IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

again Frank Bruno had the potential to be an amazing boxer given his size and strength, but technically he was pants. That never stopped people saying "he's potentially unbeatable".

But he scores goals Haf and that's what he was bought to do. He's a 20 goal a season striker and we haven't had one of those for a long time and not only is he a 20 goal a seSon striker he's 21 years of age and will definitely get better. Even ss you get older you get wiser and stronger so he has that to come yet even if his touch doesn't improve a lot.

I look at him and for the first time in I don't know how lonng I think thank fuck we've got a striker that guaranties goals!!

But he scores goals Haf and that's what he was bought to do. He's a 20 goal a season striker and we haven't had one of those for a long time and not only is he a 20 goal a seSon striker he's 21 years of age and will definitely get better. Even ss you get older you get wiser and stronger so he has that to come yet even if his touch doesn't improve a lot.

I look at him and for the first time in I don't know how lonng I think thank fuck we've got a striker that guaranties goals!!

Thats the problem - does he guarantee goals??? He has scored goals, and is likely to score goals, is he a consistent steady goalscorer? No. When he isn't scoring his perceived contribution isn't at the level of the likes of Naismith for example.

Over to you Romelu

Thats the problem - does he guarantee goals??? He has scored goals, and is likely to score goals, is he a consistent steady goalscorer? No. When he isn't scoring his perceived contribution isn't at the level of the likes of Naismith for example.

Over to you Romelu

He scored 17 for West Brom season before last and 16 (I think it was) for us last season . For West Brom he came off the bench a lot for us he had a couple of months out injured. At 19 and 20 I'd say he had done pretty well to do hat at premiership level.

Like you say, it's down to him to prove/ disprove it.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm being overly positive about him due to knowing he's carrying an injury because I honestly don't think he's played all that badly in the three games this season :huh: . Certainly not bad enough to warrant all the worry!

I think he has done pretty well on the whole too. He was up and down against Chelsea but that was a Jeckyl and Hyde game for most players.

Do I think he is worth £28mil? Not a chance but do I think he is a very good striker who will prove to be a big player for the club in years to come, definitely.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm being overly positive about him due to knowing he's carrying an injury because I honestly don't think he's played all that badly in the three games this season :huh: . Certainly not bad enough to warrant all the worry!

Exactly! Sanity restored.

He's 21 FFS! I know he cost a lot of money but people seem to be trying to find mistakes him rather than picking up on them.

I think he's done alright so far. Especially considering he is carrying an injury to quite an important part of a footballers body!

He's been unlucky not to score, it's not through lack of effort.

His touch for me has been 50/50...at times fine, at times a bit dodgy.

He needs to maintain composure when he has the opportunity to lead an attack or set up a quick attack. He seems to try to rush it a bit and lose composure and therefore the ball.

His price tag seems to weigh on people's mind. Maybe his too. He's definitely in the spot light. But 28 mill ain't the 'there and now price', just like Rooney ' s 26mill wasn't. And Rooney ' s was 10 years ago!!

At the end of the day, every footballer has his flaws. It's a bit pointless forever looking for his flaws unless you are going to do it fairly for every player out there.

You could say 'I would have preferred whoever...' but they'll have flaws too.

So far, in his short career, he has proven himself to be a near top end goal scorer in the most difficult league in the world. So long as he continues to do so, I'll happily let him have his flaws.

The MOTM votes aren't representative for a player's overall performance, but despite not having scored a goal yet this season, Lukaku's impact on our attacks has been big. He's active going forward, sets up goals for others, helps break through defenses, he no longer waits for someone to pass the ball straight into his feet. He contributes and creates chances, like he's doing some of the work of a numer 10 on the number 11 position. He's become a top class footballer. I love what I'm seeing. :)

Ive been very satisfied with his contribution! Showing some real passion to play through injury and still been looking pretty decent aswell. Also taking into consideration he didnt get much of a pre season after the world cup!

I think that Rom Eto'o and king Naisy could easily rack up 50+ goals between them this year if they all stay fit

Lukaku has been unlucky not to score but I don't think it's through effort.

What I mean by this is its not like he is running his socks off and deserves a break and this is why sone people are critical off him... And he deserves the criticism.

He has the ability and he will score goals. He will also improve a great deal.

But the constant the excuses are unwarranted guys.

When Naismith was running his heart out but getting nowhere, the criticism was undeserved, lukaku is strolling around and still getting chances.

I'm a big believer in hard work and must want to see lukaku make more of am effort.

His injury may be preventing hin it may not. I remember Jags having injections on histone and playing like a warrior... This is not the same.

Some of the excuses are a bit odd. We've paid £28m for him.... It's like splashing out £100k on a land rover to findits gear box is clunky, sometimes doesn't start but you tell yourself everything is great cos the audio system is shit hot.

It's not like he's an 18 year old who has just been given his debut, or a £6m transfer signing from Wigan. As shukes said he's been generally pretty poor, his movement is non existent, his control has led to us conceding a goal similar to the on against wba last year. He had a strike on goal and put it 20 yards over the bar from a pull back. This is a £28m striker. It's really just not good enough.

His highlight in 3 games is a through ball to nais. That's about it really.

Lads, I promise I will give him credit when and where it's due, I will be as balanced as is fair to be. But I'm not going to accept the odd controlled ball and lay off as a sign that all is well. I'm genuinely concerned that we have bought a player who is not going to improve by much.

Some of the excuses are a bit odd. We've paid £28m for him.... It's like splashing out £100k on a land rover to findits gear box is clunky, sometimes doesn't start but you tell yourself everything is great cos the audio system is shit hot.

It's not like he's an 18 year old who has just been given his debut, or a £6m transfer signing from Wigan. As shukes said he's been generally pretty poor, his movement is non existent, his control has led to us conceding a goal similar to the on against wba last year. He had a strike on goal and put it 20 yards over the bar from a pull back. This is a £28m striker. It's really just not good enough.

His highlight in 3 games is a through ball to nais. That's about it really.

Lads, I promise I will give him credit when and where it's due, I will be as balanced as is fair to be. But I'm not going to accept the odd controlled ball and lay off as a sign that all is well. I'm genuinely concerned that we have bought a player who is not going to improve by much.

His name alone is worth £20m. Don't you see the perception of the club has changed? Because we splashed "£28m" on "Lukaku"?

Do you think Eto'o and Atsu would have had the same perception of the club if we hadn't have spent the money on "Lukaku". That in itself is invaluable.

His sell on fee will remain decent because of his reputation throughout Europe. Paying £20m for a Bony wouldn't be an investment. That players value would drop the moment we bought him. Lukaku's hasn't!

It's not all about on the pitch but believe me he's a £20m striker all day long. 1:2 ratio, 20 years of age. No more needs to be said.

And he has improved his touch and back to goal this season!

His name alone is worth £20m. Don't you see the perception of the club has changed? Because we splashed "£28m" on "Lukaku"?

Do you think Eto'o and Atsu would have had the same perception of the club if we hadn't have spent the money on "Lukaku". That in itself is invaluable.

His sell on fee will remain decent because of his reputation throughout Europe. Paying £20m for a Bony wouldn't be an investment. That players value would drop the moment we bought him. Lukaku's hasn't!

It's not all about on the pitch but believe me he's a £20m striker all day long. 1:2 ratio, 20 years of age. No more needs to be said.

And he has improved his touch and back to goal this season!

I don't think he has. We are looking for signs that he has - but it is not fluent, the ball with his back to goal has been like a hot potatoe, he's just not comfortable playing that way.

If we played like Everton of 1986 with Lineker up front then he would be happier, but we don't.

I don't think he has. We are looking for signs that he has - but it is not fluent, the ball with his back to goal has been like a hot potatoe, he's just not comfortable playing that way.

If we played like Everton of 1986 with Lineker up front then he would be happier, but we don't.

Believe me Haf, I totally understand your argument. For £28m we could have got an all round better footballer. But right now persuading a player of his notoriety to join our club has changed the perception of "poor old Everton".

His first touch is poor, he can be lazy/struggle to get into games etc. But he needs the players around him to give him opportunities to do what he does best... Put the ball in the back of the net!

But he's scoring goals Haf and that's what he's there to do.

But in reality he isn't though... we have scored 7 goals in 3 games and he hasn't really come close to getting one.

He has scored 6 goals since 01 Jan 2014 - that is 6 in 20 games (accounting for his injury in the derby).

Naismith has scored 7 in 2014 YTD and has played far less game time.

As I have said, even if he was knocking them in I would still have reservations over his ability to retain the ball. Jelavic was very good at this... the young lad just isn't.

But in reality he isn't though... we have scored 7 goals in 3 games and he hasn't really come close to getting one.

He has scored 6 goals since 01 Jan 2014 - that is 6 in 20 games (accounting for his injury in the derby).

As I have said, even if he was knocking them in I would still have reservations over his ability to retain the ball. Jelavic was very good at this... the young lad just isn't.

It isn't just about scoring though, for a 28mil player you expect him to score at least but 10+ goals a season. It is only 3 games in and two of those were against Arsenal and Chelsea. Leicester he didn't look match fit.

What he has contributed to the team though I have been pleased with. He isn't afraid to take on defenders, he has strength and speed. He bullied the Arsenal defence at times.

The downside is his passing though, he isn't a good passer off the ball at all but he is young and has years to get used to it. I am happy he is at Everton and lets hope cheer him on against WBA.

Also at one point a lot of people wanted to get rid of Naismith saying he isn't premier league quality. That was because Moyes was playing him on the right but Martinez plays him behind the striker and tends to get the best out of his players so let's hope he can get the best out of Lukaku as well. :)

Edited by bluenosetoffee

It isn't just about scoring though, for a 28mil player you expect him to score at least but 10+ goals a season. It is only 3 games in and two of those were against Arsenal and Chelsea. Leicester he didn't look match fit.

What he has contributed to the team though I have been pleased with. He isn't afraid to take on defenders, he has strength and speed. He bullied the Arsenal defence at times.

The downside is his passing though, he isn't a good passer off the ball at all but he is young and has years to get used to it. I am happy he is at Everton and lets hope cheer him on against WBA.

Also at one point a lot of people wanted to get rid of Naismith saying he isn't premier league quality. That was because Moyes was playing him on the right but Martinez plays him behind the striker and tends to get the best out of his players so let's hope he can get the best out of Lukaku as well. :)

Tbh mate for £28m you're expecting at least 15-20 goals. No less.

Are you joking?

True, but while he isn't scoring you want him to contribute in other ways rather than hiding, and that's what he's doing - his all round game has needed improving and it looks as though it is to me.

I think what I've seen is that he is far more conscious of this element of play, in terms of improvement there looks to be some fundamental changes which should have been there already.

He is setting himself better when receiving the ball with a man on his back - he isn't standing tall to the ball and having his centre of gravity pushed over his knees (leaving him off balance and losing his strength).

This is why the likes of Mark Hughes, Kenny Dalglish, Luis Suarez, Shearer were great at holding up the ball despite being smaller than centre halves - its got nothing to do with arms, upper body and height. You have to bring the legs into it - basically squat down like you are sat on a chair, use the core to stop you body being moved over the legs - basically you can't be moved provided the legs can hold the force. Its all about the legs and core.

Rom previously was standing up tall and trying to use his arms to hold a player off... ain't gonna work against a big centre half.

For me the key part is that he needs to trust his strength and focus on his control and pass. That part for me is the critical bit he is missing.

I think what I've seen is that he is far more conscious of this element of play, in terms of improvement there looks to be some fundamental changes which should have been there already.

He is setting himself better when receiving the ball with a man on his back - he isn't standing tall to the ball and having his centre of gravity pushed over his knees (leaving him off balance and losing his strength).

This is why the likes of Mark Hughes, Kenny Dalglish, Luis Suarez, Shearer were great at holding up the ball despite being smaller than centre halves - its got nothing to do with arms, upper body and height. You have to bring the legs into it - basically squat down like you are sat on a chair, use the core to stop you body being moved over the legs - basically you can't be moved provided the legs can hold the force. Its all about the legs and core.

Rom previously was standing up tall and trying to use his arms to hold a player off... ain't gonna work against a big centre half.

For me the key part is that he needs to trust his strength and focus on his control and pass. That part for me is the critical bit he is missing.

What you mean is play like you've got an arse like Nicky Minaj? :P

What you mean is play like you've got an arse like Nicky Minaj? :P

haha!!! well speaking from experience thats exactly it. I've played the target striker role despite being 5ft 10, got a big backside and large thighs so yeah thats why I know how it works.

Remember what you did as a kid when someone tried to pick you up - you would drop your height and the person would struggle to lift you, you basically use gravity to make your feet more rooted.

I meant in seasons gone to be honest he's delivered the goods both seasons he's been asked.

So far this season he hasn't hit the ground running but he had no pre season at all and he's having injections while he plays for an injured toe. That being said his turn and run in the Arsenal game was phenomenal, it wasn't a foul either he just rolled the player and was away. He did almost fluff it but he got it together and rolled Naismith in. It's also his runs around the area that are creating space for Naismith because players are following him as they're terrified to lose him. Sometimes he's taking 2 or 3 players with him.

I dont even think we'll see the best of him this season. It'll be next or even the one after that where he'll truly blossom . But even at three quarters developed he'll guarantee us close to 20 a season.