IGNORED

Aiden McGeady

I certainly don't expect every player to be consistently brilliant. Neither do I expect every player to even be appropriate to play every game. For me, the squad is like a toolbox. Some tools are general-purpose, and they can be used all the time. Others are more specialized, and they work best in specific situations. Same with players: Against some styles of play, McGeady will be excellent; against others, he will not come across well. It's for the manager to determine how best to approach each job. As long as McGeady puts his particular skills to best use and meets his responsibilties, that's fine with me. He's definitely worth his fee.

And, by drawing this analogy, I don't mean to imply that McGeady is a tool. :)

Top players are consistent. Teams with good consistent players usually win stuff.

I'm not talking about having the odd shit game. (That happens to everyone) However I am talking about 90% of the time doing absolutely nothing and the other 10% of the time scoring a worldy.

Those type of players belong on the bench as impact players. Mcgeady for me is not industrious enough to even warrant the applause he getting here.

The "told you so" is far too early.

People are comparing McGeady to Naismith saying nobody gave him a chance either, but, the difference between them is that when I watched Naismith play he always impressed me, his ball control, his passing, his work rate. This was from a player who was playing out of position. Now he has come into his own by playing behind the striker OR alongside. He is showing his worth. I always believed in Naismith's ability as a player.

The difference with McGeady is I haven't seen anything from him that has made me think otherwise. Like I said with Naismith there was glimmers of a player coming out but needed the right guidance and Martinez has done well with him. McGeady is playing in his favoured position but like I said he doesn't seem to track back, tries to take on defenders instead of passing and 80% of the time loses the ball. He is a good passer off the ball though.

Anyway, Naismith and McGeady are totally different situations. One player was playing out of position and is now playing in a more favourable one. The other is playing in his position. Don't get me wrong I don't think McGeady is a bad player not at all, but I don't think he is as good as people are making out.

Top players are consistent. Teams with good consistent players usually win stuff.

I'm not talking about having the odd shit game. (That happens to everyone) However I am talking about 90% of the time doing absolutely nothing and the other 10% of the time scoring a worldy.

Those type of players belong on the bench as impact players. Mcgeady for me is not industrious enough to even warrant the applause he getting here.

The "told you so" is far too early.

You talking about Mirallas there, or McGeady?

People are comparing McGeady to Naismith saying nobody gave him a chance either, but, the difference between them is that when I watched Naismith play he always impressed me, his ball control, his passing, his work rate. This was from a player who was playing out of position. Now he has come into his own by playing behind the striker OR alongside. He is showing his worth. I always believed in Naismith's ability as a player.

The difference with McGeady is I haven't seen anything from him that has made me think otherwise. Like I said with Naismith there was glimmers of a player coming out but needed the right guidance and Martinez has done well with him. McGeady is playing in his favoured position but like I said he doesn't seem to track back, tries to take on defenders instead of passing and 80% of the time loses the ball. He is a good passer off the ball though.

Anyway, Naismith and McGeady are totally different situations. One player was playing out of position and is now playing in a more favourable one. The other is playing in his position. Don't get me wrong I don't think McGeady is a bad player not at all, but I don't think he is as good as people are making out.

How can someone be a good passer off the ball, surely you need the ball if your going to pass it? :huh:

When people say Mirallas is Inconsistent they mean he's not firing on full cylinders. However he's always involved in games.

McGeady on the other hand goes missing.

Not in his first season, he was incredibly erratic. Last season he followed up on his promise to raise his consistency (mostly) but in the beginning he was just the same as McGeady. Hopefully Aiden can follow in his footsteps :)

McGeady is a player of the ilk of Davie Cooper, most young scottish wingers coming through have the unenviable tag of being the next Davie Cooper. Mcfadden was compared by Moyes to Cooper. The thing is Cooper was a legend who had the crowd buzzing when he got the ball as he would often try and succeed in using skill to beat his man.

You want players who take on defenders, its one of the best things in the game. Remember the days when Rooney used to do it? John Barnes did it before his achilles injury, Gazza at his best would take them on. We have 2 players in Mcgeady and Mirallas who can do this - Ross Barkley does this. Lets enjoy them.

You want players who take on defenders, its one of the best things in the game. Remember the days when Rooney used to do it? John Barnes did it before his achilles injury, Gazza at his best would take them on. We have 2 players in Mcgeady and Mirallas who can do this - Ross Barkley does this. Lets enjoy them.

This!

McGeady is a player of the ilk of Davie Cooper, most young scottish wingers coming through have the unenviable tag of being the next Davie Cooper. Mcfadden was compared by Moyes to Cooper. The thing is Cooper was a legend who had the crowd buzzing when he got the ball as he would often try and succeed in using skill to beat his man.

End product

Not in his first season, he was incredibly erratic. Last season he followed up on his promise to raise his consistency (mostly) but in the beginning he was just the same as McGeady. Hopefully Aiden can follow in his footsteps :)

Mirallas first season he had injury problems. You could see even then he was a top class player. He put in a fantastic performance in the Goodison Derby before he got injured.

Mcgeady has yet to reach anywhere near that level of performance.

End product

The 3 goals he has scored this season including the two for his country, the through ball for Naismith is definately end product IMO.

We can be picky and look at times where Mirallas has lacked end product but I don't want to send you into a meltdown by being balanced. Mirallas is a good player, no one is disputing that with you, but you do go on about him as though he is Christiano Ronaldo.

If mirallas had scored that goal against Leicester or played that through ball to naismith you would have been overjoyed. Like Matt said, lets give McGeady the time to get fully settled in to the team.

Mirallas first season he had injury problems. You could see even then he was a top class player. He put in a fantastic performance in the Goodison Derby before he got injured.

Mcgeady has yet to reach anywhere near that level of performance.

McGeady has had fitness issues as well and still hasnt had a full season under his belt for 2 years. I can see a top class player in McGeady, and I'm having to eat my words a little because years ago, when we were first linked, I was not keen. The similarities of the both starts to their respective Everton careers is remarkable!

McGeady has had fitness issues as well and still hasnt had a full season under his belt for 2 years. I can see a top class player in McGeady, and I'm having to eat my words a little because years ago, when we were first linked, I was not keen. The similarities of the both starts to their respective Everton careers is remarkable!

Mirallas is far more direct with a more "greedy" mindset. There have been times where his greed has seen him score wonder goals like the one against Spurs - there were 2 unmarked players in the box but he did put it away. But there have been times where he takes the greedy option and it doesn't come off.

Pros and cons. Mcgeady can make it look ridiculously easy to beat a man from a standing start with quick feet, Mirallas looks better running at pace.

• 1 month later...

For the life of me I don't see what this fella brings to the team , he beats himself half the time , I still hasn't seen him take a man on down the line an beat him ala Dave Thomas Kancheskis ect , you know exactly what he is going to do with a little flick through his own legs that either hits his standing leg an goes out of play or he runs into the defender and we loose the ball , his passing is dreadful and last night was no expection I thought him and pienaar were passengers in the starting line up but it angers me that either of these two get a shirt in the starting eleven , maybe am not seeing what roberto sees

He just doesnt do the job he is there to do. We have seen that he does have the ability but he just doesnt beat the man in front of him enough and then when he does he cocks it up. He isnt all bad but he isnt consistent enough and most of the time he either doesnt get involved or you wish he hadnt of been involved, which is pretty much how I viewed him before he came.

If you compare him to McManaman that Martinez had at Wigan, they are both there to do very similar jobs, but despite McGeady probably being the better all round player McManaman was able to deliver quality far more regularly.

He offers no danger onto the opposition or end product. You can't even say he's inconsistent because he very rarely does anything affective.

He has his moments. He played well enough in the Utd game and also had his moments in the first game against Leicester. He came off the bench and created a couple of goals at the end of last season too so its not like he is completely crap, he is just really fucking annoying.

I don't think he's as bad as people make put, against Lille he was OK. Had a few good moments and a few bad moments.

I do agree that he just isn't effective enough. He looks like he has a bit of pace and has the feet to go past most defenders, but for some reason he doesn't?

It's the end product that needs tidying up. He leaves opponents for dead, ties them in knots, ties himself in knots and then wastes the ball. Not every time, but it seems to be the pattern.

It's a shame because I like this sort of 'up and at em' player. I hope he comes good because we could do with what he potentially could bring.