IGNORED

Aiden McGeady

I feel like Naismith doesn't belong in the side, if we are to play the game we want to play. Hard work won't cut it. You can't will your passes complete; you can't just pass harder or faster. There are just things he objectively cannot do.

HOWEVER, if we are a goal or two down with 10 minutes left, and we need to go long or try to force something magical to happen, then I think he's a perfect sub.

The problem is, for all of his hard work without the ball, the game we play is predicated upon us using and controlling the ball. If he can't make or receive a pass, if he can't retain possession for longer than a quick counter attack, then that creates a black hole in our team. We are forced to play two different games on opposite sides of the field. And, we run the risk of never finding our feet.

I like Naismith. He seems like a solid guy, and he has passion. And, if I were manager, I'd keep him here, on the bench, in case I needed him to give us a last-second spark or defend the hell out of a narrow lead if we've got our backs against the wall. But, the simple fact is he doesn't fit our style of play. It's one of those square pegs-round holes situations.

He's not a Premier League player IMO.

Yes, he gets a lot of stick, granted, but you cant play someone on the sole reason that they are a hard worker.

He lacks any decent tekkers, he cant cross a ball, he cant pass a ball, he cant control a ball, and he dosnt score enough. Where does that leave him in the side as a RM?

dunno, but Martinez seems to know, and that's all that matters!

I've always liked McGeady, completely natural footballer. He was born to dribble a football.

Decision making can be lacking at times, but the ability to simply get into a dangerous area behind a defender is something that every team needs.

Given Mirallas is our only other natural winger, we definitely need cover. No brainer imo.

I think we need to do the mccgeady deal soonish. He hasn't played for a while due to the winter break so we need to get him up to speed. Just on the Naismith point. I can see a few clubs being interested in him. The villas,stokes etc if we got an offer would be interesting to see what happened

Pretty happy if it is indeed true, however I am a little disappointed that he won't be coming until the summer. I know saving money is important but having said that, I think we've seen we can be thin at the wings when fitness becomes a problem. Hopefully, Deulofeu comes back soon and that will be taken care of.

Based on what I hear he needs a pre season and a little bit of culturing to our way. He's been out of shape and there seems to be a need to address his mindset as such.

Players like him could upset the applecart a little by joining mid season. Happy to get him on a free, but needs integrating to the squad.

What do you mean by that? Players low on fitness or does he have a reputation ?

I'm not sure which one Haf was referring to, but he can be a little...sh*t. Attitude has been questioned before. Hopefully, that's younger days...

Falling out with the manager at Spartak, doesn't help his case.

What do you mean by that? Players low on fitness or does he have a reputation ?

Apparently, both McGeady and Everton want it done in this window.

I think he's in the midst of a bad season, needs a bit of TLC, his ego stroking, some hard work on fitness etc.

Yeah he sounds like a bit of a strong personality, a good pre season away bonding with the team will be best. Remember what happened to Newcastle when asprilla turned up midseason.

Cant post links because im in work, but the Daily Mail are reporting its pretty much done on a "pre-contract" agreement.

Interesting bit at the bottom of the article;

Before a Champions League clash against Celtic in 2008, Barcelona's Lionel Messi said of McGeady: 'Aiden McGeady is a fast and skilful winger and someone I rate highly. He’d be successful anywhere in Europe. We will have to be very careful with him because his movement can be special and he has a great ability to appear in goalscoring positions out of the blue.'

Daily Mail though so probably bullshit.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

I've no doubt that we will get McGeady now, it all seems to be wrapped up and everyone is reporting the same. Given that we have a few Irish players in the midfield I'm sure he will settle in well and will give us a further option on the right-wing for when Mirallas is playing gash and Gerard is injured.

I'm guessing that the signing of Aiden will smash any plans of signing Deulofeu for a further year?

Link to Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2536179/Everton-agreed-pre-contract-Spartak-Moscow-midfielder-Aiden-McGeady.html

Edited by Zoo

I think he's in the midst of a bad season, needs a bit of TLC, his ego stroking, some hard work on fitness etc.

Yeah he sounds like a bit of a strong personality, a good pre season away bonding with the team will be best. Remember what happened to Newcastle when asprilla turned up midseason.

Its a valid point and something worth considering.

Martinez will get a better idea as to how to 'handle' him too, given a longer exposure to the rest of the team.

I've no doubt that we will get McGeady now, it all seems to be wrapped up and everyone is reporting the same. Given that we have a few Irish players in the midfield I'm sure he will settle in well and will give us a further option on the right-wing for when Mirallas is playing gash and Gerard is injured.

I'm guessing that the signing of Aiden will smash any plans of signing Deulofeu for a further year?

Link to Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2536179/Everton-agreed-pre-contract-Spartak-Moscow-midfielder-Aiden-McGeady.html

not necessarily...we'll need the extra bodies in for champs league B)

Guest Nikica

Still not sure about this for you - to reiterate what I said before, he's somewhat of a highlights player and flatters to deceive. However, if he arrives he deserves his chance like everyone else so let's see what he can produce. The good news is that he can beat a man so he will make full-backs think. I saw some of his early games at Spartak and he was impressive, but obviously things have soured there.