IGNORED

What Are You Listening To?

Moyski

To be honest with you Mike I don't understand the point you're making by bringing up Mike Oldfield. His talent doesn't take anything away from Prince's talent.

Just because you don't get it doesn't make it any less meaningful for me.

I don't get the whole "sold shitloads more" comment. That's irrelevant because we're talking about his musicianship, not album sales.

All points taken. Actually if you compare career sales Prince doubtless blew Oldfield out of the water and an individual's talent can't be rationally compared to another's, it's just a question of taste. Was an ill thought out gut reaction to the "multi-instrumentalist" thing, which I just felt was a bit of an exaggeration.

All points taken. Actually if you compare career sales Prince doubtless blew Oldfield out of the water and an individual's talent can't be rationally compared to another's, it's just a question of taste. Was an ill thought out gut reaction to the "multi-instrumentalist" thing, which I just felt was a bit of an exaggeration.

i have a question for you. i see on the fantasy league your name is mike oldfield. are you one and the same with the guy mentioned earlier? or no relation?

i have a question for you. i see on the fantasy league your name is mike oldfield. are you one and the same with the guy mentioned earlier? or no relation?

Yup. I'm a multi-instrumentalist multi millionaire who got bored with fame so decided to spend his life obsessing about Everton :lol:.

No, I'm a big admirer though, seen him live twice and he's astonishing; once with a full orchestra and once with a small band, both brilliant gigs. As far as I know I'm no relation, maybe many generations back.

My musical talent extends to being a very poor guitar player, but I have three of them and enjoy it; definitely not good enough to put myself in front of an audience though!

Having said that my nephew is an astonishing player, Nathan Oldfield, watch for the name.

Yup. I'm a multi-instrumentalist multi millionaire who got bored with fame so decided to spend his life obsessing about Everton :lol:.

No, I'm a big admirer though, seen him live twice and he's astonishing; once with a full orchestra and once with a small band, both brilliant gigs. As far as I know I'm no relation, maybe many generations back.

My musical talent extends to being a very poor guitar player, but I have three of them and enjoy it; definitely not good enough to put myself in front of an audience though!

Having said that my nephew is an astonishing player, Nathan Oldfield, watch for the name.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

So Radiohead have had a new album out for over 24 hours and Matt hasn't posted about it? :o

not been near a computer to get it yet. Saw a video for one track and wasn't that impressed if I'm honest Edited by Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This afternoon, I came across a link to this famous old recording - testimony to the risks associated with live news broadcasts. At one point, the drunk commander tells us, "sorry, I was telling some people to shut up talking" - presumably broadcasters trying to convince the old geyser to shut up.

Partially agree, go along with you on the Bowie thing but (as I've said) Prince never got my attention, not even Purple Rain.

I have seen that video before and his skills are impressive no doubt, but I'd still rather watch Tom Petty or Jeff Lynne (putting the fact that Prince is dead aside so that option isn't open). Steve Winwood I've seen many times :). Really looking forward to Lynne + ELO doing the "legend" spot at Glastonbury this year incidentally, won't be there but I'll be watching. Not "innovators" for sure but brilliant stuff.

Maybe Bowie/Prince should be compared to Pollock/Warhol/Emin/Hirst; dividing the audience into those who think they're a bit pretentious and those who think they're geniuses. Just a thought.

Can't you be both? Or have I misconstrued what you're saying? Most of my favourite groups had a huge art school influence. The Beatles, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Roxy, Eno, Peter Gabriel, New Wave (very long list), even Punk all dabbled in pretentiousness. That's what made music such fun.

Can't you be both? Or have I misconstrued what you're saying? Most of my favourite groups had a huge art school influence. The Beatles, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Roxy, Eno, Peter Gabriel, New Wave (very long list), even Punk all dabbled in pretentiousness. That's what made music such fun.

No you've not misconstrued; interesting question, can you be genius and pretentious at the same time? Answers on a postcard.

Depends entirely on the listener I guess, one mans meat is another mans poison.

Beauty of all art. Da Vinci v Damien Hurst eg, who's to say definitively? Apples v oranges.

• 2 weeks later...