IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Please don't be condescending.

I stand by what I said: he's a great footballer.

Not being condescending. If someone had a great singing voice but couldn't really read music or play an instrument well - would you call them a great musician?

Personally I would call them a great singer. Not a great musician.

They can be the focal point to in a band, get all the plaudits, but that doesn't make them a musician.

If he signs new deal and we get an £80m buyout clause and we go and buy another striker then I'll be happy with that.

I want another striker that is a threat to him. If we get the version of Lukaku who plays with something to prove then that's a good thing. Plus we need someone to rotate or supplement him with.

Depends what your definition of footballer is.

For me Rom is a great footballer, he scores goals, creates chances, stretches defenses. What he does not have is great ball control which Bergkamp did have. But Technique is not the be all and end all of being a great footballer.

I agree. And for what it's worth, Rom is huge. For such a physically imposing athlete to move at the speed he does is impressive. The second goal after latching on to the stray back pass; I watched that step over a few times. He's made it his own and I love his confidence in 1 v 1 situations. His strong mentality is key to his play.

I used to be frustrated that I wasn't a fan of our striker; he just didn't play in a style I enjoyed. That has changed over the last two seasons, but especially this one. It's a majestic sight seeing him in full stride around the half way line, and even from there having the fans rise in anticipation of a goal. That's awesome. I'm just gonna enjoy it and leave this thread alone for a while, haha.

just curious bit can you (again?) define a great footballer in your eyes?

A "footballer" - to take a ball fired at him - anywhere on the pitch and using intelligence and technical ability can "play" his way around. movement, touch, running with the ball.

Pure definition of a footballer for me is iniesta. Best way to find a footballer? Play on a small pitch.

Pienaar, barkley, baines, osman, arteta, stones, schneiderlin are examples of our players or recent ones who are "footballers". They usually have the ability to play in a few positions because of the "footballing" ability.

Haf, my old mucker, are you not bored of having to constantly say the same thing?!!!

And I'm not being funny there either. Towards anyone.

I don't think I could maintain an 'argument', 'debate' as long as this.

I've skipped past the last couple of pages because all involved are repeating the same things.

Lukaku does have things to work on to become that ultimate elite striker that he craves to be. And that's from his manager. But as Evertonians, you just have to appreciate his goals and contribution around that area whilst also being honest about certain things he says at certain times of the year. Nothing wrong with that.

How much bandwidth does this topic use up for the forum? 80-90%?!!! Haha.

Haf, my old mucker, are you not bored of having to constantly say the same thing?!!!

And I'm not being funny there either. Towards anyone.

I don't think I could maintain an 'argument', 'debate' as long as this.

I've skipped past the last couple of pages because all involved are repeating the same things.

Lukaku does have things to work on to become that ultimate elite striker that he craves to be. And that's from his manager. But as Evertonians, you just have to appreciate his goals and contribution around that area whilst also being honest about certain things he says at certain times of the year. Nothing wrong with that.

How much bandwidth does this topic use up for the forum? 80-90%?!!! Haha.

I'll repeat it as often as I'm asked. The fact that I need not change anything says that I'm comfortable with how my opinions are formed but yeah - "great footballer".... I think my definition makes sense.

A "footballer" - to take a ball fired at him - anywhere on the pitch and using intelligence and technical ability can "play" his way around. movement, touch, running with the ball.

Pure definition of a footballer for me is iniesta. Best way to find a footballer? Play on a small pitch.

Pienaar, barkley, baines, osman, arteta, stones, schneiderlin are examples of our players or recent ones who are "footballers". They usually have the ability to play in a few positions because of the "footballing" ability.

None of these are striker unless you're expecting rom to do the job of a centre mid. What is a "great footballer" that players centre forward?

I'll repeat it as often as I'm asked. The fact that I need not change anything says that I'm comfortable with how my opinions are formed but yeah - "great footballer".... I think my definition makes sense.

What I said wasn't in regard to the "great footballer" post (hence I didn't quote it), more just the general posts in this thread over the last however long it is.

I'm sure you'll carry on regardless. As will everyone else!

He's not 'a great', that takes years and that accolade normally only comes about at the end of your career or after.

He's a very, very good footballer. One of the best in his field, in this league, possibly Europe, maybe the world.

I think he's 'great' but he isn't 'a great'. There's a difference.

He's on track to be a world class player IMO. Give him another 10 years playing consistently, getting better and at the top and he can be 'a great' footballer.

He's not 'a great', that takes years and that accolade normally only comes about at the end of your career or after.

He's a very, very good footballer. One of the best in his field, in this league, possibly Europe, maybe the world.

I think he's 'great' but he isn't 'a great'. There's a difference.

He's on track to be a world class player IMO. Give him another 10 years playing consistently, getting better and at the top and he can be 'a great' footballer.

I agree with this.

None of these are striker unless you're expecting rom to do the job of a centre mid. What is a "great footballer" that players centre forward?

Dennis Bergkamp, Wayne Rooney, Thierry Henry, Luis suarez, berbatov, cantona, zola, Di canio, gudjohnsen, ronaldo, larsson, David villa, del piero, Ibrahimovic, Dalglish, Beardsley, stoichkov, batistuta, van Basten,

Stick any of them- anywhere on the pitch - a ball zipped at them and expect them to control it and make a smart decision to move it on, look after it, pass/go.

Could go all day... they are pure footballers.

Was jamie carragher a great footballer? Or John Terry? No. Great defenders who knew how to stop players.... John stone - good footballer- dodgy defender.

Lukaku is not a great footballer - i doubt he ever will be. A great goalscorer yes.

To make it clear - Peter Beardsley is possibly the best footballer I've seen play up front for Everton followed by Rooney, Saha is probably after them. Beardsley wasn't a great goalscorer like Rom but Rom is not a patch on Beardsley as a footballer.

Edited by Hafnia

Jim white on talksport said earlier that talks would be ongoing this week with Lukaku and his representatives and the club. Make if that what you like.

Lukaku isn't the same player as Beardsley and shouldn't be compared to him imo he's more of a Van Nistelrooy type player with a bit of skill for those of an older age a Lineker. He's never gonna beat 3 players and slide a ball splitting pass thru 2 center halves he's gonna be the one on the end of it burying the chance!

As a pure out and out goalscorer there's not many better than him.

Jim white on talksport said earlier that talks would be ongoing this week with Lukaku and his representatives and the club. Make if that what you like.

Lukaku isn't the same player as Beardsley and shouldn't be compared to him imo he's more of a Van Nistelrooy type player with a bit of skill for those of an older age a Lineker. He's never gonna beat 3 players and slide a ball splitting pass thru 2 center halves he's gonna be the one on the end of it burying the chance!

As a pure out and out goalscorer there's not many better than him.

Not remember the FA cup goal against Chelsea? :lol:

Not remember the FA cup goal against Chelsea? :lol:

I seen Peter Reid bend in a beautiful left footer in 1985 that made him look like liam brady.... the reality is that he was a box to box midfielder.

We can use examples of players doing things that are great - Rom may score the odd goal like he did against chelsea. The reality is that he is not a dribbler He can go one to one and beat a man with a knock past and use pace - taking on a few players - no his feet arent quick enough.

This is the problem - people can't accept him for what he is. They have to make out that he's something far more to justify his hype.

He's a great goalscorer without being a very good footballer. Nothing wrong with that. Inzaghi, owen, huntelaar, jardel, Lineker, gomez. If he was a great footballer he would be worth the £90m plus no question.

Edited by Hafnia