IGNORED

Aiden McGeady

Guest blueboy122

Yes exactly what I was thinking Tonk. Its such a difference between the types of players Moyes wanted and the types of players Martinez wants. I think its clear that Martinez would like to add players who can add something quality rather than having the work horse type players Moyes loved.

Don't get me wrong every team needs the work horses, I am just surmising from us being linked with different players.

• 2 weeks later...

I've fully warmed to the idea of him coming in Jan because...

1. His goals/assist record in Russian is excellent (albeit not the greatest league but by no means a low standard).

2. He'll fit straight in with him already knowing the likes of McCarthy, Coleman, Gibson and Duffy.

3. With Delofeou out we need at least 1 more winger anyway.

4. He'll be hungry to prove himself in the Prem.

5. He won't cost too much with his contract up in the summer.

6. and most importantly... Roberto obviously likes him having tracked him while at Wigan - I'm sure he's done his homework on how he'll use him at EFC!

I will be pretty disappointed if this does happen.

He is average at best and he isn't the cleverest footballer either. Id rather play Naismith more.

I'd rather do a straight swap for McGeady with Naismith, but I guess we need numbers.

Edited by TonkaRoost

You have to drop your preconceptions of a player. Martinez obviously rates him and believes he can do a job for us. Dont forget that Martinez has a very good record taking players and making them better.

Looking at McGeady's stats, and his experience playing and doing well in Champs league I think he will do well for us. I hope we can get him for a nominal fee in January as we need signings to boost the squad.

I've always thought he was a decent player and feel that RM knows what he's doing if he has been interested in him for a while now. This plus the facts that he won't be too expensive and that we need wing depth (especially if we are going to continue our top 4 push) leads me to welcoming him if he does sign with open arms.

Our wide players haven't done enough this season, for a cheap fee he's got to be worth a punt. We need competition and I'm sure we can't afford a world beater right now. If he does ok we will be able to move him on I'm sure.

He would still need to want to move on. I don't think he's better than Pienaar (who is having a good season imo) and Mirallas, so I don't really see the point either. Sign someone that's actually really good or don't sign anyone.

He would still need to want to move on. I don't think he's better than Pienaar (who is having a good season imo) and Mirallas, so I don't really see the point either. Sign someone that's actually really good or don't sign anyone.

Then you run the risk of having no depth, or not being able to rotate the squad to give players adequate rest. You can't play the same 11 every week without them burning out at some point, see Spurs under Harry Redknapp. I'm not saying McGeady is or isn't the answer, but I think we could use another capable wide man (someone better than Naismith out wide), but it isn't enough of a priority to spend our limited budget all on a winger. Not every signing is going to be a record fee signing/superstar.

Then you run the risk of having no depth, or not being able to rotate the squad to give players adequate rest. You can't play the same 11 every week without them burning out at some point, see Spurs under Harry Redknapp. I'm not saying McGeady is or isn't the answer, but I think we could use another capable wide man (someone better than Naismith out wide), but it isn't enough of a priority to spend our limited budget all on a winger. Not every signing is going to be a record fee signing/superstar.

We have Pienaar, Mirallas and Deulofeu as out and out wingers, Naismith only gets to play on the wing too. Oviedo has shown he's too good to not play at all, but will not be getting Baines' spot. And if it's just to rest someone for one game, we can always play Osman or even Coleman on the wing too. If we sign McGeady, I think we'll be saying "we can use someone better than McGeady out wide" next year like we're saying of Naismith now, so I'd prefer not to sign someone like that.

We have Pienaar, Mirallas and Deulofeu as out and out wingers, Naismith only gets to play on the wing too. Oviedo has shown he's too good to not play at all, but will not be getting Baines' spot. And if it's just to rest someone for one game, we can always play Osman or even Coleman on the wing too. If we sign McGeady, I think we'll be saying "we can use someone better than McGeady out wide" next year like we're saying of Naismith now, so I'd prefer not to sign someone like that.

Gerry is injured, leaving only Pienaar and Mirallas who play there normally. We gad a left back and a Naismith on the wings today, I think it's obvious we need back up. Osman is not a winger, and anyone who considers moving Coleman needs their eyes pulling out with a spoon.

Gerry is injured, leaving only Pienaar and Mirallas who play there normally. We gad a left back and a Naismith on the wings today, I think it's obvious we need back up. Osman is not a winger, and anyone who considers moving Coleman needs their eyes pulling out with a spoon.

That cover better not be Aiden McGeady then. I'll be very happy if we sign Gauld though.

Don't forget Gerard is a loan player. Look at Man City, Chelsea, Man U, all the top clubs have options... they don't just have two capable wingers.

I agree with Patto. He is worth a try. Will be fairly cheap and he is good cover for Mirallas and Pienaar. For the record, I was happy when we signed Barry! Cant remember my feelings on Gibbo, must look back on that thread to see.

Edit, had a look back and was not far off the truth.

I Agree with this. If we can sell Rodwell for 25-30 mil and replace him with Gibson at 500 000, I think its good business. Everton can whip him into shape and as many have pointed out. I will fully support him while at everton. Who knows, it could turn out to be a real finding. And we might get rid of 25-30 mil in dept, opening up for a potential takeover. Now, how much can we get for Moyes???

Surely Barry is a step up from Hitzl?

id take Barry but 100 000 a week is just ridiculous. I'd say that Barry would slot straight into the team in the middle. Instead of Osman who clearly should play further up the field. However as a backup for Barkley atm.

If Man City would pay 45-50% of his wages then yes, otherwise no.

Edited by Peter H

I'd much rather try to make it work with what we have than sign someone for the sake of signing someone. McGeady is turning 28 this season and is average at best.

Sign someone actually good that will make Mirallas a bench player or sign a youngster with potential. If it's just for depth until Deulofeu returns, I'd rather get Donovan on loan. (Also, I liked Barry and was ambivalent about Gibson as I didn't know much about him)