IGNORED

Aiden McGeady

• 3 weeks later...

McGeady played on left side in first half today v. England. Played well, 2 good crosses, 2 good corners, important defensive track-back. Don't know why he seems to play so much better for Ireland than for Everton, but he's got some talent, pace, dribbling, effort.

Now playing on right side in second half, in front of Coleman. Just made another excellent track-back tackle. If he's healthy, he provides good depth on both wings.

Ah ...... but just now, with a good chance at a shot on a rebound off save, couldn't control it. So, he's played quite well, but then at that key moment, failed.

This is perfect.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/12/aiden-mcgeady-ireland-scotland?CMP=share_btn_tw

My views on him entirely.

Haf don't read it, its laced with an opinion based on reality.

Reality ain't enough to form opinion in every case. Sometimes it takes belief. This lad was sat in the same rowing boat as kone when he arrived here. He wasn't afforded the cruise liner like some.

I think that can apply to most Martinez signings bar mccarthy on a consistent basis Matt. Some have had more games than others to soften out the really poor games I would say.

Can't argue with that mate. I was supportive of Kone to start, I thought he could be a reasonable stand in. McGeady, at first, but he had a longer time to prove himself but, as the article eludes to, he had chances and never fulfilled his promise. A lot of showboating and no real end product. Hoping they prove everyone wrong next season, but I'm not holding my breath

I don't like the Irish medias attitude towards the lad, the same as I don't like their attitude towards mccarthy and isn't it funny that they are both Scots by right?

Mcgeady is a potential match winner. Very good technical ability and seems to have the same issues as Barkley without age as an excuse.

Frustrating thing about McGeady is that we know he can beat a player....why doesn't he?

I watch him and think to myself you know you can if you could just be arsed....then he'll sprint back and help out the defense.

Put that effort in their last third and you could actually make a difference.

I would give him till January to show something...then move on. We can't keep waiting for these players to fulfil promise...at that age, if your not doing it then it's your own fault.

Reference here to McGeady's ongoing hamstring problem, and uncertainty about whether he'll play today v. Scotland.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/12/robbie-keane-cousin-dies-sewer-republic-of-ireland-scotland

Hope McGeady can play and isn't seriously hampered by hamstring problem. Also curious to see whether he plays on left, right, or both (or neither....). For, given major uncertainties just now about Mirallas and Pienaar, we have to assume McGeady might feature prominently next season on wing. It's even more irritating if we lose Garbutt permanently, as he seems one who could play LM as well as LB.

• 3 weeks later...