IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

We're asking a lot from a player who's main strength is putting the ball in the back of the net.

There's nothing for him to go off. When was his last clear cut opportunity? That's either him being in the wrong positions or there just isn't any service. I'll go with the latter for now.

Similar pattern emerging here. Striker comes to Everton then their goals dry up. Jelavics got 4 in 7 at Hull.

Similar pattern emerging here. Striker comes to Everton then their goals dry up. Jelavics got 4 in 7 at Hull.

yeah i've been following nikica, he's on a great run right now. not to take anything away from him but i'd like to see his return for the whole season, he's a hot and cold guy, but he's real hot right now. 6m we sold him for?

i agree somewhat with a lot of what people are saying, my main retort is simply that he is the person who their team strategically shuts down each game. in many sports you go after their "star" player and shut them down and hope no one else will step up. last season ross broke onto the scene and teams started targeting him. he had a dry patch but lukaku was banging em in during that. then they go for lukaku and coleman or mirallas is banging em in.

problem is we don't have anyone to bang em in while rom is being shut down now. with ross, coleman, and mirallas injured, we're hoof to rom or pass and go nowhere. it's not his fault we are one dimensional. he can't take on 2 cb, create a play and be on the end of the play he created.

But it his fault that he is playing one dimensional. He needs to up his game. Be more aggressive. Want it more. Use his strength to his advantage.

look at Diego Costa. All defenders know how good he is. They try to get into him...He doesn't take any shit, he gets stuck in.

And if Rom isn't getting the service from his team mates that he needs, he needs to get stuck into them and start barking where and when he wants it.

But it his fault that he is playing one dimensional. He needs to up his game. Be more aggressive. Want it more. Use his strength to his advantage.

look at Diego Costa. All defenders know how good he is. They try to get into him...He doesn't take any shit, he gets stuck in.

And if Rom isn't getting the service from his team mates that he needs, he needs to get stuck into them and start barking where and when he wants it.

diego costa has cesc fabregas supplying him (don't have a equal here), hazard making runs and taking on 2 players (ross is injured, same with mirallas) or shurlle making runs (coleman injured). he's not a one man team. costa doesn't pass to himself, make a creative burst and touch to himself cross to himself and score.

If there was floods off balls being put in the box, constant through balls and endless missed opportunities by him I'd agree with mob but people are looking at his all round game when he's a striker. Some of the best strikers in the world past and present offer little else but goals. There's plenty of world class strikers who'd come in this side and struggle.

I think what we should be looking at is the opportunities Lukaku has been given by his team mates.... Not many.

diego costa has cesc fabregas supplying him (don't have a equal here), hazard making runs and taking on 2 players (ross is injured, same with mirallas) or shurlle making runs (coleman injured). he's not a one man team. costa doesn't pass to himself, make a creative burst and touch to himself cross to himself and score. [/quote

You've missed the point of why I used Costa. Follow the posts. You mentioned star players being marked out of games. I'm saying Costa does not allow this to happen. Rom does. Yet Rom is physically capable of putting any defender on their arse.

I agree he needs to start shouting for support, but why is it down to him? Manager needs to shoulder some stick here. This time last last year he got service and was scoring. This time he is being used as a target man. It's the same thing as Jelavic - give him a chance and he will bury it, ask him to drop deep or hold up play, he looks poor. If it was Moyes in charge, it would only be the manager getting an earful, asking to work the channels, asking to hold up play. But because Captain Charisma is in charge it's the players fault.

He was far from static today, he was making so many runs, jumping for balls and I'm not surprised he wasn't closing down the defenders because there was no one around him to back him up. He looked knackered at halftime because he had worked so hard, but no one was around to feed him or support him (Naismith occasionall) Our formation lately is meaning a gap of 20-30 yards between him and the midfielders!

The game at United today was a Moyes performance and that is not the strikers fault

If there was floods off balls being put in the box, constant through balls and endless missed opportunities by him I'd agree with mob but people are looking at his all round game when he's a striker. Some of the best strikers in the world past and present offer little else but goals. There's plenty of world class strikers who'd come in this side and struggle.

I think what we should be looking at is the opportunities Lukaku has been given by his team mates.... Not many.

Falcao is a great example.

And that's a fair point. But he ain't doing himself much justice with how he looks off the ball.

We know strikers are fickle (more so than us lot!), a couple of goals and it will change him totally.

diego costa has cesc fabregas supplying him (don't have a equal here), hazard making runs and taking on 2 players (ross is injured, same with mirallas) or shurlle making runs (coleman injured). he's not a one man team. costa doesn't pass to himself, make a creative burst and touch to himself cross to himself and score. [/quoteYou've missed the point of why I used Costa. Follow the posts. You mentioned star players being marked out of games. I'm saying Costa does not allow this to happen. Rom does. Yet Rom is physically capable of putting any defender on their arse.

Not really, firstly Costa is on another planet to Lukaku, secondly Costa has all sorts of dangerous talent in and around him. This prevents opponents "doubling" up on him. It's very rare you'll find Costa isolated because if the creativity and movement of his teammates.

Hazard, Fabregas, Oscar

Mcgeady, Naismith, Pienaar

Not even comparable.

I know Haf likes analogies, so I'm going to try...

There is a Michelin Star (2 actually ) chef called Michael Caines. He has quite a big disadvantage being a chef, in that he has one hand. However, he can deliver stunning results. Why? Because he has people helping him out and shouldering the workload, he puts things together and finishes things off.

Lukaku does not have a good touch, and I maintain its not as bad as some make out. Still, despite this handicap he is capable of greatness, provided his team help give him a chance. Go ask Michael Caines to go into the garden, chop and carve his veg and deliver the finished product to the table flawlessly. He might do it occasionally but his results will drop because he is doing too much and is not able to concentrate on the main point - finishing to a high standard.

I agree he needs to start shouting for support, but why is it down to him? Manager needs to shoulder some stick here. This time last last year he got service and was scoring. This time he is being used as a target man. It's the same thing as Jelavic - give him a chance and he will bury it, ask him to drop deep or hold up play, he looks poor. If it was Moyes in charge, it would only be the manager getting an earful, asking to work the channels, asking to hold up play. But because Captain Charisma is in charge it's the players fault.

He was far from static today, he was making so many runs, jumping for balls and I'm not surprised he wasn't closing down the defenders because there was no one around him to back him up. He looked knackered at halftime because he had worked so hard, but no one was around to feed him or support him (Naismith occasionall) Our formation lately is meaning a gap of 20-30 yards between him and the midfielders!

The game at United today was a Moyes performance and that is not the strikers fault

Yeah, definitely. Martinez needs to play him in the middle with balls through to him. Sick of him being out wide just because he had a good game against Arsenal last season. He does need more support, he also needs to use that support properly. Too often he gives it away. And that's not prejudice, it's fact.

Before the 'pro Lukaku' bandwagon starts flaming me...I have no favourites in this team. I take each game as it comes. And he isn't doing it for me right now, today.

He has to take responsibility because it is affecting his performance.

ame="Newty82" post="430276" timestamp="1412518740"]

Not really, firstly Costa is on another planet to Lukaku, secondly Costa has all sorts of dangerous talent in and around him. This prevents opponents "doubling" up on him. It's very rare you'll find Costa isolated because if the creativity and movement of his teammates.

Hazard, Fabregas, Oscar

Mcgeady, Naismith, Pienaar

Not even comparable.

Again. Totally missing the point of why I used Costa. I'm not talking about the players around him.

I'm talking about Costa, as a single player, not allowing defenders to bully him. To mark him out of a game. He is aggressive and in your face. This was in response to 'star players being targeted out of games'. I'm not talking about his talent, only his aggression towards defenders. I'm trying to type this for the 3rd time in hope that it makes sense? If you follow posts, one after one, including quotes, it makes more sense than taking a comment on its own????

Again. Totally missing the point of why I used Costa. I'm not talking about the players around him.

I'm talking about Costa, as a single player, not allowing defenders to bully him. To mark him out of a game. He is aggressive and in your face. This was in response to 'star players being targeted out of games'. I'm not talking about his talent, only his aggression towards defenders. I'm trying to type this for the 3rd time in hope that it makes sense? If you follow posts, one after one, including quotes, it makes more sense than taking a comment on its own????

The bullying and arrogance will come with experience. Costas comes with experience and the fact he's a dick

The bullying and arrogance will come with experience. Costas comes with experience and the fact he's a dick

Hahaha...He is a dick for sure! But it helps him be a better player.

The experience thing. Well, ok. In the first 5 minutes against Utd today, I remember thinking that Lukaku looked like a boss. Control was sound. But more importantly, he was using his size, body, strength. He had his arms out holding McNair. I thought 'this is it today'. But it was McNair who took the plaudits at the end for doing a number on Lukaku. McNair is 19 with only a handful of Premiership starts. So where does the line get drawn with this experience thing?

Hahaha...He is a dick for sure! But it helps him be a better player.

The experience thing. Well, ok. In the first 5 minutes against Utd today, I remember thinking that Lukaku looked like a boss. Control was sound. But more importantly, he was using his size, body, strength. He had his arms out holding McNair. I thought 'this is it today'. But it was McNair who took the plaudits at the end for doing a number on Lukaku. McNair is 19 with only a handful of Premiership starts. So where does the line get drawn with this experience thing?

McNair got plaudits? Why? He didn't have much to do, which I'm sure people will jump on sayin "why didn't he have much to do"? Lukakus impressive start dropped off because he was the only one working in the final third. If McNair is getting plaudits for man-marking a tired, isolated player, I don't know what to say Edited by Matt

McNair got plaudits? Why? He didn't have much to do, which I'm sure people will jump on sayin "why didn't he have much to do"? Lukakus impressive start dropped off because he was the only one working in the final third. If McNair is getting plaudits for man-marking a tired, isolated player, I don't know what to say

But why is he tired???

At the end of the day, at the moment he needs to up his game. No ifs, buts, excuses. We say he doesn't get the service, but so many times this season he has given the ball away in the final 3rd with players around him. This is reflected in him having one of the lowest pass success rates in the team.

It is maybe a bit unfair to go too hard on him as the team is doing poorly. And possibly the expectation is higher due to his fee.

I want him to come good. Really really do. He's going to have to go on a real shit hot streak to be our 20 goal a season striker this season.

My issue is that people are saying he needs chances.

He should be putting himself onto positions to get on the end of them rather than waiting for someone to serve him something up.

Look at Eto and Naismith, they seem to look for opportunities to get on the end of things, Lukaku seems to be waiting for something to happen.

Again if he put the effort in I don't think he would get half the stick he gets.

If he is injured then maybe it's Rm to blame for sticking him on?

The defence for Lukaku is getting very "but, but, but". I'm sorry I'm not having it and I apportion the blame at Martinez if I'm honest. I seen what the lad was all about after 8 games and the world cup confirmed it.

His natural stamina and aggression is shite. His control and ability to pass the ball with authority is poor. His aerial ability is awful for a 6ft 4 striker.

It all points to a lad who has had it way too easy in his development years. Growing up and being 8 inches taller and 3 stone of muscle bigger than your peers makes the game very easy. The playing field has been levelled now.

At WBA in a poor team he was used as a last 40 minutes player due to his stamina. At the world cup it was evident that he is best used as an impact sub. I'm extremely disappointed that Martinez spent so heavily on the lad.

I'm hearing his touch was ok here, he made a few runs there. Nothing is done with authority! It's all very Victor anichebe. If it was Vic who put in the last two performances that Lukaku has done against two big rivals a fair few would be up in arms and you know it.

People need to stop looking at his all round game now. We know what he's about. People are asking him to be some sort of creative midfield player whilst scoring bags full. Unfortunately we haven't got that type of player they cost £60-£70m these days. The ball needs to be put into him infront of goal. He needs players buzzing in and around him. We just haven't got the creators in this side - pulling defenders away from him. Playing balls in behind, throwing crosses in. It's just not happening. Blame the service.

I bet his chance to goal ratio is decent.

The defence for Lukaku is getting very "but, but, but". I'm sorry I'm not having it and I apportion the blame at Martinez if I'm honest. I seen what the lad was all about after 8 games and the world cup confirmed it.

His natural stamina and aggression is shite. His control and ability to pass the ball with authority is poor. His aerial ability is awful for a 6ft 4 striker.

It all points to a lad who has had it way too easy in his development years. Growing up and being 8 inches taller and 3 stone of muscle bigger than your peers makes the game very easy. The playing field has been levelled now.

At WBA in a poor team he was used as a last 40 minutes player due to his stamina. At the world cup it was evident that he is best used as an impact sub. I'm extremely disappointed that Martinez spent so heavily on the lad.

I'm hearing his touch was ok here, he made a few runs there. Nothing is done with authority! It's all very Victor anichebe. If it was Vic who put in the last two performances that Lukaku has done against two big rivals a fair few would be up in arms and you know it.

The problem with Victor was his injuries and his ability to be on the floor moaning more than he was on his feet.

But why is he tired???

At the end of the day, at the moment he needs to up his game. No ifs, buts, excuses. We say he doesn't get the service, but so many times this season he has given the ball away in the final 3rd with players around him. This is reflected in him having one of the lowest pass success rates in the team.

It is maybe a bit unfair to go too hard on him as the team is doing poorly. And possibly the expectation is higher due to his fee.

I want him to come good. Really really do. He's going to have to go on a real shit hot streak to be our 20 goal a season striker this season.

I explained why he's tired :unsure:

This isn't just one week of him working for nothing, it's game in game out

But yes, again, he needs to improve. Just like every other player

Edited by Matt

"dear Michelangelo, please go and paint the Sistine Chapel again. Only trouble is, we've only got a 16 colour Crayola set. But we want the same results. Thanks!"

"dear Michelangelo, please go and paint the Sistine Chapel again. Only trouble is, we've only got a 16 colour Crayola set. But we want the same results. Thanks!"

I like an anology but is that one saying Lukaku is the equivalent to a set of crayons?

I'd probably agree, thick, cumbersome, overpriced, and can be found in an 8 year olds back pocket.

Edited by Hafnia

I explained why he's tired :unsure:

This isn't just one week of him working for nothing, it's game in game out

But yes, again, he needs to improve. Just like every other player

Oh did you? Sorry. Read it back...the final third thing, that's why? Not convinced to be honest.

I was dissapointed with his performance today considering Utd had a young CB and an Argentine LB that played as a CB. He should have 'bullied' them more personally. However, I still don't think we play to his strengths if I'm honest. When was the last time we saw Lukaku through clean on goal? Can't remember it because at the minute, we have no one in the team able to pick that pass out for him. His strength isn't playing with his back towards the goal, his strength is his pace and finishing. We're not giving him the opportunities at the moment to show those attributes. We're playing it to him in the channels and when his back is towards the goal - not his strengths. He should be running onto through balls down the middle. Not I'm comparing them, but look at Costa's goal today. Beautiful pass from Fabregas that put him through on goal and Bang, 2-0. We're not playing those types of balls to Lukaku to run on to. If we would, he would score a hell of a lot more. Maybe Barkley will address this? Not convinced though as his assists wasn't huge last year.

Edited by Geth

People need to stop looking at his all round game now. We know what he's about. People are asking him to be some sort of creative midfield player whilst scoring bags full. Unfortunately we haven't got that type of player they cost £60-£70m these days. The ball needs to be put into him infront of goal. He needs players buzzing in and around him. We just haven't got the creators in this side - pulling defenders away from him. Playing balls in behind, throwing crosses in. It's just not happening. Blame the service.

I bet his chance to goal ratio is decent.

15 shots in 7 games. 8 on target. 2 goals. It's not just the service.....

Naismith for example has 9 shots. 5 on target. 4 goals.

We've scored 13 league goals. Only 2 teams have scored more. It's not as if we haven't been creating anything going forward...well until the last 2.5 games.

Look at Costa (apologies to use him again! Just bare with me!). 19 shots. 16 on target. 9 goals. He's only had 4 shots more than Lukaku! Although Costas probably just going through a purple patch. You'll also probably say 'yeah well, Costas better, cost more, has better players around him etc etc'.

Ok. Fair enough. Let's look at Berahino at WBA. 16 shots. 10 on target. 5 goals.

I think the main point is, Lukaku is not being starved of service. He just isn't doing too well just now.

Nobody expects him to do all the jobs of a winger, attacking mid and the chef. Just to be the striker we expect him to be.

That's not being harsh or unrealistic or over critical. That's reality.

Like jags, Distin, Stones, Howard, Baines, Barry, Mccarthy have all been criticised for not doing their role properly...so to is Lukaku. Why is that so hard for some of you to understand? If I don't do my job properly, my Area Manager tells me so. Isn't that real life?

I'm sure he'll come good. We need him to. But at the moment, it's uncomfortable to say that many of Haf's points are starting to gain weight. And I don't like that.