IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

The way I see it now is keep playing him. Regardless of his erratic touch, he needs fitness, sharpness and confidence. It will be a good test of his character to overcome a crisis of confidence and get some real mental strength. Naismith is an example in this regard.

"Professionally" - Naismith can be a tremendous mentor for Rom. Technically Eto can. The players do root for him, but he is not without his critics, namely Seamus, Coleman can be often seen berating him when he ain't putting it in.

Spot on.

Tbf Coleman's a bit of a nark and will moan at anyone, and anything :P.

Coleman and Mirallas are always arguing on the pitch..... Off the field they're bezzies. Must admit Coleman is a bit of a nark, however nicest most down to earth bloke you!d ever meet of the pitch. I've been fortunate enough meet him at one of the STH events.

don't know if this has been mentioned before but apparently lukaku has been dumped by ( / broken up with) his girlfriend.. his friends claim that this is the reason for his drop in form..

It's been hinted at yeah. Sources from Belgium I think.

Christ, if he's anything like me at his age...splitting up with a bird will knock him for 6.

He'll be alright though. Barkley will take him out on town where he'll get plenty of birds flying his way!

Christ, if he's anything like me at his age...splitting up with a bird will knock him for 6.

He'll be alright though. Barkley will take him out on town where he'll get plenty of birds flying his way!

I split up with my first girlfriend at 21 (call it a break whilst she went to work on cruise ships) - I was back in the mix within one week and didn't look back. At 21 he is too young for emotional involvement like that - then again it is meant to be good grounding for players so who knows.

If he stays out of the Newz bar etc then he has a good chance of not picking up the wrong type of girl ala Romeys post above.

I split up with my first girlfriend at 21 (call it a break whilst she went to work on cruise ships) - I was back in the mix within one week and didn't look back. At 21 he is too young for emotional involvement like that - then again it is meant to be good grounding for players so who knows.

If he stays out of the Newz bar etc then he has a good chance of not picking up the wrong type of girl ala Romeys post above.

Ai, we're all different though. See, girls were always my Achilles heal!!!

Newz bar sounds interesting!!!

Ai, we're all different though. See, girls were always my Achilles heal!!!

Newz bar sounds interesting!!!

Newz bar girls are very interesting. You could look like Brad Pitt but unless you have £3000 rolled up in your pocket and act that you are minted then they walk past as if their part time job in river island and maxed out credit cards deserves much better.

Some in there are too quality and pretty decent to go with it, but unfortunately it's the pretenders who give them a bad name.

Going back 10-12 years now but you get the picture.

Newz bar girls are very interesting. You could look like Brad Pitt but unless you have £3000 rolled up in your pocket and act that you are minted then they walk past as if their part time job in river island and maxed out credit cards deserves much better.

Some in there are too quality and pretty decent to go with it, but unfortunately it's the pretenders who give them a bad name.

Going back 10-12 years now but you get the picture.

Couldn't of put it any better myself.

Most are vile wannabes who live in a terraced house and don't have a pot to piss in yet look down their noses at an honest good looking lad who hasn't got much. Big fat ugly sweaty greasy knob head with a bank roll and you're in.

Disgusting creatures.

Being only 21, pro footballer and in a "new" (he's been for a while already) country, all he's known is success so far.

This is probably the first major set back in his life, we can't know how much the girl meant for him but if he loved her he'll have a hard time for a while. It may even seem that football does not make sense for him anymore. Hopefully Roberto and the coaches will help him through, life is much more than football and the sooner he figures that out the better he'll perform. Footballers always perform better when they feel happy, loved and everything is clicking.

Obviously, being a pro footballer also will help finding a proper substitute in no time, or at least a few hotties to make it easier for him.

All in all, for a while it's better if he stays single: I don't remember in which sport it was, but there was a quote in one of the speed sports such as "if he gets married, he will lose 1 second per lap".

We need a hunger Lukaku. Focus on your job (get goals), then the rest will get sorted out.

I looked at that stat and thought it was really impressive till I realised benteke missed a season, bale was sold, sturridge Sat on a bench at Chelsea, Michu got injured, berbatov was sold. It kinda placed Rom just above rickie lambert.... So all in all not a great one. Rooney isn't there though...

I think today personifies Rom. Let's just see how he does. I don't feel the need to highlight his development needs, they are clear as day.

He loves scoring goals but he needs to tighten his game up. All this x amount of goals by x age and more goals than x y z is nonsense.

His poor touch costs us too much. It's about margins at this level. Just hope we can hold out now.

Edited by Hafnia

The enigma of Lukaku...

I think we seen it all today vs Burnley. And we just have to get used to it.

His touches are 50/50. But I think the 50% good ones are getting better. Some real good head ons, chest control, general control and little passes. Equally he can give it away horrendously, as we seen.

I can cope with this so long as he bangs in 20 goals a season. And I think he will come close to this this season.

What I find more frustrating is the lack of effort in closing down or holding off defenders.

Several times today he didn't seem to be 100% convincing when closing down.

The full scope of Lukaku could be seen today around 50 mins. Lays it off to Eto'o, makes a good run, Eto'o plays it just behind him. Lukaku does well to battle to win the ball back, lays it out wide to Baines, Baines has a choice to swing it in but Lukaku is on edge of box. Defender close by. Baines plays it to Lukaku who stands and waits for the ball. Meanwhile defender easily steps in, brushes aside Lukaku, ball bounces off ref...Lukaku made no attempt to chase or challenge for the ball.

Compare that to Barkley when he gave the ball away...He sprinted the width of the pitch to try and win it back.

I accept Lukaku is what he is.

The enigma of Lukaku...

(...)

What I find more frustrating is the lack of effort in closing down or holding off defenders.

(...)

I accept Lukaku is what he is.

Lukaku with the attitude of Eto'o would be a world beater.

I expect him to improve, but you can tell he's had it easy so far in his career and he needs to toughen up.

Eto'o had a terrible start of career (signed 14 for Real Madrid and was labeled uncoachable at the time), was loaned out countlessly to poor teams -CD Leganés, RCD Espanyol among others-, changed his attitude and massively improved when he was 23 in Mallorca and then Barcelona signed him and we all know how it went. You can see the guy is always hungry, chasing opponents and making the runs. He is ambitious and he shows it.

Guest millwallforever

I sometimes have the impression that he works much harder for his country than he does for his club. For Belgium he willingly chases 'lost causes'; that hunger appears to be absent when he plays for us. A rocket up his arse?

Lukaku with the attitude of Eto'o would be a world beater.

I expect him to improve, but you can tell he's had it easy so far in his career and he needs to toughen up.

Eto'o had a terrible start of career (signed 14 for Real Madrid and was labeled uncoachable at the time), was loaned out countlessly to poor teams -CD Leganés, RCD Espanyol among others-, changed his attitude and massively improved when he was 23 in Mallorca and then Barcelona signed him and we all know how it went. You can see the guy is always hungry, chasing opponents and making the runs. He is ambitious and he shows it.

It's as simple as this. We play three attacking midfielders so that Lukaku can play off the defenders shoulder point to where he wants the through balls and smash the back of the net. What he is doing is coming too deep to get involved and playing mindless passes.

I am quite worried for lads confidence at the minute. When he walked on the pitch at the final whistle, you could here the everton fans singing for Eto really loud and he looked like a man who has clearly had his nose put out of joint.

It's as simple as this. We play three attacking midfielders so that Lukaku can play off the defenders shoulder point to where he wants the through balls and smash the back of the net. What he is doing is coming too deep to get involved and playing mindless passes.

I am quite worried for lads confidence at the minute. When he walked on the pitch at the final whistle, you could here the everton fans singing for Eto really loud and he looked like a man who has clearly had his nose put out of joint.

I have no idea why but this had me giggling my head off.

I didn't see the moment you're referencing, but perhaps it'll just provide some motivation for him. As Newt said, Lukaku can be frustrating at times, but I too believe that his moments of decent control are getting better. His involvement in Eto'o's first was important, as were his touches in the build up for his own goal. After messing up, he fought back to get that goal, that showed some character. I'm not interested in throwing so much negativity at one of our players. He's got things to work on, he'll get better, and he's got years ahead of him. Martinez will make sure he improves. We've got one of the most exciting attacking tandems in the league (him and Barkley),developing right before our eyes. I'm all for having high standards, but the criticism can be overdone.

We did but after Eto'o disappeared down the tunnel Lukaku got the same treatment, the fans sang their fucking lungs out to him ,,"rome romelu etc etc romelu lukaku to the tune of skip to me lu my darling. It went on for a good 3 minutes and he stopped, applauded us and smashed his hand over the badge.

He looked made up to me I think his goal saved him today. Not sure why he was subbed though Osman was huffing and puffing after 20 minutes.

Following on from Glenn Hoddles comments about "Technical development" - I can't help but agree with him on his "kick the ball against a wall" drills.

He said he tuned his passing skills and touch by spending hours kicking the ball at different heights and weights. Would it benefit Romelu? It can't hurt him to do this. Not sure about how much he can improve at his age but for me he has to spend intensive time working on this.

His pass to their player yesterday was a mixture of complete mindlessness and an inability to deal with a ball with his first touch. Its no different to having a cricketer who can't catch very well. Sometimes you may only get one chance at catching a Brian Lara shot and if you mess it up he can go on to score 150 runs.

Yesterday was an example of how costly it can be to not have sharp fundamental skills. We got away with it, Rom nabbed a goal which took the burden off him. But really he has got to work on his feet.

Eto gave a master class yesterday. He has as Big Dunc described himself having - "chewing gum feet".