IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

He looked happy as a pig in shit when he was presented. That'll do for me.

You gotta say, these players really don't know they are born. He had effectively signed a piece of paper which earned him £3m up front and somewhere in the region of £17m in wages by the time he is 26 years old.

I do think he loves the set up here too, and is popular amongst his team mates.

The Argentina league is far superior, absolutely no question. The defenders are so much stronger and physical. There is no comparison.

Either way, not arsed with carrying this on. If the stats that were posted on that rosta were relevant and critical in assessing a players ability then Alan Shearer should have been crap.

Rom is ours now, people can't take the piss out of us, we have stumped up a large wad of cash, let's enjoy watching him justify it.

You don't know a thing about the JPL do you :P

The JPL has brought forth much more impressive defenders than the Argentinean primera division. Eliaquim Mangala, Vincent Kompany, Dante, Daniel Van Buyten, Lombaerts to name a few that are currently active, all came from the JPL. Some interesting prodigies: Cheikhou Kouyaté, just transferred to West Ham from Anderlecht, very promising. Costa Rica's best defender during the World Cup: Duarte? Plays at Club Brugge. And then I'm leaving out Vertonghen, Vermaelen and Alderweireld, cause they didn't see first team action in Belgium before going to the Netherlands.

Look, I didn't want to do another "my daddy is stronger than your daddy" competition and I can appreciate that you prefer the argentina competition. But when you say nonsense like "the Argentina league is far superior", then that's just the same old filth surfacing again and doesn't belong on a forum where we respect one another.

Edited by Mirallas

Strangely Mark, although Matt and Haf are in the top three posters in here (with 292 & 203 posts respectively) you are second with 239. I think you've been stirring it :P.

You got statistics? Where am I?

My mistake :P.

The two have now been merged to form a monster seventy seven page thread! He's certainly been a talking point hasn't he :).

Indeed, from 9 pages yesterday morning to 77 now. We're a heck of a forum.

Edited by Mirallas

You got statistics? Where am I?

Indeed, from 9 pages yesterday morning to 77 now. We're a heck of a forum.

5th. With 148 posts. You can check them for yourself by clicking on the number of replies in the post in the General Everton Section.

Haf's being a proper fan...air all your views on a player, but once he's in give him your full backing.

Also Haf, you touched on something for me. The signing of kanchelskis! That was one of my favourite moments as a fan do far. He scored 17 goals didn't he?! Then got sold again...One of my worst moments!!! But that was the Everton way under Johnson hey?

Anyway, looking forward to this season. Do we have that 20 goal a season striker that we have gagged for since Kanchelskis (a 'winger', but ya ' know!)?

Kanchelskis was absolutely amazing, forget his goal return, he was a winger with dynamite in his boots. His goals as a winger at that time would be like lukaku getting 30 next season.

Next season I predict RVP as top goal scorer with 25+, after that the likes of sturridge, aguero, etc. Rom shouldn't be too far away as sole striker.

Kanchelskis was absolutely amazing, forget his goal return, he was a winger with dynamite in his boots. His goals as a winger at that time would be like lukaku getting 30 next season.

Next season I predict RVP as top goal scorer with 25+, after that the likes of sturridge, aguero, etc. Rom shouldn't be too far away as sole striker.

Aguero!

Mourinho cares only about Chelsea and the results he achieves. Why on earth does he have both Cech and Courtois? That isn't good for either of them, it just gives Mourinho the luxury to try and get that little bit of edge over his opponents. What on earth would Mourinho need Drogba, Torres, Costa AND Lukaku for? Not cause it's good foor the players' development, only because it's good for Jose and Chelsea.

Does anybody else think it is stupid that Lukaku and Mirallas might not play at the start of the season because of "lack of match fitness". These players are professionals and get paid 75,000k a week! It has been a month since the end of the WC and Belgium got to the QF! Chile got to the last 16 and Sanchez is playing for Arsenal. What is one more game!? If Lukaku and Mirallas don't play against Leicester I will be disappointed. This is a game where Lukaku can make trouble for the defense with his strength and quick movement!

Martinez has his own views around detraining.

Between 2 and 4 weeks off means that the body declines in fitness and muscle but it also allows the body to bounce back stronger than it was before the break. Its important that they retrain before playing.

10 months of a long season ahead, its important that they are 100% right.

Does anybody else think it is stupid that Lukaku and Mirallas might not play at the start of the season because of "lack of match fitness". These players are professionals and get paid 75,000k a week! It has been a month since the end of the WC and Belgium got to the QF! Chile got to the last 16 and Sanchez is playing for Arsenal. What is one more game!? If Lukaku and Mirallas don't play against Leicester I will be disappointed. This is a game where Lukaku can make trouble for the defense with his strength and quick movement!

I see what you're saying, but as Haf says, Roberto has a different view, and as a physio I think we can only trust him.

I get the fact that they need rest etc but the point is, how can other players who went the world cup be fit and playing. If they can then so can our players. I don't really buy into this "they could be jaded later in the season" thinking. Using Sanchez for an example, Arsenal paid a lot of money for him and they aren't stupid enough to let the player play if it wasn't in their best interest.

ALL of our players (barring those injured) should be fit and chomping at the bit to get on the pitch Saturday.

No fucking excuses. Plain and simple as that.

I get the fact that they need rest etc but the point is, how can other players who went the world cup be fit and playing. If they can then so can our players. I don't really buy into this "they could be jaded later in the season" thinking. Using Sanchez for an example, Arsenal paid a lot of money for him and they aren't stupid enough to let the player play if it wasn't in their best interest.

ALL of our players (barring those injured) should be fit and chomping at the bit to get on the pitch Saturday.

No fucking excuses. Plain and simple as that.

"When you have players coming back from the World Cup you have to decide if you want the players straight away or do you give them a bit of time to refresh and be ready to play for 10 months?” said Martinez.

“It will only be Kevin Mirallas and Rom who might not start the season. For Romelu, it will depend on how he adapts to work from now until August 16.

“There is a degree of risk if you put them into a situation so early. They’ve been training really well and are accumulating a lot of work.

“Playing in a game would have stopped them being able to get in a lot of that extra work and we didn’t want to do that.

“They’re not going to be a part [of the team] but they will get three sessions in while we’re out here.

“That will accelerate the process of them being ready as quickly as possible.”

I think it is how Martinez wants to prepare them. Don't get me wrong I want them playing but I want them right. The Moyes era of seeing overtrained, leggy players in August has taught me that.