IGNORED

What Are You Listening To?

Moyski

58 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Guy is very talented, but it’s a cover song.  Would prefer to hear original works but most of YouTube is just people covering other artists work.  I get it.

Oh he's got his own stuff too. That was just the one that popped up today, thought you'd be interested. 

Just now, Matt said:

Oh he's got his own stuff too. That was just the one that popped up today, thought you'd be interested. 

Personally I’m not a slap guy.  I know that’s what everyone thinks is cool and is popular with bass, but I’m into old school Motown and james brown sounding stuff where it’s about the rhythm and groove and less about flash.  That’s more to my personality of being in the background and not wanting to be in the spotlight though.  Nothing wrong with slapping and tapping, just for me I prefer old finger style like Marvin Gaye what’s going on or something.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Personally I’m not a slap guy.  I know that’s what everyone thinks is cool and is popular with bass, but I’m into old school Motown and james brown sounding stuff where it’s about the rhythm and groove and less about flash.  That’s more to my personality of being in the background and not wanting to be in the spotlight though.  Nothing wrong with slapping and tapping, just for me I prefer old finger style like Marvin Gaye what’s going on or something.

Me and the missus love Motown we met in 1977 I was really into David Bowie Status Quo and getting further into Punk Rock, she was more the Jackson’s the Stylistics Diana Ross, so in the 80s when we lived together I was listening more and more to her stuff and got hooked to a degree, when I’m stressed and wound up I play my Motown compilations and it just chills me down. The missus when driving loves listening to Country music, trust me I don’t really want to get into Country but when I’m in the motor with her I can feel myself getting sucked into it. 

• MikeO unpinned this topic
17 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

If you've never really understood or admired classical music, get a load of this (just four minutes of listening)! It's a high school orchestra from Venezuela (conducted by one of the world's more impressive maestros), and their performance of the second movement of Shostakovich's tenth symphony is flawless.

I always assumed as a kid I'd like classical music when I got older but it's just never happened. That video for example leaves me totally cold, I watched three or four minutes and can appreciate the skills on show but it just doesn't excite me at all. I spent hundreds (possibly thousands) of hours listening to classical stuff during my time as a sound engineer and did find a few things that I enjoyed; Carmina Burana, Dvořák New World, Beethoven Pastoral, Holst's The Planets and Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty off the top of my head, but they were the exceptions rather than the rule. I also have great memories of working on something called Cry by Giles Swayne which was an atonishing piece of work for voice only which threw up so many technical difficulties, I spent endless hours with the producer working on that so it was a very satisfying project to perfect it, though I'd never listen to it for pleasure.

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

I always assumed as a kid I'd like classical music when I got older but it's just never happened. That video for example leaves me totally cold, I watched three or four minutes and can appreciate the skills on show but it just doesn't excite me at all. I spent hundreds (possibly thousands) of hours listening to classical stuff during my time as a sound engineer and did find a few things that I enjoyed; Carmina Burana, Dvořák New World, Beethoven Pastoral, Holst's The Planets and Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty off the top of my head, but they were the exceptions rather than the rule. I also have great memories of working on something called Cry by Giles Swayne which was an atonishing piece of work for voice only which threw up so many technical difficulties, I spent endless hours with the producer working on that so it was a very satisfying project to perfect it, though I'd never listen to it for pleasure.

The second one is a lot better. First one is would be good if you could see Tom chasing Jerry to compliment it. Otherwise it's a bit too full on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...