IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Get the Chelski game out of the way and its a week break. I thought Rom played ok, the second goal summed up what I want from him. Be a beast.Ok,it was a foul but that's what we need

You won't say that when one comes off ;). Not as bad as Pienaar in that department anyway.

Thats fair enough, but the two he's attempted are when there is a man in the way and both times the team have counter attacked.

He needs to be smarter, for example Suarez and his nutmegs, he used to do them when going near the byline, and feigning to cross - if the defender read them right he would often still win a corner. Fact is the majority of the time he sold the defender, never seen any player get so many successful nutmegs.

Thats fair enough, but the two he's attempted are when there is a man in the way and both times the team have counter attacked.

He needs to be smarter, for example Suarez and his nutmegs, he used to do them when going near the byline, and feigning to cross - if the defender read them right he would often still win a corner. Fact is the majority of the time he sold the defender, never seen any player get so many successful nutmegs.

That will come with time though Haf

That will come with time though Haf

Yeah I would like to think so. I just worry about players who don't seem to learn from their errors - Barkley is another so its not just a Lukaku bashing thread.

The opposite of which would be McCarthy. Last season there were times when he stood off his man (Cabaye) - and we were punished. Already this season we have seen him become so much more decisive in his tackling and pressing.

Sometimes a players DNA just means that they will never learn - Yobo was the biggest example, the man just never learned that he could not switch off. One of the most frustrtating centre halves because he could have been very good.

Yeah I would like to think so. I just worry about players who don't seem to learn from their errors - Barkley is another so its not just a Lukaku bashing thread.

The opposite of which would be McCarthy. Last season there were times when he stood off his man (Cabaye) - and we were punished. Already this season we have seen him become so much more decisive in his tackling and pressing.

Sometimes a players DNA just means that they will never learn - Yobo was the biggest example, the man just never learned that he could not switch off. One of the most frustrtating centre halves because he could have been very good.

Are you forgetting Ramsey's goal?

Not just saying this for a reaction but I think lukaku has the worst touch as a striker in the premiership. It's as if he has led weights in his boots. Never has the ball under full control. Am really dissapointed with him to be honest.he lost us a goal again yesterday again with the ball bouncing back off him.

He's a very expensive signing, at this moment he looks a waste of money and I worry that he won't justify his tag.

What I did notice was at the end when he miscontrolled it up front he sat and held his big toe. I was livid, his big toe wasn't the reason he miscontrolled the ball to an opponent, on one occasion doing so which led to ramires goal.

He lacks 90 minutes, he lacks mental toughness.

Yeah but Lukaku has already proven himself in the PL. He is going to be massive for us. Trust me

He's proved he can score goals. Absolutely, i'm not disputing that. Tony Cottee could score goals.

At the moment he is one dimensional and can be marked out the game.

I think many people look at the things he can do and the goals he has scored. On my day I can get par's, birdies, strike a golf ball beautifully but i'm a 19 handicap golfer because I can't do it for a full round of golf and there are too many other aspects of the game where I lack (chipping, putting, course management).

Lukaku is in the same bracket. Its all very well getting the fans excited from moments of inspiration. He has to do the "normal" things far better.

I just hope you are right. I really do.

Guest blueboy122

I am clinging on to some of the forums more positive members thoughts on Lukaku as I fear that we will have spunked an awful lot of money on a very average player.

Lukaku is like Felliani... Great one game and then we don't see him for another 5.

He's proved he can score goals. Absolutely, i'm not disputing that. Tony Cottee could score goals.

At the moment he is one dimensional and can be marked out the game.

I think many people look at the things he can do and the goals he has scored. On my day I can get par's, birdies, strike a golf ball beautifully but i'm a 19 handicap golfer because I can't do it for a full round of golf and there are too many other aspects of the game where I lack (chipping, putting, course management).

Lukaku is in the same bracket. Its all very well getting the fans excited from moments of inspiration. He has to do the "normal" things far better.

I just hope you are right. I really do.

Yeah but Lukaku is a footballer not a golf player. And he is a striker, whos job is to score goals. And he is 21, a national in a belgian side that has the future at their feet and he will learn a lot from Etoo. He is going to make it.

Yeah but Lukaku is a footballer not a golf player. And he is a striker, whos job is to score goals. And he is 21, a national in a belgian side that has the future at their feet and he will learn a lot from Etoo. He is going to make it.

Not every footballer gets better after 21 - Owen, Fowler, Ronaldo (Brazil), not every international player in a good side is brilliant (Kleberson)

If he had the touch and technique and just relied on being smarter then I would be positive about him. Thierry Henry had all of this when at Monaco - ball control and skill along with pace and was played on the wing for this reason to beat full backs. At Italy he struggled because he lacked the "nouse" to outsmart the defences - not lack of technique or control.

It was at Arsenal he was taught the "art" of being a striker - not the art of control or skill, he already had that.

In short, if it was footballing intelligence I would not be worried about Lukaku, for me its that he lacks natural ability when it comes to looking after the ball and keeping hold of it.

That for me is the long and short of it, I hope to be proven very very wrong.

I think the thing was Lukaku is his potential.

It's right that it was a similar price to Costa and we should compare, but I'd argue he could end up being a better player.

Lukaku could go on to become unplayable.

Could...

again Frank Bruno had the potential to be an amazing boxer given his size and strength, but technically he was pants. That never stopped people saying "he's potentially unbeatable".

I don't disagree but his scoring record at such an early stage would indicate the level of ability he has (even if he cant trap a ball).

He will get better, of that I'm sure.

However, whether he goes on to become world class then who knows.

If I was a betting man I'd say probably not.