IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

It's certainly an made-up interesting stat. Although stats i'm used to are based on facts?

Date - Scored against - Number of goals

Sun 21st May - Arsenal - 1

Sat 15th April - Burnley - 1

Sun 9th April - Leicester - 2

Sat 25th March - Hull - 2

Sat 11th March - West Brom - 1

Sun 5th March - Spurs - 1

Sat 25th Feb - Sunderland - 1

That's only going back 13 games this season. Just so you know. CBA spending any more time proving that idiotic stat wrong any more.

I'll get the source of the quote. Ain't my stat.

Essentially the message is... the flip flops come in March.

Without going into the combined matches of the past to seasons leading up to the end of the season... I'm pretty sure it's shit.

Let me just get this right.... you think it's an achievement for a striker to have the second or 3rd highest assists in a side?

Ffs I've heard it all now.

Yeah I'd have expected someone like jagielka to have been up there....

He's a proper assist machine isn't he ... he makes suarez's 14 + assists in a season look poxy

You're comparing him to one of the best strikers in the world? Says a lot about how good he actually is.

Not comparing him.... putting him into perspective that he costs more but is not a patch on him.

Then why mention Suarez's assists when disputing Rom's assists? :dont know:

Cost is still irrelevant - it's decided by the market, not the actual ability of the player. I thought we killed this dispute 2 years ago!

As for the "aside from finishing, what does he bring to the table?" - I'd say 20%-ish of the goals the team scores via his assists is quite a bit. Also shows he can link up play too, though I won't pretend it's a strength of his.

I'll get the source of the quote. Ain't my stat.

Essentially the message is... the flip flops come in March.

Without going into the combined matches of the past to seasons leading up to the end of the season... I'm pretty sure it's shit.

No need mate, i've debunked it. On both accounts (also that in bold).

Then why mention Suarez's assists when disputing Rom's assists? :dont know:

Cost is still irrelevant - it's decided by the market, not the actual ability of the player. I thought we killed this dispute 2 years ago!

As for the "aside from finishing, what does he bring to the table?" - I'd say 20%-ish of the goals the team scores via his assists is quite a bit. Also shows he can link up play too, though I won't pretend it's a strength of his.

If someone wants to tell me that 5 to 8 assists a season is something special for a striker then I will put it into perspective.... quite frankly it isn't.

Lukaku has been made the focal point of the team and that's why he gets his goals... never gets dropped when he should, never gets subbed.

Really looking forward to watching him at old Trafford... it's potentially gonna be up there with David moyes in terms of disappointment for them.

Let me just get this right.... you think it's an achievement for a striker to have the second or 3rd highest assists in a side?

Ffs I've heard it all now.

Yeah I'd have expected someone like jagielka to have been up there....

He's a proper assist machine isn't he ... he makes suarez's 14 + assists in a season look poxy

No not really, but I'm not the one who's claiming all he does is finish.

That's a compliment from you considering the amount of shit you've posted all over this thread.

Nah I've expected our attacking midfielders and fullbacks to be up there. Look at the assist breakdown for Monaco this season...

Well going by that Higuain must be shit, after all he only had 4 assists in Seria A this year.

No not really, but I'm not the one who's claiming all he does is finish.

That's a compliment from you considering the amount of shit you've posted all over this thread.

Nah I've expected our attacking midfielders and fullbacks to be up there. Look at the assist breakdown for Monaco this season...

Well going by that Higuain must be shit, after all he only had 4 assists in Seria A this year.

Wait there....Who the fuck brought assists into it? You...

I've never been sold on assists as a stat. Pienaar prime example.

But since you did bring assists in I showed you that it's not a great stat to get carried away with for him.

As you were...

If someone wants to tell me that 5 to 8 assists a season is something special for a striker then I will put it into perspective.... quite frankly it isn't.

Lukaku has been made the focal point of the team and that's why he gets his goals... never gets dropped when he should, never gets subbed.

Really looking forward to watching him at old Trafford... it's potentially gonna be up there with David moyes in terms of disappointment for them.

Hang on... You're not talking about his assists though, right? You were arguing the price again? Or we're talking assists now? I'm confused....

Put this into perspective - he has single-handedly and consistently been responsible for assisting and scoring 60% (more or less) of our goals for 4 seasons running. That is cold, hard, indisputable fact. None of the "better footballers" you've championed ahead of our Everton striker over the years comes close to that.

Because he was the focal point? Certainly yes, and with good reason; as you acknowledge he's an excellent finisher. Even if he could hold the ball up better, no one else is close to his finishing ability over those 4 years. Maybe Mirallas, but he is so inconsistent or injured, it'd be a stretch. Do you really think we'd have scored as many as we did with the players we had supporting him?

Hasn't improved... Ok, to start with you lambasted him for being unfit, only good for impact sub. When he joined, this was true, he struggled. After a full season however, he was doing 90minutes a lot more comfortably - amazing what experience and game time can do. His control has improved, though it's still not good. Simple solution? Play to his strengths - after all, it's goals scored (and clean sheets, but that's not his job) that win games, not being able to trap a ball.

Honestly, your hatred of him blinds you. It's truly bizarre. And for anyone who thinks this thread is done, don't kid yourself. There's going to be plenty more nonsense to come...

Puts him 5th in the league. Not bad considering most the team couldn't finish a roast dinner.

Ibrahimovic who holds up the ball much better than Lukaku only got one more, as did Kane who's surrounded by goalscorers.

Edited by pete0

This is the one thing that annoys me about you in this thread.

It's not enough that Everton should be succesful in the post-Lukaku era, you also need him to fail.

Hang on... You're not talking about his assists though, right? You were arguing the price again? Or we're talking assists now? I'm confused....

Put this into perspective - he has single-handedly and consistently been responsible for assisting and scoring 60% (more or less) of our goals for 4 seasons running. That is cold, hard, indisputable fact. None of the "better footballers" you've championed ahead of our Everton striker over the years comes close to that.

Because he was the focal point? Certainly yes, and with good reason; as you acknowledge he's an excellent finisher. Even if he could hold the ball up better, no one else is close to his finishing ability over those 4 years. Maybe Mirallas, but he is so inconsistent or injured, it'd be a stretch. Do you really think we'd have scored as many as we did with the players we had supporting him?

Hasn't improved... Ok, to start with you lambasted him for being unfit, only good for impact sub. When he joined, this was true, he struggled. After a full season however, he was doing 90minutes a lot more comfortably - amazing what experience and game time can do. His control has improved, though it's still not good. Simple solution? Play to his strengths - after all, it's goals scored (and clean sheets, but that's not his job) that win games, not being able to trap a ball.

Honestly, your hatred of him blinds you. It's truly bizarre. And for anyone who thinks this thread is done, don't kid yourself. There's going to be plenty more nonsense to come...

Matt.... at this moment in time you are going through the anger stage. The denial has passed.... it's happening.

If I was the only Everton fan to have the views that I do then it would possibly appear that I'm on the wind up.....

But I'm not though am I? Far from it.

He has been our "eggs in one basket" player and has inflated glory stats. Simple as that.

Play to his strengths? Meaning don't expect him to control a football? Errr sorry Matt.... doesn't work mate. It's a bit like being expected to drive a car with no brakes.... it's a crash waiting to happen as we seen with that montage I posted.

Edited by Hafnia

This is the one thing that annoys me about you in this thread.

It's not enough that Everton should be succesful in the post-Lukaku era, you also need him to fail.

Sorry? It annoys you that a player who hasn't shut the fuck up about leaving for a "bigger club" from day 1... who constantly disrespected the club when away on international duty is the victim of me wanting him to fail at United?

Oh I'm sorry...

Yes tally no old boy... be sure to bang in a hat trick against us and dontbworfybabout disrespecting us further in your impending interviews.... good old evertoniams will let you off cos you are better than Brett angel.

Matt.... at this moment in time you are going through the anger stage. The denial has passed.... it's happening.

If I was the only Everton fan to have the views that I do then it would possibly appear that I'm on the wind up.....

But I'm not though am I? Far from it.

He has been our "eggs in one basket" player and has inflated glory stats. Simple as that.

Play to his strengths? Meaning don't expect him to control a football? Errr sorry Matt.... doesn't work mate. It's a bit like being expected to drive a car with no brakes.... it's a crash waiting to happen as we seen with that montage I posted.

Anger at what? I've said goodbye (twice I think) thanking him for the goals and cash. No anger from me, think you're confusing your feelings with mine.

And the montage I showed, the one 7 times longer showing a variety of goals that destroys several arguments (which I'm not going into), is why he will succeed. Well, probably. It's all speculation going forward. Even if he doesn't, I won't care because he won't be our player. But while he has been our player, I've supported him - warts and all - instead of searching for and clinging to any short-coming I could find.

edit: oh, and it does work. His records show that ;)

Edited by Matt

I've appreciated his goals at times yeah, but have never taken to him, he's just not Everton. I actually couldn't even say I wish him well because he's just been a fucking nuisance and it seems people are just defending him for the sake of it now, Haf's opinions on his game are hardly that controversial outside of the club, the overall response from Man U fans I know has been underwhelming in the extreme, they expected better.

Its like we've got some kind of collective inferiority complex.

Anger at what? I've said goodbye (twice I think) thanking him for the goals and cash. No anger from me, think you're confusing your feelings with mine.

And the montage I showed, the one 7 times longer showing a variety of goals that destroys several arguments (which I'm not going into), is why he will succeed. Well, probably. It's all speculation going forward. Even if he doesn't, I won't care because he won't be our player. But while he has been our player, I've supported him - warts and all - instead of searching for and clinging to any short-coming I could find.

edit: oh, and it does work. His records show that ;)

Really... you are saying it's not a problem that a player can't be trusted to control a pass?

I think in this day and age it's huge. Just look at some of the goals we've conceded because he simply can't look after the ball.

I've appreciated his goals at times yeah, but have never taken to him, he's just not Everton. I actually couldn't even say I wish him well because he's just been a fucking nuisance and it seems people are just defending him for the sake of it now, Haf's opinions on his game are hardly that controversial outside of the club, the overall response from Man U fans I know has been underwhelming in the extreme, they expected better.

Unreal isn't it.

Yes tally no old boy... be sure to bang in a hat trick against us and dontbworfybabout disrespecting us further in your impending interviews.... good old evertoniams will let you off cos you are better than Brett angel.

I want him as an individual player to succeed at his new club; I obviously don't want his club to succeed when they play us..

this being ManU, I don't want his club to succeed when playing against anyone tbh.. but just like with Fellaini or Stones (even Lescott) etc. I still look up stats of former Everton players hoping they are doing well at their new club.

Really... you are saying it's not a problem that a player can't be trusted to control a pass?

I think in this day and age it's huge. Just look at some of the goals we've conceded because he simply can't look after the ball.

He should do better. I don't know how many times I have to say this, but I celebrate his strengths whilst accepting his weakness need to improve (which they have, just not as much as we would like).

You, on the other hand, undermine his strengths by concentrating on his weaknesses at any given opportunity, even when the discussion isn't about him.

So? Whilst a player plays in our shirt, you should support them in my opinion. Some criticism / frustration is natural, with regards to Rom (Kone and Robles too) it's been so OTT and factually inaccurate. That's the only reason I've argued as much as I have.

To be honest, I don't think he makes my top 10, let alone top 5 favourite players. Probably why I'm so "meh" about him leaving. I'd love to see him stay and bag another 20+ goals, but since we're actually getting in better (though unproven in Klaassen and Sandro) support players and more goalscorers, instead of rumours like we've had in previous windows, then I'm not worried. I was a couple of months ago, because I had no faith we'd actually spend like we have done. The past 4 weeks give me hope we'll be able to replace the goals and assists.

Edited by Matt

I want him as an individual player to succeed at his new club; I obviously don't want his club to succeed when they play us..

this being ManU, I don't want his club to succeed when playing against anyone tbh.. but just like with Fellaini or Stones (even Lescott) etc. I still look up stats of former Everton players hoping they are doing well at their new club.

What?!

Lescott effectively went on strike to force a move.

Give stones and Fellaini their due- they shut up and let the club's sort the stuff out.

Lukaku has been talking up a move whilst under contract...called into question the club's ambition when we are spending money...downed tools against Liverpool.

Sorry not having it.

So? Whilst a player plays in our shirt, you should support them in my opinion. Some criticism / frustration is natural, with regards to Rom (Kone and Robles too) it's been so OTT and factually inaccurate. That's the only reason I've argued as much as I have.

You're keeping two sets of books there Matt, when a player is being paid handsomely to play in our shirt he can show the club and the people who will be there long after he has gone some respect. There has been nothing factually incorrect about his constant wantaway antics, they came from his own mouth.

You're keeping two sets of books there Matt, when a player is being paid handsomely to play in our shirt he can show the club and the people who will be there long after he has gone some respect. There has been nothing factually incorrect about his constant wantaway antics, they came from his own mouth.

I've been very consistent in my opinion and support of him :dont know: