IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

Watching U.S open, the course looks an absolute card wrecker! So tough.

Got money on mickleson, matsuyama and day. I think 7 under over 3 days could win it.

Odds on Tiger making 100+ :P?

Not seen it at all but was listening to some "expert" (can't remember who) on the radio saying it was the US trying to create a links course when they just don't have the conditions for it.

Odds on Tiger making 100+ :P?

Not seen it at all but was listening to some "expert" (can't remember who) on the radio saying it was the US trying to create a links course when they just don't have the conditions for it.

i think they had the odds on tiger at 120-. sad, he just isn't what he used to be. glad the young guys are coming up, mcilroy, fowler, etc. good for them.

i think they had the odds on tiger at 120-. sad, he just isn't what he used to be. glad the young guys are coming up, mcilroy, fowler, etc. good for them.

You misunderstood, I was just wondering (as it's a "card wrecker") if he would shoot 100+ for a round after his recent 85 on one of his historically favourite courses :).

Personally not remotely sad at his downfall; he's just one of those sportspeople that I've never warmed to and always wanted to lose (these people come in all nationalities and colours btw so nothing to do with either of those). Nasty character which no amount of talent will ever make up for.

You misunderstood, I was just wondering (as it's a "card wrecker") if he would shoot 100+ for a round after his recent 85 on one of his historically favourite courses :).

Personally not remotely sad at his downfall; he's just one of those sportspeople that I've never warmed to and always wanted to lose (these people come in all nationalities and colours btw so nothing to do with either of those). Nasty character which no amount of talent will ever make up for.

Agree with you, Mike. I've never been a fan of his. He seems to have an heir of arrogance about him.

What a player in his day though Mike, absolutely wonderful golfer. He was just like a machine and so fluent. Every part of his game was world class.

What a player in his day though Mike, absolutely wonderful golfer. He was just like a machine and so fluent. Every part of his game was world class.

No doubt about that. But I'm delighted that he'll not beat Nicklaus for major wins because he was equally as good (if not better) and a really nice guy, along with others with arguably slightly less genius (eg Watson, Player, Ballesteros & my personal favourite, Lee Trevino).

For me the only thing that seperated Tiger from other golfers was his arrogance - he used strong mentality to "bully" his peers, no one dare wear red on last day etc etc, he never spoke to anyone other than Mark Omeara - in short he behaved like an obnoxious brat.

Was he good? yes, very very good at his best. Is he the best ever? No. Jack Nicklaus had more instense competition in Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, Johnny Miller, Lee Trevino. Tiger knew he had to use his mentality to dominate, at the expense of being a decent person too.

For me in terms of best golfers ever:-

Ben Hogan

Jack Nicklaus

Bobby Jones

Sam Snead

Tiger Woods

Tom Watson

Seve Ballesteros

Greg Norman

For me he hasn't even got anywhere near the best swing on tour, I personally think Adam Scott has had that for the past 10 years and Rory is up there with him now. In terms of the best ball striker I have seen in my life time - thats easy Greg Norman, hit it like everyone wants to see it hit - none of this swing easy and getting into this position, that swing plane, etc etc, he swung it like a beast.

From a UK perspective watch out for Danny Willet, I think he is a potential name for a major.

Edited by Hafnia

Will be rooting for Jason Day in the US open. Joint leader and I got 41/1 on him at the start, stuck £10 e/w on him. £500 if he comes first £100 if finish top 6.

Apart from that the courage he's shown is amazing.

Yeah, good luck to him (and you).

yes mike i have just seen this, very sad. the american baseball player mike piazza who was the last hope to buy them (and said he would) bailed. from his apology and explanation it seems the club is so corrupt it wouldn't be worth purchasing. which makes one think if you buy it can't you fire everyone and put together a decent staff? maybe he didn't want to go through all the trouble.

good news for brescia though! relegated to third division but now since parma is out of the 2nd divison they have been reinstated! i bet they are super happy!

Wow. All it would have taken is £22m.

That would be perfect for one of the PL teams to buy out as an affiliated club and be a great medium for sending young academy players to a foreign league to gain new experiences.

It was that plus over 100m Euro's to "others". So not a bargain in any way, shape or form.

Does the stadium gifted to West Ham fall under FFP rules?

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9374702/londons-real-olympic-legacy-paying-to-build-the-stadium-twice/

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33214058

Quote: "West Ham paid the same amount for the Olympic Stadium as they did for striker Andy Carroll."

Edited by Cornish Steve

Golf is one of those games where it is better (at amateur level) to be lucky than good. I have played golf for nearly 50 years and have never had a hole in one, even though I had a good iron game and hit par 3 greens 9 times out of 10. Years ago, a guy I worked with decided to have a go at golf. He went to the driving range several times and then I took him out for his first round on a proper course. After the round I said to him 'you will have no problems, you are a lucky player'. During the round he sliced into the trees and came out into the fairway, thinned shots and bounced over bunkers. Went into trees and had a clear shot out. Three weeks later he had a hole in one.