Sign in to follow this  
Louis

Marcel Brands (DoF)

Not sure if another layer of confusion is what we need, though he has an impressive track record nonetheless. Though, if Walsh's true talent lies as a scout, that's different than being more of an overseer and negotiator and also someone who can implement a philosophy across an organization.

3 hours ago, Lowensda said:

Pick players that everyone is well aware of and pays stupid money for them. 

Its not even like we are picking players up who may be well know but will fit into our system well. We are literally plucking names out of a hat and then trying to squeeze them all into the same side.

I'd rather Ralf Rangnick and then Monchi.  Don't know a huge amount about him, but I guess he's got to be an improvement over Walsh as DoF and gives us another scouting/contact network (if we're keeping both).

16 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

I'd rather Ralf Rangnick and then Monchi.  Don't know a huge amount about him, but I guess he's got to be an improvement over Walsh as DoF and gives us another scouting/contact network (if we're keeping both).

Monchi left Sevilla and signed with Roma this summer he’s going nowhere.

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Monchi left Sevilla and signed with Roma this summer he’s going nowhere.

Can't see Rangnick leaving either unfortunately.  Would be curious who the other on the "shortlist of two" is.  Brands is, apparently, amongst the best of the rest, just think those 2 are clear standouts.

1 hour ago, DownUnderToff said:

Can't see Rangnick leaving either unfortunately.  Would be curious who the other on the "shortlist of two" is.  Brands is, apparently, amongst the best of the rest, just think those 2 are clear standouts.

Weren't we after him to be our manager? 

surprises me!

We usually wait until the end of the season before opening talks. It’s not like us to prepare for an offer while the target is in enployment during a season! 

Good to see us starting now to get a march on other possible suitors.

Not thrilled about him , but if we are to sign him, it should come before the end of the season or at least before we bring in a new manager. The new DoF should have a say in hiring the next manager given the intertwined relationship of the two positions.

I'll point out that Koeman was brought in before Walsh, forcing a working relationship.

I can see Walsh and Shakespeare ending up at WBA if this is true. Shakespeare hasn’t relocated since joining us (the same house he’s had since being a WBA player) - his house was on the market when manager of Leicester but he took it off and is still there currrently.

i'm cautiously optimistic.  He has done the job for a long time so he actually knows what he's doing (unlike Walsh).  the style of play has been an attacking 433.  he's found some nice players there and sold them on for a big profit.  not saying he will be DOF of the year, just think he is better than what we have and could help stabilize the terrible spending (hopefully)

51 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Just doing some reading around and have seen that Fabra was a target at PSV as recently as February and Ozzie (the Turkish lad) was at AZ during Brands’ reign as DoF there.

Could be preempted and further along than we know or I'm just pissing in the wind in hope that this current lot fuck off 

44 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Could be preempted and further along than we know or I'm just pissing in the wind in hope that this current lot fuck off 

I think there will be wholesale changes this summer... hopefully we get it right this time.

2 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

A journo probably just saw that we were linked with Brands and then went out to see who PSV were trying to recruit... and there's his story for the day!

17 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

A journo probably just saw that we were linked with Brands and then went out to see who PSV were trying to recruit... and there's his story for the day!

Probably but I'll cling to anything atm 😥

On 04/04/2018 at 22:27, Makis said:

Not so sure about Lozano.

Looks class considering his age. As marked said though there is always an apprehension with Dutch league players.

walk away now it seems like Koeman all over again he didn't want to come and in the end he couldn't not accept what was on offer that was a big mistake let's not do it again our main priority is a top manager and some decent scouts.

7 minutes ago, patto said:

walk away now it seems like Koeman all over again he didn't want to come and in the end he couldn't not accept what was on offer that was a big mistake let's not do it again our main priority is a top manager and some decent scouts.

interesting perspective @patto .  you might have a point, maybe getting silva who wants to be here and will join and be excited rather than trying to pry someone away who doesn't want to come and only does for the money.  we need to get back to europa and be a proper club again to become a destination managers want to come to.

6 minutes ago, patto said:

Silva was the one we wanted so why not get him now we can't possibly carry on with Sam 

id much rather a guy who wants to be here than a money hungry manager collecting a check.  Silva has something to prove after hopping around so much, and honestly i don't know if we can attract better managers.

Rafa all the way! Look what he did with shambolic team, greedy owner and no budget at all in the world's best football league. Fonesca has yet to prove a lot.