IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I know that Lukaku's touch ended up in conceding a goal against Burnley but in the Lille game several players made several far worse touches that the one Lukaku did but luckily for them it didn't end up putting the opposition player through (eventually) but barely a peep is made.

He doesn't have the most amazing touch in the world but if he was the perfect player he wouldn't be at Everton. He is a bloody good finisher, he does work hard and as he has shown he will score goals and help create goals for others.

I know that Lukaku's touch ended up in conceding a goal against Burnley but in the Lille game several players made several far worse touches that the one Lukaku did but luckily for them it didn't end up putting the opposition player through (eventually) but barely a peep is made.

He doesn't have the most amazing touch in the world but if he was the perfect player he wouldn't be at Everton. He is a bloody good finisher, he does work hard and as he has shown he will score goals and help create goals for others.

See the Barkley thread for my views on this. Barkleys done it about 5 times in his last 2 games but that's ok cos he's capable of lighting up a game. Granted Lukakus touch led toa goal but Barkleys been lucky his sloppyness hasn't cost us as well.

Infuriates me the way one player gets a walk over and another gets leathered over it.

This post isn't a dig at anyone in particular by the way just the general consensus.

See the Barkley thread for my views on this. Barkleys done it about 5 times in his last 2 games but that's ok cos he's capable of lighting up a game. Granted Lukakus touch led toa goal but Barkleys been lucky his sloppyness hasn't cost us as well.

Infuriates me the way one player gets a walk over and another gets leathered over it.

This post isn't a dig at anyone in particular by the way just the general consensus.

Yeh I have actually so you can be let off :)

There are literally pages analysing almost every single one of Rom's touches but its only an odd line here or there for the rest.

Barkley has potential to be brilliant. But you look at the German player Kroos and realise that type of player is on a whole other level to Barkley. Even when Kroos was 20 he was well ahead of Barkley. He's also more versatile. I'm sure if Kroos was pushed to be more of an attacking player he'd be the best there too.

Point here is Barkley can be a little over hyped. He's no Rooney for instance. However he has the potential to be as good as the players I mention. He's just behind in his development from other superstars.

I don't think anyone has said Barkley is perfect, his bad moments are usually brain farts as opposed to lack of ability.

What we are talking about with Rom is the lack of ability in controlling a football. The issue with Barkley is usually a poor decision which will come with experience.

Both young lads and will improve.

Barkley's main problem is he tried too hard.

You can see he tried the one touch lay off when his natural instinct is to turn.

The biggest difference between the two more me is effort. Barkley messes up and he sprints back trying to attone while Rom looks to the sky for divine intervention.

I think if Rom just added work ethic to his game he might win most of his doubters over.

His touch is bad, ridiculously bad for a player of his worth. But I have seen improvements recently. He has started to improve, the problem is once he has that bad touch it haunts him for the test of the match.

On another Rom point, had anyone actually noticed he plays the diagonal ball to perfection? The turn and play the ball into our wingers or full backs path is a skill we are really benefitting from.

Maybe Rom has more in his locker then we give him credit for, myself included.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear Duncan is showing Rom a few things.

Finished Duncans book and its a really interesting read. There is no doubt that he was far more talented than what we seen, he just had a mentality that meant only certain situations got him firing on all cylinders:-

• Alan Shearer visiting Goodison in 1996 - he marched around Bellefield telling everyone he was going to show him who was the best and he had an awesome game - was unplayable.
  • Against Germany for Scotland - hit crossd bar with an overhead kick and dominated them - Bertie Vogts had never seen anything like him. Rangers signed him for a british record fee afterwards.
  • Man United - say no more
  • Derby games - all started with Ruddock kicking him - don't make him angry
  • Bolton - was given captains armband and scored a hat trick

Very frustrating but no doubt could play to a very high level.

If Rom can learn of Big Dunc - then we will have a player. I don't doubt Rom "wants to be great" - but has he got the aggression and work rate?

Some players are flat track bullies, it appears Duncan was the opposite. Right now his application is said to be incredible - first in and last out of finch farm.

Rom could be his finest contribution to Everton.

Guest blueboy122

He has said he was injured during the first two months of the season and now he is firing on full cylinders... Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and bag us 20 goals in the league.

Just on FF and Lukaku has a goal or an assist in every couple of games. If you include assists it makes him a 1 in 2 striker, without the assist he's 1 in 2.3 games. Not bad for a 21 year old who's not been fully fit and playing in a team that's been without 3 of its best players Barkley, Coleman and Mirallas for half the matches.

Under Moyes our top goalscorer averaged 9.5 per season. Lukaku has already matched our best goalscorer over a decade and on current form would get 13 and match Saha our 2nd top scorer under Moyes 09/10.

Yakubu's 15 goals (and 3 assists) but only 5 (plus 1 assist) against top half teams compared to 10 goals and 5 assists of Lukaku's being against top half clubs. Both seasons we finished 5th, I'd argue last years team had more quality, but Yakubu had a bigger advantage as we played to his strengths.

He's not as good as Aguero or RVP, but at his worst Lukaku is as good as the best we've had since 96/97, so ffs stop the bloody moaning.

But.....

He cant score goals like Shearer. Win headers like Dzeko. Doesnt have the work rate of Costa and cant control a ball like Berbatov. All this and he's the ripe old age of 21!

And he cost £28m so i'd expect him to all of the above and more!

:afro2:

... :dry:

But.....

He cant score goals like Shearer. Win headers like Dzeko. Doesnt have the work rate of Costa and cant control a ball like Berbatov. All this and he's the ripe old age of 21!

And how much did Torres cost?

(Btw, Torres cost Chelsea £2 500 000 per league goal, Lukaku is already at £1 473 684 per league goal and he is still playing for Everton) Yes I counted last seasons goals when he was here on a loan but its not fair to compare the cost per goal over this season only.

Awaits Hafs response*

But.....

Ah!!! he scored a tap in against the mighty Iceland - and by adding in "assists" to goals in makes him a 1 in 2 player.... blimey, what on earth was I worrying about!

The thing about stats is - they need to be normalised, remove the outliers don't put them in to dilute the unfavourable aspect of the argument. Its called "spin".... something that the club have insulted intelligence with for quite some time now. We don't need fans to throw their outliers in - we are all too aware of how the 17th placed finishes reflected in terms of top goalscorers.

Pound for pound - Yak had the best goalscoring season by far relevant to number of goals scored by the team and points earned.

Seriously. First clue in being an analyst, the more "subjective" elements thrown in, the more likley it is that the person is defending/hiding something.

Example:-

SPIN:-

"The weather in England isn't too bad, in the sumer months of May to August 2011, on the days when it didn't rain the average temperature was 78f... this is only just behind Spain who on their Non rain days averaged 82f"

Non SPIN:-

"In 2011 during the summer months, England averaged an average temperature of 65f, of the 90 days there was rain on 35 of them. In comparison Spain had an average temperature of 80f and it only rained on 3 days"

Edited by Hafnia

Hows this for cutting through the spin;

• All types of goals (bar own goals) win games.
  • Lukaku scores goals.
  • Lukaku assists goals.

Argue those points. If the price tag is brought up again, I am going to be less than impressed...

Edited by Matt

Hows this for cutting through the spin;

• All types of goals (bar own goals) win games.
  • Lukaku scores goals.
  • Lukaku assists goals.

Argue those points. If the price tag is brought up again, I am going to be less than impressed...

2014 so far.... he is a 1 in 3 striker 11 in 32 games. Pro rata that and he is a 12.5 goals a season striker ..... Jermaine Beckford got 8 goals in 2010-2011 as a substitute playing approximately the equivalent to 25 games - 1 in 3 striker again.

Jermaine Beckford scored as many goals per games in a poorer team.

I only ever see televised games but based on the few games I have seen I don't think Lukaku fits into the system Everton play. Too often, he is a 'target man' and this is where his poor first touch lets him (and the system) down. I am also disappointed in his heading, he should do a lot better for a big lad. In a recent game he had a free header from the edge of the six yard box which he 'glanced' yards wide. A 'glancing' header is very difficult to control, he was under no pressure and could have got his full forehead on it which would have been a certain goal. His strength is when he gets a through ball to run onto and the coaches should work on how we do this instead of having him stood (like a statue) with his back to goal most of the time. I accept that he's maybe brilliant in all the games I haven't seen. :D

2014 so far.... he is a 1 in 3 striker 11 in 32 games. Pro rata that and he is a 12.5 goals a season striker ..... Jermaine Beckford got 8 goals in 2010-2011 as a substitute playing approximately the equivalent to 25 games - 1 in 3 striker again.

Jermaine Beckford scored as many goals per games in a poorer team.

Missing the point though Haf. It doesn't matter who you compare him against, he is scoring goals, which win games, which he was brought in to do.

I also still wish we had never sold Beckford, even if we did make a nice profit on him.