IGNORED

Ross Barkley

is he going to follow Rodwells progress; plenty of potential, some great games but too many serious injuries?

Rodwell was more in the Gibson mould; niggling injuries. Barkley's are serious, which is worrying. He missed a whole year of his development and now it looks like he'll be missing the best part of another year. And he's a much more promising player so it's more gutting :(.

So is it 6 weeks, 2 months or 5 months? The only thing we know for sure is that he will be a huge miss even if it is only for 6 weeks as we haven't got a natural replacement for him. Naismith can't play the same role and I noticed Rom was annoyed quite a few times with the service he received from Naisy. I think we may get a loan signing in as 'cover' for Ross, someone like Holtby.

i think this should considerably alter our expectations for the season. from the little i know, i think we would be lucky to finish in the the 6-8 area. this not only hurts us this year but takes a year of development away from ross AND could be potentially career altering for him b/c nobody knows how he will bounce back both mentally and physically. from what i know about the team, it doesn't look like we are going to spend alot more money for a loan so imho, we should pay for a cheap loan on a very young player that could potentially develop and we could purchase down the road on the cheap.

Can't rush to any conclusions on this until the severity of the injury is assessed. Hopefully it's minor, and he just needs a month of rest and a few weeks to build strength back up. If it turns out to be a tear, then we can hit the panic button. We definitely needed to bring in a attacking midfielder before this, and we could certainly use one now even more. I actually think Besic could do a job there now, as he's looked good in the attacking half of the field in preseason--he can run, beat defenders, link up, and pick a pass. In many ways he's a lot like Barkley.

What yesterday really showed is that we need somebody in the central attacking midfield role who can unlock these lower sides that park the bus and create space for Romelu to get into the game. We've struggled to do this for several years though.

Either we need someone in the mold of Barkley, who can create havoc running with the ball, or we need someone tricky, who can pick an incisive pass and put the right weight on it for a striker to latch onto.

Can't rush to any conclusions on this until the severity of the injury is assessed. Hopefully it's minor, and he just needs a month of rest and a few weeks to build strength back up. If it turns out to be a tear, then we can hit the panic button. We definitely needed to bring in a attacking midfielder before this, and we could certainly use one now even more. I actually think Besic could do a job there now, as he's looked good in the attacking half of the field in preseason--he can run, beat defenders, link up, and pick a pass. In many ways he's a lot like Barkley.

What yesterday really showed is that we need somebody in the central attacking midfield role who can unlock these lower sides that park the bus and create space for Romelu to get into the game. We've struggled to do this for several years though.

Either we need someone in the mold of Barkley, who can create havoc running with the ball, or we need someone tricky, who can pick an incisive pass and put the right weight on it for a striker to latch onto.

Ideally we'd have both. A Zé Roberto to Barkley's Ballack or something like that. Though I don't know whether it's realistic to play with just one holding midfielder if both of our full backs are as agressive going forward as they are.

Ideally we'd have both. A Zé Roberto to Barkley's Ballack or something like that. Though I don't know whether it's realistic to play with just one holding midfielder if both of our full backs are as agressive going forward as they are.

Of course it would be best to have both. A tricky alternative to Barkley has been something we've needed going into the season. I don't know that we would really need to play them both at the same time. I think the contrast between these two types of influential players would be a great change of pace that could allow us to beat teams we have struggled for 60 minutes to break down. We could always take off Barry and move Barkley back with McCarthy or take off a winger and put Barkley or our hypothetical #10 out wide if need be.

Can't rush to any conclusions on this until the severity of the injury is assessed. Hopefully it's minor, and he just needs a month of rest and a few weeks to build strength back up. If it turns out to be a tear, then we can hit the panic button. .

The club have already said it's a partial tear matey.