IGNORED

What Are You Listening To?

Moyski

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

With yesterday's death of Krzysztof Penderecki, I decided to listen again to perhaps his most famous work: Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima. It's not easy to listen to, but it's a masterpiece of modern music. Of course, he wrote much other music, much of it relating to Poland and his Catholic faith, but it's the threnody that most will remember.

Won't even begin to claim I really "understand" it fully (although the sense of horror is obvious) but the level of virtuosity in that orchestra is plain to see; how does anyone actually "write" stuff like this on five lines of musical annotation? Astonishing. Never even heard of Penderecki before but he was evidently a bit special.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Won't even begin to claim I really "understand" it fully (although the sense of horror is obvious) but the level of virtuosity in that orchestra is plain to see; how does anyone actually "write" stuff like this on five lines of musical annotation? Astonishing. Never even heard of Penderecki before but he was evidently a bit special.

It's a rather improvisational work. You'll see that not all members of a section (e.g., violins) are actually playing the exact same thing (watch their bowing, for example). I've seen the score, and it is rather amazing. In fact, you see pages of it on some of the music stands in the video.

Some of his other work is more approachable. If you perform a YouTube search, you'll find several fine examples.

6 minutes ago, Peter H said:

Currently actually listening to a lot of my own music.

Sounds good to me but I suspect I'm not in your target demographic.:unsure:

How do you do it? Is it all computer generated or keyboard, drum machine etc? Best of luck with it anyway (like the beard, proper Viking look; I'll have to grow one myself:D).

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Sounds good to me but I suspect I'm not in your target demographic.:unsure:

How do you do it? Is it all computer generated or keyboard, drum machine etc? Best of luck with it anyway (like the beard, proper Viking look; I'll have to grow one myself:D).

Lol @ proper viking look. I have to play the part of the swede here.

I use both, i use a daw in my mac but I also use a drum machine, hardware synths, hardware sequencers etc. I have a dawless setup for live performances

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

sounds good @Peter H i like the acid track with the 303 doing it's resonance thing :)   most of the stuff sounds like classic 909 4 on the floor trance which is familiar to me.  i used to listen to ATB and Ulrich Schnauss growing up, my older brother is a massive electronic music fan, i like a good amount of it too.

I love my 303 clone. Use a xoxbox and i also run it through some guitar pedals.

ATB were awesome

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Reminds me a bit of Robert Miles, well done!

3rd person to say that today which means it must be true. I really like the reference, Children was a massive track. I guess it reminds ppl of Children as soon as you use a piano in a dance track :). Thx Matt 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Listened to Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd  live in a theatre recording yesterday.... blew my mind.

Here is a stadium version... more crowd noise but a good idea as to how polished they were.

https://youtu.be/fuZyMx2NXZM

Played that to Josh a couple of days ago (though it turns out I'd played it to him before, that happens a lot:unsure:), brilliant stuff.

Never mastered that but the band I was in at school used to jam half hour versions of Sweet Home Alabama (despite the Neil Young dig)!

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Played that to Josh a couple of days ago (though it turns out I'd played it to him before, that happens a lot:unsure:), brilliant stuff.

Never mastered that but the band I was in at school used to jam half hour versions of Sweet Home Alabama (despite the Neil Young dig)!

Good education for Josh!  Absolutely incredible... I'm on an amazon prime HD trial at the moment....  the quality is very good from technical view.... but seriously what a live performance.

3 people died from the band died in the plane crash.... it was in the 70s and the plane was 40 years old!!!  They couldn't travel commercial as they allegedly tried to throw a roady out the plane at 20000 feet!  They knew the plane was crap.... biggest band around at the time and they were in a rust bucket. Were looking at a new lear jet.... too late. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...