IGNORED

Aiden McGeady

https://twitter.com/CelticChuck67/status/424623162848845824/photo/1

Almost 41 years to the day since his dad was contacted by Everton too.

Lol late again Louis!

@prenno Look who tried to sign Aiden McGeady's arl fella 40 years ago! pic.twitter.com/GDO4WQysiL

Well I didnt know that!

Also, these Youtube clips look good and our Irish users like him too. I'm beginning to feel optimistic as well.

Must admit, I read something on one of the Everton forums/websites from a Celtic supporter that I thought was quite interesting considering my stance on him. He said something a long the lines of that he is the type of player that will continually frustrate you because he will show his skill and class to beat his man but then balls up the cross/shot. Whereas I consider it a bad thing because it does annoy me, he said that at least he is getting into those positions and by doing so he is creating space for others and with enough opportunities he will pick the right ball and therefore create chances that other players wont.

I'm sure Martinez will help him play smarter and if he does and if he increases his conversion rate by 10/15% then he is going to be a great player for Everton.

My jury is still out but I must admit that I am much more excited about the prospect of seeing him play than I was when we signed him. I hope he does well.

I have to agree with Bailey as I was a frustrated Celtic Supporter (season ticket holder) with Aiden McGeady on numerous occasions. He does do some brilliant things on the ball, with some fancy footwork and great tricks but the final ball or shot were too often poor. I know and taught with his dad John (had to give up football due to knee injuries ) and he was a small but stocky built man, so Aiden has taken after him. When Aiden was at Parkhead he was too skinny and light, so some extra weight will make him physically stronger and better for the EPL. RM will get the best out of him, as will the team as he will open out the game by keeping wide and his final ball should be much better now through experience and knowledge of the game. Hail Hail

Guest blueboy122

I have to agree with Bailey as I was a frustrated Celtic Supporter (season ticket holder) with Aiden McGeady on numerous occasions. He does do some brilliant things on the ball, with some fancy footwork and great tricks but the final ball or shot were too often poor. I know and taught with his dad John (had to give up football due to knee injuries ) and he was a small but stocky built man, so Aiden has taken after him. When Aiden was at Parkhead he was too skinny and light, so some extra weight will make him physically stronger and better for the EPL. RM will get the best out of him, as will the team as he will open out the game by keeping wide and his final ball should be much better now through experience and knowledge of the game. Hail Hail

Thanks for the insight.

I think that all wingers have the same problem with there final ball. They are a very rare breed who can do all the leg work and have a spot on final ball all the time.

I actually didn't mind the tricks or showboating too much, and my recollection is that during the game there weren't too many one-touch crosses into the box as the pitch seemed to make those one-touch opportunities less-than-ideal (most goals were through the middle), so to me he looked like he was trying to beat a guy to create space for a better cross.

I was frustrated on his behalf on Saturday because for a lot of the game he was in acres of space on the right but the team didn't use him. In fact they seemed under instruction to pass sideways across the pitch to Baines almost every time! When Stones got forward he tended to pause and pass inside rather than try to slide McGeady through, but I daresay they're still getting used to each other and when Coleman is back maybe they'll link up more effectively as he'll know McGeady's game from their international experience.

It would have been some full home debut for him if that great early shot had gone in off the post!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He'll upset a few with this comment:

"Tactically, he [Martinez] is one of the best I have ever worked with. He knows what he is talking about and it would not surprise me if he landed a job with one of the biggest clubs in the country, or the world."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9204234/everton-winger-aiden-mcgeady-praises-roberto-martinezs-managerial-ability

Prickish comments , Everton is one of the biggest premier league clubs. Did Martinez not give him the DVD when he joined. Fuckin hate comments like that. Get your fat arse focussed on getting fit and less touting the manager for the next job.

Spot on.

Prickish comments , Everton is one of the biggest premier league clubs. Did Martinez not give him the DVD when he joined. Fuckin hate comments like that. Get your fat arse focussed on getting fit and less touting the manager for the next job.

I assumed he was talking about the Arsenal job, or for a team competing for the title, I didnt read it as a slight against the club....

I assumed he was talking about the Arsenal job, or for a team competing for the title, I didnt read it as a slight against the club....

I'm with you. I didn't take it as a slight either. We are one of the biggest clubs in the PL -- no doubt -- but we have a lot of catching up to do squad-wise(money) with the ones in front of wise. .

• 2 weeks later...

So what did everyone think of him today?

At times I thought that we had actually found Pienaar's long term replacement but then he would go and do something stupid or ridiculously sloppy that had be tearing my hair out. Definite promise from him though and in the grand scheme of things he hasnt been with the group that long so hopefully he will become more consistent over the 90 minutes.

So what did everyone think of him today?

At times I thought that we had actually found Pienaar's long term replacement but then he would go and do something stupid or ridiculously sloppy that had be tearing my hair out. Definite promise from him though and in the grand scheme of things he hasnt been with the group that long so hopefully he will become more consistent over the 90 minutes.

i felt the exact same way. he cuts inside sometimes and is very pacy which is great. but gave away the ball many times and didn't link up well with baines. i'd still prefer pienaar on the left, but maybe mcgeady on the right with coleman instead of selfish kev.

I was really impressed with him and thought he actually tried to defend at times.

He made a few tackles back and put pressure on them when they had the ball.

He needs to learn to get back into position when defending now though.

I also thought he reminded me of Pienaar at times.

I was really impressed with him and thought he actually tried to defend at times.

He made a few tackles back and put pressure on them when they had the ball.

He needs to learn to get back into position when defending now though.

I also thought he reminded me of Pienaar at times.

Yeh that's the impression I got. On the whole I thought he defended quite well, albeit he obviously switched off for their first and I also thought he got sucked in a couple of times too.