IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

The article was interesting, but missed a fundermental point of football.

Scoring goals is one factor of football.

Can anyone remember the Pienaar debate?

Didn't get many assists, but anyone who watched Everton knew that he was the most important factor in most of our goals.

When Costa doesn't score, he still works for his team and causes trouble for the opposition. Other forwards do the same.

Lukaku struggles in this department at times. The last two matches are an example of this, and this is why to this date we haven't really had any offers for him.

But he is improving. Against Liverpool .... he was shit.

Against UTD, he worked hard for 70 mins and didn't have his teammates help him...ala Ross!

But AGAIN.... sigh.... both sides have very good points!

pienaar is a midfielder lukaku is a striker. comparing apples to oranges and looking for things that aren't there. we don't play a parked bus and counter that requires a striker that defends. we require a goal scoring striker. we have the best one in the league. end thread.

pienaar is a midfielder lukaku is a striker. comparing apples to oranges and looking for things that aren't there. we don't play a parked bus and counter that requires a striker that defends. we require a goal scoring striker. we have the best one in the league. end thread.

You've completely missed his point regarding Pienaar.

Dont end thread

Tut. Bloody dictators.

You completely missed the point there MJB.

If pienaar was judged on assists as an indicator of his value - he would have been dropped. The reality was that despite not getting the assists to his name he was a critical player for us going forward.

Pienaar enabled us to turn defence into attack time after time... Baines would get the ball - give it to pienaar and bomb on knowing full well he would look after it. Pienaar would either cut back and bring someone like Cahill in or return it to Baines. It's called putting in the hard yards.

To say that we don't need lukaku to defend is absolute bullshit. Did you not see Italy's goal against Belgium in the euros? He allowed the centre half all the time in the world to pick a pass straight out of defence to create a goal. Every player needs to defend - what we need lukaku to do is give the defence a tough time by working them - unsettling their structure, hold the ball up.

Are you saying it's ok for him to do what he did against Liverpool and the last 25 minutes or so against man United?

His inability to look after the ball meant we faced attack after attack. We were 2 on 2 when he gave the ball away in the 92nd minute that led to their goal.

Fortunately for him it wasn't a big game.... Not in the way that it was for John Barnes or ginola when they did something similar all those years ago..

Ever recall the unease you felt when Suarez hustled our defenders when they were on the ball? I do. Quite often he would win the ball of force an outball that went straight to a Liverpool player.

Edited by Hafnia

You completely missed the point there MJB.

If pienaar was judged on assists as an indicator of his value - he would have been dropped. The reality was that despite not getting the assists to his name he was a critical player for us going forward.

Pienaar enabled us to turn defence into attack time after time... Baines would get the ball - give it to pienaar and bomb on knowing full well he would look after it. Pienaar would either cut back and bring someone like Cahill in or return it to Baines. It's called putting in the hard yards.

To say that we don't need lukaku to defend is absolute bullshit. Did you not see Italy's goal against Belgium in the euros? He allowed the centre half all the time in the world to pick a pass straight out of defence to create a goal. Every player needs to defend - what we need lukaku to do is give the defence a tough time by working them - unsettling their structure, hold the ball up.

Are you saying it's ok for him to do what he did against Liverpool and the last 25 minutes or so against man United?

His inability to look after the ball meant we faced attack after attack. We were 2 on 2 when he gave the ball away in the 92nd minute that led to their goal.

Fortunately for him it wasn't a big game.... Not in the way that it was for John Barnes or ginola when they did something similar all those years ago..

Ever recall the unease you felt when Suarez hustled our defenders when they were on the ball? I do. Quite often he would win the ball of force an outball that went straight to a Liverpool player.

didn't miss any point. Pienaar isn't judged on assists. never has and never was. he's a midfielder they get judged on other things. Rom is a striker. Rom is judged on goals. He has the most.

didn't miss any point. Pienaar isn't judged on assists. never has and never was. he's a midfielder they get judged on other things. Rom is a striker. Rom is judged on goals. He has the most.

No... you said that Rom isn't a striker who needs to defend based on our style of play. Which is extremely odd. You are saying that we are a team who do not require a striker to work for the team? I'd go the other way and say the strikers need to defend from the front and provide an outlet to take pressure off - and retain the ball.

If you watched the game against Liverpool and witnessed his lack of challenging for any ball - as was the case in the last 25 minutes against you United you would be tactically blind not to conclude that his lack of work in this regard didn't cost us.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/phil-jagielka-everton-need-learn-12847133.amp

Jags makes it clear why we struggled

without naming names.

Interesting how good vatdy looks now that he's started working for the team again.... results aren't bad either eh.

Edited by Hafnia

i'm sorry haf, you've become the donald trump of this forum touting conspiracy theories and alt facts and eschewing the real facts. he's a class player, he's top scorer, he's a striker, he scores goals. no one gives a shit how many km he covers in a match when you're top scorer of the league.

You will have to explain why Daniel sturridge isnt getting a game at liverpool for me... one of the bedt goals per minutes in the league for years now...

Maybe his inability to do the things for the team that klopp wants is the reason..... well not may be.. it is.

It seems that a fair few blues are starting to realise the cost of lukakus goals....

Edited by Hafnia

Are lefties still butt hurt by Donald Trump to the point that it's now an insult to be called Donald Trump?!

That's fascinating. And quite funny.

Not the place for it but I definitely think he's a vile human being, so yeah I'd be insulted if someone referred to me as such. I generally don't think you grasp the weight and detriment of his character or appointment as president.

*that's not to say I think it's a clever analogy, but I get the point he was trying to make...

Edited by nutmegwolf203

Not the place for it but I definitely think he's a vile human being, so yeah I'd be insulted if someone referred to me as such. I generally don't think you grasp the weight and detriment of his character or appointment as president.

*that's not to say I think it's a clever analogy, but I get the point he was trying to make...

His point about conspiracy theories conveniently brushed over the fact that I have been told be 2 people closely affiliated with Everton that Coleman and lukaku do not get on.

Coleman by all accounts ts is not backwards in coming forward and can't stand the way lukaku acts like a diva.

By the way it wasn't "ground-breaking news".... it's just accepted as that's the way it is. They don't get on - move on.

Coleman by all accounts is a superb character - like a Roy Keane with a human side. It's all about the team. Big dunc loves him.

I'm not arsed if any of our players dislike their team mates. I don't need them to get on and go for facials together, I need them to win football games.

If it doesnt affect the team dynamic it's fine. However it does depend why they don't get on. If it is due to someone rocking the boat then it raises questions as to how close knit the squad is.

If it doesnt affect the team dynamic it's fine. However it does depend why they don't get on. If it is due to someone rocking the boat then it raises questions as to how close knit the squad is.

Well, we're doing well in the league and Rom seems to be involved in all the team stuff so it looks like they're quite close knit.

Brace so far. Getting closer to that Golden Boot.

His performance is closer to what i want from him as a standard template for how he plays. Forget the goals - he will score them all day. Great cross right on his bonce and a loose ball in the box - bread and butter.

It was his involvement and interplay that was much improved. The midfield were more effective because he was able to get the ball back to them. Makes the game so much easier.

I didn't think he was anything special today. For every good thing he did, he did something bad as well.

When he doesn't get the service their isn't much he can do but in a game like today where he was heavily involved I think he needed to show more from his all round game.

It's not a bad thing to have an ok game and end up with 2 goals though!

I didn't think he was anything special today. For every good thing he did, he did something bad as well.

When he doesn't get the service their isn't much he can do but in a game like today where he was heavily involved I think he needed to show more from his all round game.

agreed, he was hot and cold all game but all is forgiven because he essentially did his job

agreed, he was hot and cold all game but all is forgiven because he essentially did his job

He actually engaged with their defence.... He did the basics of holding up the ball, linking and there was some decent interplay.

I'm recognising it for being there as I'm quick to recognise when it isn't.

Blowing hot or cold is part of football.... not trying to do your job isn't. He got 2 goals into the bargain - never had to work for them but they were sharp finishes.

Yep, he wasn't any different to normal. Losing the odd ball, mis controling the odd ball, not jumping for the odd ball and not chasing down the odd ball but the 2 sniffs he gets at goal he scores 2 goals which is what we want him to do.

Yep, he wasn't any different to normal. Losing the odd ball, mis controling the odd ball, not jumping for the odd ball and not chasing down the odd ball but the 2 sniffs he gets at goal he scores 2 goals which is what we want him to do.

Yeh exactly. The difference today is that he had more opportunities because we were on the front foot and we could get some decent ball into him.

He actually engaged with their defence.... He did the basics of holding up the ball, linking and there was some decent interplay.

I'm recognising it for being there as I'm quick to recognise when it isn't.

Blowing hot or cold is part of football.... not trying to do your job isn't. He got 2 goals into the bargain - never had to work for them but they were sharp finishes.

to be honest, that's the type of performance I see most weeks