IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

No I think the post you made above was more accurate, no more different to what i've been saying all along really. So i'm not entirely sure how my structured critique of him falls into the "bad supporter" category.

The thing is Brett - like I did with Naismith, I will be behind him 100% and if he gives his all he will get the backing and best wishes of the fans.

Lets hope that Lukaku proves me wrong just like Naismith proved you wrong... yep many of us will remember your continued barbs at him at the time he was turning things around.

I don't think i've not got behind an Everton player, not rating them is different to not supporting.

The difference is, lukaku has proved himself then off the boil. Naismith was complete shite and did t warrant wearing a shirt for a professional footbal team. THEN it just switched for him and now, although I still have my reservations of the player has begun to winpeople over with his recent displays.

We're three games into the season for goodness sake. Give the man some time to get going.

I get what you are saying, but his 1st touch must improve. Occasional mistakes are one thing, but at the moment his 1st touch is not that of a professional footballer. Scoring goals will alleviate some pressure sure, but as it stands he has a glaring weakness in his game. This is not a new thing. I went back and watched all of his goals from WBA to Everton, and in that time he scored one goal with his back to a defender. Truthfully I like Rom a lot. Big, strong, physically imposing, solid positional awareness, good eye for goal, but if he is to be a world beater his 1st touch must improve substantially. Either way he will score goals, but does he want to be a good player, or a world class player?

I really don't understand the theory that I'm over critical. I called half this stuff out whilst everyone was waxing lyrical about him. I see what I see. Unfortunately it is becoming more evident to others.

It's the football market not the housing market. If you spend £28m on a player and he doesn't perform he drops down in price. Look at fellaini, will United get their money back? Will spurs get the soldado money back?

I want him to do well but ffs people are looking for positives that just ain't there at the moment. If they are evident I promise I will be amongst the first to highlight them.

You are picking up on things that aren't even his fault (or at least the fault you are trying to call him for) such as the Leicester game and you also tried it when he played for Belgium in the WC.

We know he has faults, but he also has a lot of positives that you fail to recognise. I have never known anyone slag off a player that has been so important to the team in the last 12 months.

This is getting on my tits. I apologise in advance, since the site was banned at work I've no escape so I'm a little more frustrated than normal

I honestly cannot believe the amount of doub. I have provided actual evidence to dis spell some of the things being said, but that doesn't seem to be taken on board. I've actually been through highlights for the last year as well as match reports to verify the stats and explain when and where they have happened. I did this because I thought I was being blinded by my faith in him. Turns out, I partly am, but 80% of what I've said is just fact. If the doubters (its mainly Haf, but there are others) want to invest close to 6 hours to do this and come to a different conclusion, and can show/prove their statements, then please summarize your findings. I'll summarize mine (again)

1. Overpriced? Maybe. Investment with potential massive return? Very possible. But 1 serious injury and it goes tits up.

Despite proving himself for 2 years in the EPL (1 season as a supersub, one as starter) and has proven he can score goals. Like every goalscorer, its come in waves. Suarez had an 1 in 8 game scoring spree, it happens. There was a point saying Rom scores more in one game to "pollute" the stats? So he has had a run of games where he hasnt scored. Fact is, last season, through goals or assists, he contributed to at least a goal 1 every 2 games. So, considering there is a 1 in 2 contribution, what price is fair? 28m is a fucking steal. United have just taken a 24m 1 year loan for a player with slightly better stats (in less competitive leagues). Even the best have peaks and droughts. Its called form.

2. Bad touch? Sure, its not great. Sometimes it is awful. He has some really bad moments, but on the flipside he has some brilliant moments. Guess what, Suarez and Messi miscontrol from time to time. The lad is human.

I get the worry about the money being a gamble, pretty sure I have been consistent in saying 23m was the limit (17 + add ons I think I wanted) but that was never realistic. Part of the concern is that 28m is a massive amount for our club. Well, could that not be considered as a small club mentality? I know it is a lot of money, Im not stupid, I know the worries are self-preservation driven. But complaining about not buying marquee signings and splashing the cash, "showing ambition", and then actually doing just that gets greeted with "shouldnt have spent that money on 1 player", that player who provides us with goals?! Jesus H Fuck! Alternatives touted, Remy and Bony have so far done nothing, can't even claim an assist.

As for this season, I will say this... He's been disappointing. However thats got nothing to do with his price tag. Its because he's injured. Plus, he is probably not feeling 100% mentally considering the criticism over his WC performances (average in my opinion). The lad will come good.

Haf, just as you were blindly adamant about McCarthy and Martinez last season, I have the same faith in Lukaku. Not just because of all the proof to back it up, but because of how he plays. He is not perfect, but players who are perfect at his, or any age, will cost another 10m+ at least.

Edited by Matt

why is everyone getting hung up on this age thing??? was fowler a much better player at 26-27 than he was at 21-22? same for Owen, same for Shearer, same for Brazilian Ronaldo? The same for Rooney.... The list goes on and on.

The reality is that he has stopped growing, he is physically matured and did so at an earlier age than the aforementioned barring Rooney perhaps.

So lets get to it - what is he going to improve on so much that is going to turn him into a complete striker? At this moment I see him as a horses for courses type of player - the same as Fellaini, certain games and opponents make him look awesome, then other games and opponents make you wonder what all the fuss is about.

I just get the feeling that many on here are as concerned as I am by what they see - but are crossing their fingers and toes that time can improve him. I don't actually think that time will do that. If he was 17/18 and had a few years of growing and filling out then I would be more optimistic.

I'm convinced by the argument. If all skills aren't in place by age 21, they never will be. So let's save a fortune and simply disband the u-21s. Waste of money. They won't grow any more and they've had all the time needed to be as good as they can be.

I'm convinced by the argument. If all skills aren't in place by age 21, they never will be. So let's save a fortune and simply disband the u-21s. Waste of money. They won't grow any more and they've had all the time needed to be as good as they can be.

If technical skils was the only thing to be developed at under 21 level then I'd agree entirely. However much of the under 21 work is tactical, mental and these are the things that made Henry a speedy skilful winger into a top class player. He already had the technical ability, if he didn't he was never going to.

In fact if at 17 a player had a shite touch then I'd be inclined to get rid. Tell me a footballer who has been brilliant without excellent ball control...

If technical skils was the only thing to be developed at under 21 level then I'd agree entirely. However much of the under 21 work is tactical, mental and these are the things that made Henry a speedy skilful winger into a top class player. He already had the technical ability, if he didn't he was never going to.

In fact if at 17 a player had a shite touch then I'd be inclined to get rid. Tell me a footballer who has been brilliant without excellent ball control...

Tony Adams

Tony Adams

Ha ha!!!!! Debut at 18 and captain at 21 for Arsenal. You honestly think as a young lad he never had the technical skills to be a top class centre half? He wasn't elegant in low he appeared but technically he was good.

A centre half who can't control it is a liability. He could control it. Typical English press tried to make fans think that Adams was limited because he would sometimes "get rid". I thought he was a very assured, composed and pretty much one of the best centre halves we've had.

Bobby Moore was the best, why? He was slow, couldn't head the ball. But he read the game and his technical skills were excellent.

Edited by Hafnia

Ha ha!!!!! Debut at 18 and captain at 21 for Arsenal. You honestly think as a young lad he never had the technical skills to be a top class centre half? He wasn't elegant in low he appeared but technically he was good.

A centre half who can't control it is a liability. He could control it. Typical English press tried to make fans think that Adams was limited because he would sometimes "get rid". I thought he was a very assured, composed and pretty much one of the best centre halves we've had.

Bobby Moore was the best, why? He was slow, couldn't head the ball. But he read the game and his technical skills were excellent.

Straws & clutching comes to mind Haf. Ask anyone about being technical and part if this will be control with a ball. The man was a yard dog with two left feet. He was also a legend.

Straws & clutching comes to mind Haf. Ask anyone about being technical and part if this will be control with a ball. The man was a yard dog with two left feet. He was also a legend.

yeah of course he was.... Geroge Grahams instructions meant that was how he looked, under Wenger he played it from the back and showed people what a capable player he was.

Agree with Haf on Adams. Wish England had him now.

Amazing how when you are a young lad the donkey chants etc weren't even opinions, it was what you were told to believe. Was a great defender and player.

I really can't stand the fella when seeing him on TV, I remember reading how he had a big go at Stephen Hughes (the lad we signed) for spraying champagne because some landed on his lip after they won the league where he scored the goal.

Amazing how when you are a young lad the donkey chants etc weren't even opinions, it was what you were told to believe. Was a great defender and player.

I really can't stand the fella when seeing him on TV, I remember reading how he had a big go at Stephen Hughes (the lad we signed) for spraying champagne because some landed on his lip after they won the league where he scored the goal.

Temptation that's why!

Bet ya he was seen sucking his shirt when his back was turned.

I'm sure he didn't! It takes a lot of courage to overcome addiction. He's a high-profile personality at this point who chairs at least one charity associated with addiction and who does a lot to help and promote others. With the obsession Britain has with drinking, all credit to the man for being absolute in his current avoidance.

I'm sure he didn't! It takes a lot of courage to overcome addiction. He's a high-profile personality at this point who chairs at least one charity associated with addiction and who does a lot to help and promote others. With the obsession Britain has with drinking, all credit to the man for being absolute in his current avoidance.

Fuck me Cornish it was a joke, bet it's a right party in your gaff.

Fuck me Cornish it was a joke, bet it's a right party in your gaff.

I realize it was a joke, but it would not be funny to this guy, I'm sure. I have a friend who has not touched a drop for 50 years now because he was determined not to succumb again. He's very extreme about this, but I respect his commitment. I've seen him react to those who joke about it. To him, it's no laughing matter.

Anyway, I didn't mean to distract from the topic in hand. Sorry.

I realize it was a joke, but it would not be funny to this guy, I'm sure. I have a friend who has not touched a drop for 50 years now because he was determined not to succumb again. He's very extreme about this, but I respect his commitment. I've seen him react to those who joke about it. To him, it's no laughing matter.

Anyway, I didn't mean to distract from the topic in hand. Sorry.

Well he shouldn't have touched it in the first place should he. How dare he feel aggrieved by any jokes surrounding this subject it's his own addictive personality that got him in that place. He should be aware that this topic may not be as serious as he wants it to be cause the majority have not been there.

Well he shouldn't have touched it in the first place should he. How dare he feel aggrieved by any jokes surrounding this subject it's his own addictive personality that got him in that place. He should be aware that this topic may not be as serious as he wants it to be cause the majority have not been there.

Written by a man at 11:20pm on a Friday night.... on water where you?

It's not like society doesn't place enormous focus on a young man or woman entering the grown up world of drinking. It's a big honey trap for people who's brain's are wired differerently who will fall into addiction very easily. No one chooses to be an addict.

If 18th birthdays were celebrated with a shot of heroin would you be surprised to see the country overflowing with heroin addicts? Same situation just two different drugs and their social acceptance.

Anyway back to Romelu.

Brett has a point though. Tooany people get hung up on comments that are meant light hearted just because it means more to them. It's like they expect everyone to know and understand what they have been through themselves.... Ignorance comes from both party's.

I remember people apologising for asking how my mother is after she had died.... I asked them why they were apologising because I realised immediately they were not asking to stir things up but we're genuinely concerned.

Lukaku's first touch is still shit though haha!

Although I agree With Haf that your touch doesn't improve much after your teenage years... I would say that your decision making will and that will also be a big bearilng on your control.

Choosing whether to plant your feet, step back or meet the ball will help Rom greatly.

His touch is a tad better, his control has been worse.

Thing is, when he has the ball in possession, he causes defenders to turn on the back foot. They hate facing him with the ball. They'd rather nip in front and stop the attack starting. He's feared. Justified or not.

This helps the likes of Naismith to find pockets or gaps left by defenders looking after Rom. Its happening against Arsenal and Chelsea.

Its the Suarez effect.

Brett has a point though. Tooany people get hung up on comments that are meant light hearted just because it means more to them. It's like they expect everyone to know and understand what they have been through themselves.... Ignorance comes from both party's.

I remember people apologising for asking how my mother is after she had died.... I asked them why they were apologising because I realised immediately they were not asking to stir things up but we're genuinely concerned.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

• 2 weeks later...