IGNORED

Yobo

Yobo on his day is better than Jags. Mistakes wise Jags is more prone, jus Yobo's tend to be more memorable. If you evaluate the centre halfs we have as pairs, Yobo and whoever is better than Jags and whoever.

Do you ever watch any Everton games?????

There is a very good reason that Jags is getting touted around as a £20M player and at the same time nobody is interested in taking Yobo at £5M

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

There appears to be some winding up going on here, Yobo less prone to a f up than Jags ha, Yobo to play right wing haha Yobo only worth 2 million hahahahaha! Thats about the only thing that does make sense, we all know if you goto Turkey you haggle for everything how much for your camel 2 grand well i offer you a quid! It seems weve been had right off!!

Strangely a fellow bluie and good friend pointed out it was more than likely worth double that but Kenwright wont say that so we all go mad when he uses the money to pay towards the other payments noone has any idea about!! Im not a conspiracey theorist but it may well be true from 6 to 2 million is some serious haggling

Round: Who we gonna play wide right vs QPR now that Seamus is out then David?

Moyes: Tell what we could do, play Yobo on the wing, he's quick, strong, good with the ball and can go forward, what you think?

Round: Brilliant, probably pop up with 10 goals and 15 assists this season!

Howard

Neville Jagielka Distin Baines

YOBO Fellaini Rodwell Barkley

Cahill

Saha

The option about playing Yobo on the right wing is one of the best ive heard so far. Just because he has pace doesnt mean he is the answer to our wide problem. Tell you what Anichebe's a strong lad, why don't we play him centre half and Beckford as a sweeper? With his pace, surely you'd have the perfect partnership of strength and pace there? As Romey said, i think your on smack!

Round: Who we gonna play wide right vs QPR now that Seamus is out then David?

Moyes: Tell what we could do, play Yobo on the wing, he's quick, strong, good with the ball and can go forward, what you think?

Round: Brilliant, probably pop up with 10 goals and 15 assists this season!

Howard

Neville Jagielka Distin Baines

YOBO Fellaini Rodwell Barkley

Cahill

Saha

The option about playing Yobo on the right wing is one of the best ive heard so far. Just because he has pace doesnt mean he is the answer to our wide problem. Tell you what Anichebe's a strong lad, why don't we play him centre half and Beckford as a sweeper? With his pace, surely you'd have the perfect partnership of strength and pace there? As Romey said, i think your on smack!

Geth, I can be abusive too if it's better thought of, ok mate?

We can leave Yobo on the bench getting paid every week, or we can use him. Unless we try something with a player, we will never know. Nearly all our players are asked to perform where they are needed at any moment in time. That is what makes our squad versatile. If you aren't versatile, you probably won't get signed for Everton.

Yobo is very good going forward with the ball. He also has pace to die for. We can cry that we have no wingers, and keep paying players not to play, or we can throw one on the wing and say "give it a go".

It will probably never happen, but my point about utilising rather than wasting remains more economical for a club with no money.wink.png

There was a realistic chance of Neville playing RM today if the game had gone a head, and Yobo playing there would have been a possibility in most managers heads to help deal with the pace of spurs wingers considering the other options are Neville or Rodwell.

Can I also just put a realistic slant on "pace" - centre halves have pace that is momentum based = recovery/ straight line. wingers have stop start pace making them effective at change of directIon and pace over ten yards.

Yobo is not a f'n winger!!! He is just about a centre half.

You are taking the piss, right????

Nope.

Lescott put Jags on the map with his transfer to City. Selling Lescott was the worst decision of Moyes' career.

Instead of having the best English defender in some time, we ended up with a timid Russian, a discontent Dutchman, and an ageing Distin, even if Distin had one bad season followed by one very good one.

We could have kept the money, and got Distin a lot cheaper had clubs not realised we had money to spend. Losing Lescott was enormous, regardless of how some fans like to comfort themselves by hailing Jags as the better of the two defenders.

As a partnership, they were great, and probably the best we've had in a while, but as individuals it's not the same.

I miss Lescott. He was a big personallity, and our team buzzed with him in it.

Edited by Avinalaff

distin hasnt had a bad season hes been superb hes maybe had the odd poor game,hes every bit as good as lescott and wants to play for us ,not like lescott.

It's all opinion Patto.

What I will say though is that any opinion I share, or have on a subject, is generally neutral, as opposed to 'biased'. In other words, I don't judge a guy any different on whether he plays for us or not.

I don't have a problem with players who leave, as for every player who joins a club, there are fans saying hello and fans saying goodbye. It's the way it is. While he was an Everton player though, Lescott played his ass off in my opinion, and is sorely missed.

I chuckle at how some fans call a player crap because he no longer plays for us, or call a player 'better' because he has replaced a former player.

Distin had a good season last year, but for me, he isn't the influence on the side that Lescott was, and to argue otherwise is simply stating your own opinion. You only have to look at our stats to see how many goals we've leaked since he left, and Lescott knew where the net was too.

Selling Lescott was the worst decision of Moyes' career.

It was hardly Moyes' choice tbf, Lescott wanted to go and Moyes didn't want to sell him but realised (eventually) that there was no point holding on to a player that didn't want to be here so we rinsed City good and proper on the fee.

I agree that Jags and Lescott were a cracking partnership but don't seem as good as individuals without each other. I also agree that Distin is nowhere near as good as Lescott was for us, the Distin/Jags partnership simply does not look right and doesn't work, they look extremely uncomfortable together and that's why we've struggled to keep cleansheets when previously it was second nature.

I would say that defence is about understandings and those two did have a great one. Collectively they were a £50m partnership, indvidually £15m players if you get my meaning. (a bit like antiques roadshow)

For me to be truly comfortable with our squad and defenders I need to be able to appraise the likes of duffy, mustafi and dier (are we keeping him, it's a strange deal that one) - so far moyes has played hibbert at centre half instead of blooding duffy or mustafi, which says to me that we have no strenght in depth as yet.

So in short:

Yobo, has to go, clearly wants away, big wages, get £2-3m for him.

Jags - £20m you cant say no, has 4 years at the top left, leave it for 2 years and his value will be less than half what we could get now. Basically it would cost us £5m+ a year in depreciation IMO.

Distin, run him into the ground, hardly misses a game, still quick and strong enough, 2 more years maybe from him - in which time will dier, duffy and mustafi be ready?

Heitinga - keep him, if he can keep himself out of mischief. Be interesting to see how he partners Distin over a longer period of time, his sale value is probably £8-£10m, would cost more than that to replace him.

in summary, sell jags £20m, if rodders or the young lads cant cover yet then maybe take a punt at someone in the £5m range (maybe scott dann) - leaves us with some money to buy maybe Lewis Holtby and throw towards a striker

I would say that defence is about understandings and those two did have a great one. Collectively they were a £50m partnership, indvidually £15m players if you get my meaning. (a bit like antiques roadshow)

For me to be truly comfortable with our squad and defenders I need to be able to appraise the likes of duffy, mustafi and dier (are we keeping him, it's a strange deal that one) - so far moyes has played hibbert at centre half instead of blooding duffy or mustafi, which says to me that we have no strenght in depth as yet.

So in short:

Jags - £20m you cant say no, has 4 years at the top left, leave it for 2 years and his value will be less than half what we could get now. Basically it would cost us £5m+ a year in depreciation IMO.

Distin, run him into the ground, hardly misses a game, still quick and strong enough, 2 more years maybe from him - in which time will dier, duffy and mustafi be ready?

Heitinga - keep him, if he can keep himself out of mischief. Be interesting to see how he partners Distin over a longer period of time, his sale value is probably £8-£10m, would cost more than that to replace him.

in summary, sell jags £20m, if rodders or the young lads cant cover yet then maybe take a punt at someone in the £5m range (maybe scott dann) - leaves us with some money to buy maybe Lewis Holtby and throw towards a striker

completely agree with this

So in short:

I also agree, Hopefully 20 mill, more likely around 18 though. However, I read in swedish newspapers this morning that Arsenal are preparing a new bid for Gary Cahill. Why would they want both Cahill and Jags? Makes no sense to me.

I also agree, Hopefully 20 mill, more likely around 18 though. However, I read in swedish newspapers this morning that Arsenal are preparing a new bid for Gary Cahill. Why would they want both Cahill and Jags? Makes no sense to me.

isnt Vermaahlen out again? and Eboue going by the looks of things

Edited by Matt

Nope.

Lescott put Jags on the map with his transfer to City. Selling Lescott was the worst decision of Moyes' career.

Instead of having the best English defender in some time, we ended up with a timid Russian, a discontent Dutchman, and an ageing Distin, even if Distin had one bad season followed by one very good one.

We could have kept the money, and got Distin a lot cheaper had clubs not realised we had money to spend. Losing Lescott was enormous, regardless of how some fans like to comfort themselves by hailing Jags as the better of the two defenders.

As a partnership, they were great, and probably the best we've had in a while, but as individuals it's not the same.

I miss Lescott. He was a big personallity, and our team buzzed with him in it.

How did Lescott leaving put Jags on the map?? I would say his superb performances for England when Terry and Ferdinand were injured or his consistently excellent form for Everton would be more likely reasons for that

To say selling Lescott was the worse decision of Moyes' career is absolutely ludicrous, what was he supposed to do once the player made it clear he wanted to go?

I agree that Lescott was better than Distin and as a partnership they were superb, but I think Jags is by far the better player and its got absolutely nothing to do with the fact he no longer plays for us. I have said in here plenty of times I dont blame Lescott for wanting to better himself and I have never and will never jeer him

This has got to be one of the randomest threads going on TT at the moment... This definitely gets my vote for thread of the season already! lol

Moyes plays lots of players in lots of positions. Yobo is great going forward, and is a skilful footballer. He is also possibly the fastest player in our team, and one of the quickest defenders in the game. Sometimes you have to think outside the box.

At first I thought you were joking, but having read through it all I can see you are being serious. I have never seen Yobo be 'great going forward' or a particularly 'skillful footballer'. I remember we played him a couple of times as a defensive midfielder when Gravesen left and he looked all over the shop then so God knows how he would cope playing RW!

An inform Yobo is 5 seconds away from a calamitous mistake, an inform Jags is unbeatable so I would have to disagree

Couldnt agree with that more. The way Jags kept the most inform Prem striker in Torres at bay several times in that FA Cup final season was so impressive. Torres had the beating of pretty much every other strikier in World football at that stage, and he barely got a sniff from Jags.

Pete, the whole thing about yobo is that he should be one of the best centre halves in the league. Athleticism wise I would put him ahead of a peak rio Ferdinand.

I don't think I've ever seen a player get so much stick from his fellow defenders and keeper than joey, his decisions and concentration have been his downfall, it is a real pity. He is in the same bracket as Titus bramble, on his day a world beater, another day he couldn't beat an egg. Too risky. Centre forwards like Owen love playing on his shoulder.

I dont think Yobo is as bad as Bramble. although I understand where your coming from.

Yobo is very good going forward with the ball. He also has pace to die for. We can cry that we have no wingers, and keep paying players not to play, or we can throw one on the wing and say "give it a go".

It will probably never happen, but my point about utilising rather than wasting remains more economical for a club with no money.wink.png

I get teh whole econimcal point but this is Yobo! He might be quick, but he hasnt got great techinique whether it be ball control or in his passing. He is decent for a defender, but its a different kettle of fish moving into the midfield. Heitinga has 10 times the technique of Yobo but he still looks limited in midfield.

Your point would have been mildly more valid if you had said, play Yobo at CB, move Distin to Lb and Baines to LM, or play Hibbo RM as he is quick, but id disagree with you even then wink.png

I agree that Jags and Lescott were a cracking partnership but don't seem as good as individuals without each other. I also agree that Distin is nowhere near as good as Lescott was for us, the Distin/Jags partnership simply does not look right and doesn't work, they look extremely uncomfortable together and that's why we've struggled to keep cleansheets when previously it was second nature.

Agreed.

So in short:

I wouldnt necessarily disagree with this. I still dont want to get rid of Jagielka, especially not without seeing the other CB's in question playing together regularly.

How did Lescott leaving put Jags on the map?? I would say his superb performances for England when Terry and Ferdinand were injured or his consistently excellent form for Everton would be more likely reasons for that

To say selling Lescott was the worse decision of Moyes' career is absolutely ludicrous, what was he supposed to do once the player made it clear he wanted to go?

I agree that Lescott was better than Distin and as a partnership they were superb, but I think Jags is by far the better player and its got absolutely nothing to do with the fact he no longer plays for us. I have said in here plenty of times I dont blame Lescott for wanting to better himself and I have never and will never jeer him

Superb performances for England? huh.png David Villa chewed him up and spat him out.

He had a great season for Everton, and won player of the year, even though Fellaini won more motm awards on this very forum ..... but ..... you get judged on current performances, and he has failed to reach the same form since his injury. Call it bad luck, but it's true all the same that he hasn't been at his best.

I like Jags, but if Arsenal offer 20 million we have to take it.

I just hope it gets dealt with better than the Lescott transfer did.

As for Moyes' decision, there is a lot of bad blood regarding the Lescott saga, that will only end in arguments if we keep discussing it, so probably best we leave it in the past now and move on.