IGNORED

Aiden McGeady

I'm abit torn on him going at £1m I've backed him to a point "ala Kone" but he's simply not delivered no pun intended....

But £1m seems so little for a player that has more ability than most in the SPL and would be worth more than that to a Championship side if any where interested that is especially having a few years on his contract left

Like it or not, when he is on the pitch he gives us width and balance as opposed to Osman, Barkley, Kone, Naismith who have been used there - the reason being, wait for it...."Hes actually a fucking winger!!!"

Now there ain't much I can do to eradicate the brain washing that he's the worst winger that we've had since Robert warzycha or preki, but he is worth more than £1m ffs and he is no where as bad as made out, I actually see a player there.

Personally I would use him as an option off the bench versus tiring legs. He takes men on, all the aforementioned do not.

Noneof those are natural wingers though . More I think about it, MC has a good point.

and i get that, my point is we have so much dead wood in the midfield, we don't need to add bodies, we need to subtract them. but roberto wont, all of them except naisy contracts run out after this year so he's keeping them, which means we won't get a mcgeady replacement, can't afford it. especially since we still need a 10, CB, and young backup RB.

and i get that, my point is we have so much dead wood in the midfield, we don't need to add bodies, we need to subtract them. but roberto wont, all of them except naisy contracts run out after this year so he's keeping them, which means we won't get a mcgeady replacement, can't afford it. especially since we still need a 10, CB, and young backup RB.

Exacty and that is what he's saying. We can't really afford to sell him for a million because it'll cost us more to buy a new natural winger to replace him. Sell him for one mill spend what to get a replacement?

We may as well keep him now he's here.

Exacty and that is what he's saying. We can't really afford to sell him for a million because it'll cost us more to buy a new natural winger to replace him. Sell him for one mill spend what to get a replacement?

We may as well keep him now he's here.

i just don't think he'll make the bench pad. well have GK (robles), CB (new), D (garbutt/galloway/browning), Besic, Osman, Naisy, Kone

that's omitting gibson, pienaar, barkley (if we sign a 10). I just don't see who he's beating on that bench. 1m could help us pay someones wages, and honestly it would be better for him to play where he can start and rejuvenate his career.

Out of the 15 players we have either in midfield or class as a forward we have 5 wide players.... Mirallas, Pienaar, Oviedo, McGeady, Gerry

Of those 5 only 2 can realistically be considered first team starters - that is Mirallas and Gerry. leaving Oviedo, Pienaar and McGeady next options.....

In short we are desperately short of width - selling a back up player for £1m is stupid. Especially considering that if he does find form he is a talented player.

Out of the 15 players we have either in midfield or class as a forward we have 5 wide players.... Mirallas, Pienaar, Oviedo, McGeady, Gerry

Of those 5 only 2 can realistically be considered first team starters - that is Mirallas and Gerry. leaving Oviedo, Pienaar and McGeady next options.....

In short we are desperately short of width - selling a back up player for £1m is stupid. Especially considering that if he does find form he is a talented player.

he turned in a transfer request. i would rather sell him than have him be pissed and not want to play for us.

For 3 mil, all day long, put 2 or 3 to it and get Lennon in and I'm happy. Will Lennon come in to warm our bench though? Prob not.

I agree with this sentiment mostly. Lennon won't be warming the bench though. He would rotate with our other wingers, and he would be used against teams where we need to win in the trenches, as he offers something different than Mirallas or Deulofeu. He would get plenty of time on the pitch. It's not like he would make less than 20 appearances.

I agree with this sentiment mostly. Lennon won't be warming the bench though. He would rotate with our other wingers, and he would be used against teams where we need to win in the trenches, as he offers something different than Mirallas or Deulofeu. He would get plenty of time on the pitch. It's not like he would make less than 20 appearances.

plus we still don't have a 10. part of the mirallas signing a new deal could be you can be the 10. so lennon would be starting. i know kev liked playing there the couple times he did this season.

plus we still don't have a 10. part of the mirallas signing a new deal could be you can be the 10. so lennon would be starting. i know kev liked playing there the couple times he did this season.

I would honestly hate to see Mirallas as our number 10. Tactically, it could work if we were playing a strictly counter-attacking game. But, he's not got the brain for that role in our style of play.

On the other hand, if we played him further back he might find himself offside less often!

I really don't get the obsession with trying to sign wingers. We saw what happened last season when we tried to play with 2 real wingers and we were appalling. Not only because they constantly ran into a corner and lost a ball, but mostly because they handicapped Coleman and Baines.

We need quick feet, killer pass players to link up play, not 1 trick ponies who try to outrun their opposition.

McGeady can go and doesn't have to be replaced with another winger, but he does have to be replaced.

I really don't get the obsession with trying to sign wingers. We saw what happened last season when we tried to play with 2 real wingers and we were appalling. Not only because they constantly ran into a corner and lost a ball, but mostly because they handicapped Coleman and Baines.

We need quick feet, killer pass players to link up play, not 1 trick ponies who try to outrun their opposition.

McGeady can go and doesn't have to be replaced with another winger, but he does have to be replaced.

we need wide players Matt - no two ways about it call them wingers, wide men or whatever. Our lack of width meant the opposition were able to press on Baines and Coleman - we need players who are comfortable receiving a ball near the touchline and can operate with chalk on their boots, not just staying out there and looking to move inwards.

If we get players who can give us that width it generates a greater space between the opponents back 4 which we need with one striker.

Martinez was slated for stating he wanted mcgeady to occupy himself in the opponents half where the fullback should be and I agree - it puts doubt in their mind, when you have a wide threat defences think twice. The same as Rooney not dropping deep for united - he was stopping the centre halves from pushing out, he seen less of the ball but helped the team.

I understand what you're saying.

Better for us (if emphasis truly is on our over-lapping fullbacks) is to have 3 truly interchangeable attacking midfielders.

Creates more freedom for the attackers and also allows players to 'float' more.

They keep the ball moving anyway, so it's up to them to draw the opposition fullback inside, to allow room on the overlap. If that's the case, you're right, we don't need traditional wingers, but we definitely need people who can play that way.

Also gives Rom more service on the floor, limits crossing to pretty much the fullbacks.

The only time this DOESN't work. Is against better opposition, where the full back is on the backfoot and unable to aid the attack. Leaving the guy up to with NO service from the air. (and what Haf said to a degree).

Edited by tenaciousj

we need wide players Matt - no two ways about it call them wingers, wide men or whatever. Our lack of width meant the opposition were able to press on Baines and Coleman - we need players who are comfortable receiving a ball near the touchline and can operate with chalk on their boots, not just staying out there and looking to move inwards.

If we get players who can give us that width it generates a greater space between the opponents back 4 which we need with one striker.

Martinez was slated for stating he wanted mcgeady to occupy himself in the opponents half where the fullback should be and I agree - it puts doubt in their mind, when you have a wide threat defences think twice. The same as Rooney not dropping deep for united - he was stopping the centre halves from pushing out, he seen less of the ball but helped the team.

Width, exactly. Thats not necessarily a winger though. I'll rephase a bit... We don't need that pacy, tricksy little hobbit to play out wide, we need someone comfortable on the ball to link up play.

I understand what you're saying.

Better for us (if emphasis truly is on our over-lapping fullbacks) is to have 3 truly interchangeable attacking midfielders.

Creates more freedom for the attackers and also allows players to 'float' more.

They keep the ball moving anyway, so it's up to them to draw the opposition fullback inside, to allow room on the overlap. If that's the case, you're right, we don't need traditional wingers, but we definitely need people who can play that way.

Also gives Rom more service on the floor, limits crossing to pretty much the fullbacks.

The only time this DOESN't work. Is against better opposition, where the full back is on the backfoot and unable to aid the attack. Leaving the guy up to with NO service from the air. (and what Haf said to a degree).

Exactly.

The better teams put the FB under pressure, but since our wingers don't track back most of the time anyway thats always going to be the case, regardless of the oppositions ability.

I think the reason osman works surprisingly well despite having none of the attributes you would associate with a wide player is the same as pienaar - they have the balance and equal footing to go either side with both feet. It opens up the pitch as J said above.

Pace. skill and ability to carry the ball either foot = ££££