio, whom I had the pleasure of working with very briefly [at Internazionale], and Francesco Totti. Over their careers they scored an awful lot of goals and I dont know if you can have the luxury of someone who can play in there unless hes going to be chipping in with a few. Weve talked to Ross about that and Im sure Roberto has too, so hes more than aware of it.

Barkley is at a similar age to that when both Italians first established their reputations. Baggio had enjoyed a relatively prolific season with Vicenza in Serie C1 when he was 18 but his first truly productive campaign was at Fiorentina, in Serie A, as a 21-year-old in 1988-89. Totti flourished with Roma at the age of 22 and made his Italy debut in 1998-99. I think Ross is going to score goals and they would be my template, said Hodgson. He should be thinking: Right, this is the position I want; this is the position Im good at; Im going to provide some goals but Im also going to score a few myself.

In saying that, if hes going to be a real, serious candidate [in this England team], hell have to threaten people like James Milner, Fabian Delph, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana and not just say: Well, if you want me I can only play here, because we might not have that specific position available. This season he really seems to have made a place in the Everton starting lineup his own and I know Robertos pleased with him.

We always liked him. So once again its up to him. There is competition for places but we think hes good enough to play for England and hell get his chances. Hes got the qualities, dont worry about that. Hes a big powerful lad, he can go from box to box. He doesnt lack anything at all.

I cant stand Woy but whilst the comment about him needing to compete with Milner, Henderson, Lallana and Delph did raise my eyebrows, he is already much better then all of them, I do think a lot of what he said makes sense

I fully agree with him that if Ross wants to be a number 10, and he has stated that's where he sees as his best position, then he needs to add goals to his game. So far this season he is doing that and long may it continue!

Hodgson is chatting shite saying he has to live up to two absolute greats to make the England team. Totti was young player of the year in Serie A in 1998 as Roma finished fourth, but didnt make the Italian World Cup squad. So he's putting pressure on Barkley by telling him he has to live up to an all-time great who wasnt even an established international at the same age. Ross needs to be given time and space to develop, he can and will get better. Totti came into is own about 24 when Roma won the title.

I do agree more goals would be nice. The miss against West Brom show he's still a nervous finisher.

Hodgson is chatting shite saying he has to live up to two absolute greats to make the England team. Totti was young player of the year in Serie A in 1998 as Roma finished fourth, but didnt make the Italian World Cup squad. So he's putting pressure on Barkley by telling him he has to live up to an all-time great who wasnt even an established international at the same age. Ross needs to be given time and space to develop, he can and will get better. Totti came into is own about 24 when Roma won the title.

I do agree more goals would be nice. The miss against West Brom show he's still a nervous finisher.

Agreed.... Also the miss against Southampton

The problem with hodgasaurus is that Barkley doesn't need his abilities questioning - he doesn't need to be told that he is competing with Jordan "I'm really hard" Henderson and his Robbie Savage impersonation, nor is he competing with James "odd job" Milner and his overstated Phil Neville impersonation.

To be perfectly honest I really dont see how he's competing with Adam "you all think I'm 23 not 27 cos I can't grow facial hair" lallana.

All hodgson is trying to do is add some credibility to a very dull cv by saying he managed one of these players. this is the man who signed Christian Poulsen, Paul Konchesky and drum roll please Joe "I have absolutely no desire to do anything but showboat" Cole.

He's a fuckin fraud. He will take us back to the Graham Taylor era.

For having the premier league your standards for the national team are shit. How people are okay with hodgson and the FA is bewildering.

It's like you're Italian racing team but instead of using Ferrari you race a ford.

To be fair I don't think There is any real stand out England players anymore.

Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Owen. How that side never came close to winning anything I don't know.

You look at it now:

Clyne, Smalling, Cahill, Gibbs, Walcott, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling..... It's just not the same level

Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Owen. How that side never came close to winning anything I don't know.

You look at it now:

Clyne, Smalling, Cahill, Gibbs, Walcott, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling..... It's just not the same level

Great point.

You look at it now:

Missing the great big reason.... Paul Scholes. Scholes was the player who every top international side recognised as our best player. We stuck him out on the left and he retired.

Barkley is at risk of being treated the same way.

Edited by Hafnia

Missing the great big reason.... Paul Scholes. Scholes was the player who every top international side recognised as our best player. We stuck him out on the left and he retired.

Completely agree Scholes consistently delivered for England, and the team sheet should have been preprinted with his name already on it.

A prime example of poor management.

I really think that this could be the day Ross comes of age today, this could be his derby

Maybe Barry was the key player then. Because the guy who plays next to him and gets all the plaudits as been distinctively average again this season. I'd have Barry over McCartgy any day of the week at the moment.

If I remember rightly Gerrard was thrown out on the left for a long period. Scholes wasn't the same player for England.

Tbh for the fact he's mentioned Totti and Baggio as a bench mark shows he rates him fairly highly. The thing with Hodgson is he's absolutely clueless. Ross isn't ready to be England's regular 10 and carrying us. A couple more seasons - maybe.

Exactly. Just as Totti wasnt ready to carry the Italians at 21

So in a word, Eriksen

Sven I believe.

Forgotten which player it was, May have been zidane, pirlo or xavi who said their international team mates thought it was a joke when scholes was shifted out wide for the likes of Gerrard and lampard. Apparently they laughed at Englander stupidity.

I think it's become kinda well known now... Scholes was admired by every player he played with and against as the best...

Sven I believe.

Forgotten which player it was, May have been zidane, pirlo or xavi who said their international team mates thought it was a joke when scholes was shifted out wide for the likes of Gerrard and lampard. Apparently they laughed at Englander stupidity.

I think it's become kinda well known now... Scholes was admired by every player he played with and against as the best...

I know, it was the spelling of it that threw me. Then I realised.