IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Jesus Christ it's like ground hog day in this thread.

I thought he started well yesterday but he lacked a lot of support in the end of the first half. 2nd half he should have been better but in all honesty he didn't look interested. He had a rabbit in headlights look, almost as if someone had handed his arse to him at half time and he didn't know how to react.

I just wish you could bottle up what Naismith has inside and give some of it to Lukaku. I don't expect Lukaku to work as hard as Naismith but Lukaku didn't look like he gave a toss and did the pathetic look if chasing the ball as if he was tired. Incidentally when there was a threat on goal he was full of energy again.

Not at all. I don't get the point though, who cares about other teams?

Our striker isn't getting good enough service, and is not being played properly (in my opinion).

You don't get the point? My point is that Lukaku is playing way below par.

You said that he isn't getting the service 'oh look at his stats...only 21 shots...Hardly a lot is it?'

So I used the same website as you to show that other strikers are getting the same amount of shots as Lukaku, in many cases less, but scoring more. So if Lukaku isn't getting the service, then these other guys also aren't? It's not about other teams, it's about other strikers. Surely it's only fair to compare his form to other players in the same position?

You've already said that he isn't playing well. We agree on that. So why are you posting links to try to find blame elsewhere? I don't get it.

You don't get the point? My point is that Lukaku is playing way below par.

You said that he isn't getting the service 'oh look at his stats...only 21 shots...Hardly a lot is it?'

So I used the same website as you to show that other strikers are getting the same amount of shots as Lukaku, in many cases less, but scoring more. So if Lukaku isn't getting the service, then these other guys also aren't? It's not about other teams, it's about other strikers. Surely it's only fair to compare his form to other players in the same position?

You've already said that he isn't playing well. We agree on that. So why are you posting links to try to find blame elsewhere? I don't get it.

I've not denied this!

Honestly, I didn't go into looking at the other stats because I'm exhausted. Costa, Aguero are a class above and have a class above in terms of providers too (Hazard, Fabregas, Silva, Nasri, Toure) but I've not got the energy to go into this again.

I'm not trying to find blame elsewhere either. I'm just trying to defend our player because the amount of finger pointing is beyond belief. There is no one person to blame for the lack of form, the whole team is playing poorly, manager included but because they don't all have a 28m pricetag they don't get the same amount of abuse.

I've seen enough of his "exhausted the defences" nonsense - he actually doesn't! Against Algeria in the world cup he failed to register one touch in the area. Against South Korea he was anonymous. Origi was getting on at around 60 minutes against supposed tired defenders.

Lukaku got on at 94 minutes against a USA team that had ran an average of 12km per man - bit of a difference Matt.

This hard work fallacy - which is what it is, is just the bog standard minimum a striker is expected to do. This final third workrate? I've played the lone sriker role myself and from a comparison perspective it is no where near as demanding as central midfield, full back, or winger - no where near.

OK if not take my word for it, then Graeme Sharp has a clouded judgement - "does not do enough, he does not make enough runs"

:lol: There is simply no point debating with you when you've got something stuck in your head. I saw him with a bib of sweat coming off at half time after making run after run. No one, bar Naismith occasionally, got anywhere near him and no one bar Baines, once, gave him a chance that he could do anything with.

I'll make my judgements based on what I saw, not what someone else from the commentators box saw regardless of how highly he is respected at the club.

Sorry for being abrupt, sorry for being rude. I'm knackered and sick and tired of this conversation. I wish people would just support the lad who, despite not playing well so far, is our player and who should not need defending over and over

I know Matt...I'm exhausted too. He's off form and that's it.

Markjazzbassist...when he does that, then he'll get the plaudits he deserves. As said umpteen times, I'm not writing him off, just saying (as are many others in the mainstream) that he needs to do much more just now.

I think that's balanced?

God my eyes are bleeding.

That's all you needed to do!!! You've cost the lad goals!

Can't believe I've been so stubborn with keeping him there. Coleman too!

Mind you, Naismith has done alright and he has been there for weeks. Actually, he took a dip in form when I put him in too..... I'm a jinx! Will play the wildcard and put a bunch of Liverpool players in instead :D

A bit of an apologetic article to say the least.

The final part of the article gives you a selection of 4 reasons as to why he has been poor:-

• His start last season
  • World cup hangover
  • Uncertainty over role
  • Expectation

The reason I would give is not even on there:-

• He is not as good a player as his previous goalscoring exploits suggest.

Ultimately his transfer fee is the crux of the problem. You can't have a £28m striker at Everton and bench him - the manager will look stupid. If he was a home grown talent he would have been "rested" or even given time in the under 21's.

I have said all along that if being a striker was just about scoring goals like a Tony Cottee or Gary Lineker then he would be fine. The game has changed, 4-5-1/4-3-3 means the striker has to be able to link play effectively and be a part of getting the midfield up the pitch. Defenders are smarter now - they are athletes.

The way we play means that the centre forward needs to be proficient in so much more than just putting the ball away.

People asked why I touted Bony or Welbeck ahead of Lukaku and I feel pretty much vindicated. In terms of finishing in the box there ain't much between them - in fact Lukaku remains pretty much the best option.

I have watched the other two pretty closely and their link up play has been very good, Bony's goal last week, control, give and go - back of the net. Welbeck commits defenders and beats them for pace opening up the opportunites for others.

My solution is simple - take him out the firing line, give him under 21 game time, get some goals and get him fitter. I don't want to see a 21 year old labouring and looking leggy. If he needs to lose a few pounds then get it done.

A bit of an apologetic article to say the least.

The final part of the article gives you a selection of 4 reasons as to why he has been poor:-

• His start last season
  • World cup hangover
  • Uncertainty over role
  • Expectation

The reason I would give is not even on there:-

• He is not as good a player as his previous goalscoring exploits suggest.

Ultimately his transfer fee is the crux of the problem. You can't have a £28m striker at Everton and bench him - the manager will look stupid. If he was a home grown talent he would have been "rested" or even given time in the under 21's.

I have said all along that if being a striker was just about scoring goals like a Tony Cottee or Gary Lineker then he would be fine. The game has changed, 4-5-1/4-3-3 means the striker has to be able to link play effectively and be a part of getting the midfield up the pitch. Defenders are smarter now - they are athletes.

The way we play means that the centre forward needs to be proficient in so much more than just putting the ball away.

People asked why I touted Bony or Welbeck ahead of Lukaku and I feel pretty much vindicated. In terms of finishing in the box there ain't much between them - in fact Lukaku remains pretty much the best option.

I have watched the other two pretty closely and their link up play has been very good, Bony's goal last week, control, give and go - back of the net. Welbeck commits defenders and beats them for pace opening up the opportunites for others.

My solution is simple - take him out the firing line, give him under 21 game time, get some goals and get him fitter. I don't want to see a 21 year old labouring and looking leggy. If he needs to lose a few pounds then get it done.

The problem is we've spent £28m on him and he's all we've got at the moment. So I'll say again.... The only person you can blame here is Martinez?.....

The problem is we've spent £28m on him and he's all we've got at the moment. So I'll say again.... The only person you can blame here is Martinez?.....

I've already held Martinez accountable for signing him.

Now we have him I want to see the lad show Naismith esque desire and effort. Not just going through the motions "look at me pressing the defenders" in a half arsed effort.

Time to deliver one way or another.

i was disappointed with the 4 options as well. where was option 5 - he has a broken toe and is playing injured

Broken toe? In 2005 I broke my big toe in two places right across the knuckle. Nail fell off the lot. Played footy on ibuprofen a week or so after. I'm not buying this broken toe as a reason for lack of fitness. He has proper medical team behind him too.

A broken toe is a dull ache. the bone heals fully within 6 weeks.

I've already held Martinez accountable for signing him.

Now we have him I want to see the lad show Naismith esque desire and effort. Not just going through the motions "look at me pressing the defenders" in a half arsed effort.

Time to deliver one way or another.

Yes, Naismith desire when against utd he was missing the 'es' in desire.

Yes, Naismith desire when against utd he was missing the 'es' in desire.

What game did you watch? Sorry to break it to you but a free signing from the Scottish league is our top striker at the moment. The £28m poster boy is about as much use as mirallas and Barkley at this moment in time.

I know you love the marquee name players but really you need to open your eyes to what they are bringing to the party - not what they can bring if and when. Without Naismiths goals this season we would be close to bottom 3.

What game did you watch? Sorry to break it to you but a free signing from the Scottish league is our top striker at the moment. The £28m poster boy is about as much use as mirallas and Barkley at this moment in time.

I know you love the marquee name players but really you need to open your eyes to what they are bringing to the party - not what they can bring if and when. Without Naismiths goals this season we would be close to bottom 3.

Hate to break it to you Haf but we can't get any closer.

Haf if you read my posts you will see I'm saying there both shite. It's just that lukaku at 28 mil makes Naismith look like messi. That's what's wrong. Distorted vision.

It's a fair good point. Naismith took his goal well but he went largely unnoticed throughout. I remember in the first half where he actually could have played Lukaku in but he turned backwards and laid it off. That's probably my main frustration with him playing in that role.

The pure effort of Naismith though was needed in that second half. It's something the whole team could take his example from, especially the big man.

I genuinely think Naismiths success is coming from the attention Lukaku gets... Credit to Naismith don't get me wrong I've been hugely impressed with him and with out his goals we would be gone ( similar to Cahill a few years back ) however I'm reserving judgement on Rom until Ross is back.. For what ever reason Naismith doesn't attract attention of defenders and Ross does creating space for others. And haf I don't think you can critise Rom relentlessly for poor touch/lay offs when Naismith is really no better..