IGNORED

Ross Barkley

I think too many people look for him to be carrying the teams.

At 20-22 Steven Gerrard had Gary Mcallister showing him the ropes, someone who he credits with giving him the most developement in his career - he mentored him.

Who is mentoring Ross? His technical & physical ability is frightening, Joe Cole who talks really well identified him as "the best out there" in terms of ability. Its his mindset and character that needs bringing out.

For me Gareth Barry should be that person but he is a defensive midfielder - someone who can teach McCarthy. For me as much as it pains me to say, I would love Gerrard to mentor Barkley - that isn't gonna happen so who should it be?

It needs to be someone who has been there and done it, who understands how Barkley can improve.

At 20-22 Steven Gerrard had Gary Mcallister showing him the ropes, someone who he credits with giving him the most developement in his career - he mentored him.

Who is mentoring Ross? His technical & physical ability is frightening, Joe Cole who talks really well identified him as "the best out there" in terms of ability. Its his mindset and character that needs bringing out.

For me Gareth Barry should be that person but he is a defensive midfielder - someone who can teach McCarthy. For me as much as it pains me to say, I would love Gerrard to mentor Barkley - that isn't gonna happen so who should it be?

It needs to be someone who has been there and done it, who understands how Barkley can improve.

Excellent.

Key point being, his age. One thing that is obvious with him playing a deeper role is his defensive awareness is near non-existent. I don't think that can be coached into him now, he needs to be settled into an ACM role where his abundant strengths can flourish.

Don't write him off yet, very few players his age are the finished article. And put it this way, he did as much as Rooney last night, and he's apparently one of the all-time greats...

England bypassed Barkley in the first half, they were obsessed with getting the ball to Sterling.

Second half he played ok, till he was made into holding midfielder

That they did and he was turbo gash. How Sterling went for £50m baffles me.

He's so far from the finished product, it's unreal.

Sorry lads I don't see it. Sterling is an excellent player and still only a young lad too. I thought he was excellent at Goodison this season

Most Liverpool fans even before he left said that he will shine in certain games with better players around him but he has games where he is "AWFUL" - I agree, I thought he was good against us.

The thing he has on his side is pace and he is very confident. If and when he loses that confidence I think you will see him become a Shaun Wright Phillips.

I do think that he will get sussed out. I think a few teams will look to slam a hard tackle or two into him,

How some can say he's not the player they thought after one game for a flat England side that's restricted by Hodgeosaurus is daft

He's simply not the same player for England he's given very little freedom and plays in a set up that only allows the front three to do any of the real attacking play

The more Ross plays the more I feel he won't become the world class player I thought he'd be.

He has been great for us so far, his driving us forward and passing have been great, not to mention his goals. He is still very young remember anything form is bound to fluctuate.

Most of those in the game and commentators believe him to be a real talent, so do I.

He has been great for us so far, his driving us forward and passing have been great, not to mention his goals. He is still very young remember anything form is bound to fluctuate.

Most of those in the game and commentators believe him to be a real talent, so do I.

That's not my point. I thought he was going to go on and be one of the best midfielders in the world in the mould of Kroos etc. his progress has stagnated considerably. I think he'll go on to be a very good premier league player but not world class. There's something missing.

That's not my point. I thought he was going to go on and be one of the best midfielders in the world in the mould of Kroos etc. his progress has stagnated considerably. I think he'll go on to be a very good premier league player but not world class. There's something missing.

Its his brain. I think he lacks assertiveness and belief in himself - that may come with time.

Honestly think it's the younger years he missed through injury. Scariest part is, his technique and ability is still so high, without those early injuries the player we could have had could possibly be better then kroos.

Its his brain. I think he lacks assertiveness and belief in himself - that may come with time.

I agree that it's his brain. But I mean something different: lack of pitch awareness and intuitive understanding of what to do, when and to whom to pass, etc.

I've played sports all my life, as I'm sure most/all of you have done. I guess most players, no matter their physical talents, have an average intuitive understanding. Some are outstanding in this regard, making up in "smarts" what they lack in physical prowess. Barry is such an example; but now his pace has so much deteriorated that his great pitch sense only partially justifies his minutes.

Barkley doesn't appear to be able quickly -- instantaneous intuition -- to assess his and teammates' position, movement, expectations. This is so fundamental to an attacking mid that in some important sense, Barkley doesn't understand the game. Or at least the game he needs to play to be consistently effective, as opposed to intermittently brilliant.

If he doesn't believe in himself, perhaps it's because he correctly intuits that his football intuition is poor. And cannot be easily "learned."

The problem is that Ross has no idea what type of player he is. And I can't work it out either.

He's not a driving type player.

He's not a fast paced player.

He doesn't spray passes around.

He is calm on the ball and can be tidy.

What type of player is he?

Hmmm, "not a driving type player"? Isn't he just that? He is, as you say, calm on the ball, almost always preferring to drive forward with the ball, pushing off opponents with strength and balance, looking to blast away as near the top of the box as possible.

I've always said he lacks the hunger to WIN! For me that's his problem. He lacks aggression and the win at all costs attitude. I also don't think he's an intelligent player. He's more worried about what he's doing with the ball (head down) than seeing what's going on around him, seeing passes.... Thinking 2 moves ahead etc. he's got a lot of technical ability no doubt I just thought he'd be better than what he is.

Hmmm, "not a driving type player"? Isn't he just that? He is, as you say, calm on the ball, almost always preferring to drive forward with the ball, pushing off opponents with strength and balance, looking to blast away as near the top of the box as possible.

He's half way between for me. He is capable of it but too often he turns back or slows it down.

I want him to show more hunger and will to get the ball or himself forward at every opportunity.

This may not be entirely fair as I only see the odd televised games, but it seems to me that Barkley does not have a top quality 'football brain'. Think Scholes.

If Barkley lays off a first time pass it seems as though he's decided to do that before he even receives the ball, but no other option is considered. If he starts running with the ball then his mind set is 'running with the ball' and often he does not see other options. This is why he often ends up in a dead-end out wide or doubling back to no purpose. The problem is that you can't 'train' this into a player, he either has it or he doesn't. He undoubtedly has many other fine skills and it is up to Martinez (and Hodgson) to play him in such a way that these skills are maximised.