IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Did City play at a walking pace meaning that when Aguero received the ball everyone was fully organised and in position to deal with him?

The fact is we play too slowly, there is no change of pace, so sides can get back and be organised when we eventually get to them.

I can hardly remember us even giving the ball to Lukaku to see the ball bounce off him and piss everyone off.

This is key. Our build up play was so slow that it allowed Spurs to drag everyone back, get into shape and look like they defended solid. We need to keep the same idea of play, as in keep ball, but when attacking, do so with pace. We can, and have on many occasions, played this way and it works brilliantly.

Can't put any blame on Lukaku yesterday. By the time we worked the ball up into his 'zone', there was no where for him to go.

Did City play at a walking pace meaning that when Aguero received the ball everyone was fully organised and in position to deal with him?

The fact is we play too slowly, there is no change of pace, so sides can get back and be organised when we eventually get to them.

I can hardly remember us even giving the ball to Lukaku to see the ball bounce off him and piss everyone off.

Yeap, slow slow slow!!! Also every time Coleman had the ball there was no one to pass to, the lack of movement by eto'o and barkley was poor. We play best with proper wingers and barkley /eto'o/Naismith behind lukaku, I really don't think any of the above three should be on the pitch at the same time. Unless we play two up front!

I have posted this before. We have exactly the same problem as England, we spend so much time passing the ball around at the back that the opposition have all the time they need to get their defence sorted out. Against Spurs, whenever we got the ball forward, everyone was marked. I felt sorry for Lukaku, very little support. In the second-half he chased a through ball into the penalty area to the left of the posts and through sheer strength beat the defender to the ball and got a cross in. There wasn't a single Everton player in the penalty area, nor even close. Sometimes it seems they are all under orders 1. Not to get too far forward 2. Not to shoot. Maybe Mirallas got a bollocking for shooting from outside the box.

I have posted this before. We have exactly the same problem as England, we spend so much time passing the ball around at the back that the opposition have all the time they need to get their defence sorted out. Against Spurs, whenever we got the ball forward, everyone was marked. I felt sorry for Lukaku, very little support. In the second-half he chased a through ball into the penalty area to the left of the posts and through sheer strength beat the defender to the ball and got a cross in. There wasn't a single Everton player in the penalty area, nor even close. Sometimes it seems they are all under orders 1. Not to get too far forward 2. Not to shoot. Maybe Mirallas got a bollocking for shooting from outside the box.

Me too, Im usually frustrated with him but by no means did he really do anything wrong because the ball was never near him to do wrong.

Spot on mate. Absolutely bang on.

I'm glad some others are starting to recognize this, its been like this all season!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, it's like this.

He needs a rocket up his arse.

We have given him plenty of excuses...post world cup blues, sore toe, broken heart etc.

It's simple now...He needs to work harder. A lot harder. More effort to lose his marker. More diagonal runs.

He needs to look at Eto'o and Kone (now) and learn from these guys. If he wants to fulfill his potential, he needs to be looking at these types.

I still believe he'll come good. But my word he is frustrating at times!!!

He did have a poor game, but I'd just like him to get the same treatment from our fans that they give to others in the side. Quite rightly there were murmurings of discontent about his performance last night when he was losing aerial battles, or just not jumping at all, but then Eto'o comes on and I watched him three times stand stock still and just stare at the ball in the air and made absolutely no effort to win the ball and there wasn't a peep from anyone around me. Not one.

Criticise when he deserves it, and he did last night, but at least be fair about it.

He did have a poor game, but I'd just like him to get the same treatment from our fans that they give to others in the side. Quite rightly there were murmurings of discontent about his performance last night when he was losing aerial battles, or just not jumping at all, but then Eto'o comes on and I watched him three times stand stock still and just stare at the ball in the air and made absolutely no effort to win the ball and there wasn't a peep from anyone around me. Not one.

Criticise when he deserves it, and he did last night, but at least be fair about it.

I said exactly this in the game thread. Someone put he was class yet at least 3 times he just never moved and stood and watched as their defenders just controlled it on their chest or had a free header. Not even a challenge or token gesture of one.

Lukaku needs to pull his finger out his arse though. Of that there is no doubt.

To be honest I did see Eto do that and in fairness he had absolutely no intention of jumping. With him you wouldn't know if he though "I'm not making that i've got a chance of the second ball though" - players used to do that against Big Dunc.

The problem I had with Rom is that he can't jump and his timing and positioning for the ball is woeful - he stands underneath it and jumps. Where is the run up and anticipation of where the ball will be at the optimum height???

Naismith is brilliant at this:- anticipate, run, jump, header it it. Ferguson was the best I have seen at it.

To be honest I did see Eto do that and in fairness he had absolutely no intention of jumping. With him you wouldn't know if he though "I'm not making that i've got a chance of the second ball though" - players used to do that against Big Dunc.

The problem I had with Rom is that he can't jump and his timing and positioning for the ball is woeful - he stands underneath it and jumps. Where is the run up and anticipation of where the ball will be at the optimum height???

Naismith is brilliant at this:- anticipate, run, jump, header it it. Ferguson was the best I have seen at it.

So if it's Eto'o he may be thinking he has a chance of the second ball but if it's Lukaku he's a lazy lump of shit.

I saw all 3 headers he never jumped for they were right on line with me and my 7 year old wouldn't of missed any of them let aline a 6ft plus professional footballer. He stood there and never moved, there was never even a millionth of a chance they would be missed they had all been lumped up crom our box to the half way line and he never bothered to even move let alone challenge.

I did see Rom headers or attempts, I especially thought his thumping header right at one of our defenders was special.

I have no issues with criticism of a player if he doesn't put effort in. Regardless of who they are.

Personally I seen more from Kone and eto in 10 minutes than I did from Rom all game. I would start those two.

I did see Rom headers or attempts, I especially thought his thumping header right at one of our defenders was special.

I have no issues with criticism of a player if he doesn't put effort in. Regardless of who they are.

Personally I seen more from Kone and eto in 10 minutes than I did from Rom all game. I would start those two.

Got to agree. I was saying this today in work. When kone and Eto'o where on we looked like scoring everytime we were around the box.

Come on, whatever you think, whoever you want to argue with, Lukaku isn't doing the business this season. It's been widely noticed and noted.

The main things that's being picked up on is that he needs to play with more aggression, determination and make better runs.

This isn't just based on the QPR game...This is thinking about his season so far. He has frustrated more than he has pleased.

Kone against Kadnospar(?) and in a few minutes against QPR looked impressive, especially considering he has been out for a year.

Eto'o can produce but doesn't look right up top for a full game. Deeper he looks really good.

As I type this, I think to myself that Lukaku is playing like a player with no real competition for his place.

Kone will change that. Kobe needs a run out. Lukaku needs dropping. Lukaku will benefit. Everton will benefit.

We aren't exactly providing him chance after chance. That's the issue

Sometimes that's the issue. Against Spurs that was the issue. Read back, I said something along those lines at the time.

But see his performance yesterday, he isn't allowing his team mates to create a chance for him. His team mates won't look for him if he is static and not making any runs. If he is doing nothing to lose his man, he won't get picked out. The only times he lost his man was running deeper, in which case defenders generally say 'fuck ya, off you go away from goal, no problem'.

Think about playing football yourself, do you ever look to pass to a team mate who is closely marked or do you look to pick out the man who is either making a run or stood unmarked?

He just needs to do more. We've seen that he can do it. Now do it 3 games in 4 instead of 1 in 4.

Sometimes that's the issue. Against Spurs that was the issue. Read back, I said something along those lines at the time.

But see his performance yesterday, he isn't allowing his team mates to create a chance for him. His team mates won't look for him if he is static and not making any runs. If he is doing nothing to lose his man, he won't get picked out. The only times he lost his man was running deeper, in which case defenders generally say 'fuck ya, off you go away from goal, no problem'.

Think about playing football yourself, do you ever look to pass to a team mate who is closely marked or do you look to pick out the man who is either making a run or stood unmarked?

He just needs to do more. We've seen that he can do it. Now do it 3 games in 4 instead of 1 in 4.

Newty, what you don't see watching it on telly is his constant runs and him pointing where he wants the ball played, he's screaming for it at times pointing at space in front of him and starting a run begging for it to be played there. It usually gets passed sideways then back . He atops and you can see the exasperation on his face. After doing that 20 times the 21st time you probably aren't going to bother.

He doesn't just stand static but he is admittedly laY when it comes tochasing the ball down and jumping for headers etc but he shows constantly for the ball the problem is he rarely gets it.

One thing for sure is when he does get a chance he almost always puts it away. Fans have been screaming for a 20 goal a season striker for years and now we have one. If you want one thats already the finished article and as good as a Suarez then you're needing to pay upwards of 80 million. We paid 28, for what he is now it's too much for what he may become it could turn out a steal. It's his first season as our player he's playing in a way that's not his strength and he's 21. Give the lad a chance. Everyone screaming give Martinez time, give Mcgeady time, Barkley time wtc well what about Lukaku? The lad miscontrols a ball and we should sell him for a pack of cheese and onion crisps it's fucking pathetic. Total double standards.

If at the end of next season he's still at this level I'll start to worry until then he's a sound investment in my eyes.

Newty, what you don't see watching it on telly is his constant runs and him pointing where he wants the ball played, he's screaming for it at times pointing at space in front of him and starting a run begging for it to be played there. It usually gets passed sideways then back . He atops and you can see the exasperation on his face. After doing that 20 times the 21st time you probably aren't going to bother.

He doesn't just stand static but he is admittedly laY when it comes tochasing the ball down and jumping for headers etc but he shows constantly for the ball the problem is he rarely gets it.

This! It happens every single game and it must be fucking infuriating for him. Time after time he'll make a run into space and the ball just does not arrive. Last night he ran into space and was screaming for the ball, the fella behind me is screaming at our man "give it to him, give it to him!" Does it end up with him? Nah, we dick about and go sideways.

It's not an excuse for him, or a defence for last night's performance, because it wasn't up to scratch by any stretch of the imagination, but unwarranted criticism isn't right.

Yeah, you see its pretty difficult to have a balanced opinion on here isn't it? I take it game by game. But it seems with Lukaku (and maybe other subjects), you're either attacking or defending him. Just trying to give a balanced and fair view of his season so far.

There's been loads of contradictions on here recently, peeps are tying themselves in knots trying to justify their views.

And I can see everything on my TV...its massive!!! :D

Can I ask though, if he is making all these runs, why in the 'mainstream' is his work rate being questioned? Or do you think his work rate has dropped recently?

I think it's because he's a selfish player. He's happy to put the work in by making runs to benefit himself (because those runs could lead to a goal for himself), but he's a lot less willing to put the work in chasing things down that won't necessarily lead to something coming off for him.

He's like the opposite to Andy Johnson who would work his arse off for the team and then have nothing left to do anything for himself.

What Rom needs to do is find a balance. We need a selfish striker but we also need him to help out the team a bit more.

Yeah, you see its pretty difficult to have a balanced opinion on here isn't it? I take it game by game. But it seems with Lukaku (and maybe other subjects), you're either attacking or defending him. Just trying to give a balanced and fair view of his season so far.

There's been loads of contradictions on here recently, peeps are tying themselves in knots trying to justify their views.

And I can see everything on my TV...its massive!!! :D

Firstly, that wasn't a pop at you watching it on tv it absolutely wasn't. Not sure if you took it like that but if you did, don't as it wasn't.

Secondly I've never waivered from Luukaku. Yes last nights performance was poor but all players (even Messi and the likes) have poor games. I've always defended him for reasons I've banged on about enough now but watching the game in real time you can choose to watch what you want rather than being dictated to by the camera and I watch all players when they are off the ball.

You would think listening to people on here he just stands still and walks around. He doesn't, he is CONSTANTLY asking for the ball to be played to him and played where he wants it where he knows if it arrives he'll just bomb on which is what he knows he's good at. He runs and runs and points and dictates where he wants it the player stops checks and passes sideways, his arms fly up in the air and he just shakes his head and trots back into position. It happens an awful lot so this line of thinking that he's a lazy fucker is wide of the mark. Aspects of his game are lazy but he probably thinks "fuck off I've made a zillion runs into space now you've lost it I'm not chasing the fucking thing for nothing" whether that's the right attitude is debatable but it's whats happening.

This! It happens every single game and it must be fucking infuriating for him. Time after time he'll make a run into space and the ball just does not arrive. Last night he ran into space and was screaming for the ball, the fella behind me is screaming at our man "give it to him, give it to him!" Does it end up with him? Nah, we dick about and go sideways.

It's not an excuse for him, or a defence for last night's performance, because it wasn't up to scratch by any stretch of the imagination, but unwarranted criticism isn't right.

Sometimes I wonder if our players just aren't aeeing what he is seeing because they never pick him out with a pass. I often wonder how he would do in Uniteds side that play quick counter attacking football with players who can pick a pass . I think he's excel in aside like that, he's just not suited to our slow pissy pants side ways build up type of game but who's faults that, his for not being that type of player or Martinez for trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Can I ask though, if he is making all these runs, why in the 'mainstream' is his work rate being questioned? Or do you think his work rate has dropped recently?

If the 'mainstream' is on here.... Then it's because you're all tele clappers and can't see him asking for the ball and making runs :P

It's all very well running and pointing, 9 times out of 10 it's not even a viable ball! There is no checking or feigning, one speed straight ahead.

Part of being a striker is to understand that. Why does naismith, eto and Kone not have the same issues in terms of getting the ball in a way that they know what to do with it. The problem is he can only deal with a ball in front of him. It's unbelievable.

Martinez has tried him out wide in order to see if he can get a run on his marker, they sussed out that he has no control and Mark him tight. That's that.

I will tell you what the problem is, he has no mobility. He can run after a few strides and go in a straight line, but unfortunately he hasn't got the change of direction to feign, go one way and check, he starts his gallop and points, it's about movement not straight line running.

Hate to use him as an example but watch sturridge in this regard. Feign, check, turn, not just run in a line.