IGNORED

Hatem Ben Arfa

Hmmm I'm not sure on this one. I'd love him here I think he's a great player but he's a bit of a loose cannon. Makes you wonder how his attitude will be if he's benched or dropped if he isn't playing well.

A new start could be the making of him though .

We should go for him at all cost. He's a direct replacement for the ageing Pienaar.

I wouldn't say he is a direct replacement. Pienaar is a work horse who will track back when Baines goes forward. Ben Arfa is lazy doesn't track back much and isn't consistent enough. I would say Martinez would look at Atsu as a direct replacement.

I wouldn't say he is a direct replacement. Pienaar is a work horse who will track back when Baines goes forward. Ben Arfa is lazy doesn't track back much and isn't consistent enough. I would say Martinez would look at Atsu as a direct replacement.

Agreed, and I wouldn't say at all cost either. The 1.5 - 3m bracket is worth a gamble worth taking. No more than that please.

Agreed, and I wouldn't say at all cost either. The 1.5 - 3m bracket is worth a gamble worth taking. No more than that please.

I wouldn't want him at the club, just had a quick search on him and these are some of his past instances....

"While at Clairefontaine, he was a part of A la Clairefontaine, a documentary series which chronicled the lives of some of France's top young footballers during their time at the academy.[9][10] During the series, an episode showed Ben Arfa getting into an argument with Abou Diaby"

"Despite rumors of a rift between himself and Benzema, Ben Arfa signed a contract extension with Lyon in March 2008 until 2010.[24][25] However, his career at Lyon reached an impasse after he got into a training session scuffle with veteran Sébastien Squillaci"

"Similar to his actions in leaving Lyon, Ben Arfa responded to the statement by telling the French sports newspaper L'Equipe that he would not be returning to La Commanderie, Marseille's training facility, and would not play with the team for the remainder of the season.[66][67] He also stated that his relationship with Deschamps had turned sour and was beyond repair.[68][69] Ben Arfa confirmed his intentions by travelling to Newcastle upon Tyne, without authorization, with hopes that Newcastle and Marseille would come to an agreement.[70] After returning to Marseille, he missed several training sessions with his parent club and was, subsequently, left off the match day squad for two league matches against Valenciennes and Lorient.[71] Ben Arfa's number 10 was later given to new signing André-Pierre Gignac, which signaled a transfer was imminent"

I realize that anybody can copy and paste but to me he seems to bring trouble wherever he goes, either with the manager, chairman or players. I don't think I would want a player like him at our club. I haven't even mentioned the Newcastle incident with him and Pardew....

Even if he was 1.5 - 3 million, would you want him at the club?

Edited by bluenosetoffee

Yep , pretty much my thoughts on it. No way would I be wanting to pay more than 3 million because of the baggage and risks involved. It's a big gamble but one that could pay off handsomely.

Could slso bite us in the arse as well like so that for me is why the fee would have to be so small.

If Ben Arfa was even a 10th as good as Maradona you would take the risk but he isnt.

I also dont think Maradona caused as much trouble in the dressing room as Ben Arfa already has.

This only means you condone disruption if there really good. You sound like a contradicting liverpool fan now.

This only means you condone disruption if there really good. You sound like a contradicting liverpool fan now.

If they are going to bring in more points through their performances then they are going to lose from the disruption then you have to weigh up whether its a risk you want to take. My point is that I dont see the point in taking the risk on a player who isnt worth it and clearly doesnt have enough respect for his employers, the fans and the game itself to get himself in shape.

Wanting someone based on reputation is more of Liverpool fan thing which also seems to be happening on the Richards thread as well.

If he came in it would have to be under very strict circumstances, and be on the bench for a few months to make him realise how lucky he is when he finally gets to play.

As there have been no rumours since, I wouldn't expect it to happen.

• 3 weeks later...