IGNORED

Ross Barkley

The option of a second year wasn't followed up. I doubt that was on our behalf. When he signed for Sevilla they announced on their website that one of the main reasons he's going there is because he'll be playing.

The injury in January. Everton said 6 weeks Barca said 'no 8 weeks'.

We haven't signed anyone else from Barca. Thought we had a special relationship?

See the article in the Gerry thread

Just read it. Further cements that Barca weren't happy with his progress here.

not barca, just the new manager luis enrique. it seemed more like he didn't know what he was doing. he called him back (which you do to a player who would be in the 1st team) and then realized he had too many wingers and sent him out on loan. a seasoned manager would have assessed that situation and not called him back to let him have another year on loan.

i think it's more about luis enrique than anything else, small manager just getting his footing at the big club.

not barca, just the new manager luis enrique. it seemed more like he didn't know what he was doing. he called him back (which you do to a player who would be in the 1st team) and then realized he had too many wingers and sent him out on loan. a seasoned manager would have assessed that situation and not called him back to let him have another year on loan.

i think it's more about luis enrique than anything else, small manager just getting his footing at the big club.

I don't understand why we wouldn't have been given first option though? There is no way Martinez would have said no to another years loan.

I don't understand why we wouldn't have been given first option though? There is no way Martinez would have said no to another years loan.

i think we did have first option, but he knew it would make him look like an idiot and amateur to call a player back, and the re loan them to the same team. so he acted like he meant to do it and sevilla would be better blah blah blah to cover his tracks.

at least that's what i think, could be totally wrong though

The reason RM does not give any clarity on his injury because by the time the actual return date come out of his mouth Ross will already be half way to recovery and no-one will request immediate transfers whilst we are still awaiting the extent.

It's every injury though.

Maybe its because every person is different and every players body will react in different ways to different injuries?

2 players wont recover in the same time frame so I dont see why everyone is bitching and moaning that the prognosis isnt exactly right. Even if the same player went to 3 different doctors they are likely to get 3 different time frames.

Under Moyes we never had this problem. He was always upfront and said it as it is. He'd say "we're waiting for a scan", "he's out the rest of the season". Basically he'd never give any real dates or weeks. It was just plain English everytime. With Martinez everything is encrypted.

i think we did have first option, but he knew it would make him look like an idiot and amateur to call a player back, and the re loan them to the same team. so he acted like he meant to do it and sevilla would be better blah blah blah to cover his tracks.

at least that's what i think, could be totally wrong though

My thoughts were that Luis Enrique wanted him to play in La Liga and their playstyle is different than that of the BPL, which for example is much more rough.

Under Moyes we never had this problem. He was always upfront and said it as it is. He'd say "we're waiting for a scan", "he's out the rest of the season". Basically he'd never give any real dates or weeks. It was just plain English everytime. With Martinez everything is encrypted.

I dont remember it being any different, its probably just that Martinez is more open with the media so you hear more quotes.

I dont see how not giving any dates its better than giving some sort of rough time-frame? Your just moaning for the sake of moaning.

I dont remember it being any different, its probably just that Martinez is more open with the media so you hear more quotes.

I dont see how not giving any dates its better than giving some sort of rough time-frame? Your just moaning for the sake of moaning.

I've always had a problem with injury side of things under Martinez. You can go back to January and see I wasn't impressed then.

which very well could be. my understanding (rudimentary at best) was when we signed him RM said there was a 2nd year option. When he was called back this was canceled.

There was a second year option. Martinez made that quite clear last summer.

Second year option isn't the same as second year "first" option though is it? Because if we'd have had that he'd probably be at Goodison instead of Sevilla.

Yer I go along with that line of thinking. If there was an agreement in place surely they couldn't call him back then loan him to someone else..

I don't think I ever read Martinez confirming it as a definite that a deal was actually in place just that there COULD be an option to extend it.

In my eyes that means if all parties are happy then it may happen if not any of the 3 can pull the plug.

Second year option isn't the same as second year "first" option though is it? Because if we'd have had that he'd probably be at Goodison instead of Sevilla.

when did I say we had "first option"? I'm just stating what Martinez had said. We had the option of a second season.

when did I say we had "first option"? I'm just stating what Martinez had said. We had the option of a second season.

Your inference, I thought, was that you were agreeing with Mark, who'd said "first option" a couple of posts up (no need to do your stock "read my post" reply, I get it).

All a bit pointless really, if we had an option that Barca could withdraw from at any time it was never really an option at all as far as we were concerned was it?

Your inference, I thought, was that you were agreeing with Mark, who'd said "first option" a couple of posts up (no need to do your stock "read my post" reply, I get it).

All a bit pointless really, if we had an option that Barca could withdraw from at any time it was never really an option at all as far as we were concerned was it?

I admit mike I'm not as familiar with the transfer loan system used overseas as I should be. Here is what I believe and feel free to correct me.

The option only exists for the the loaning team (barca). If they decide he can stay another year it is so, but if we said hey we want him another year I don't think that had any bearing on what happens, we get a loan or not at the mercy and kindness of another team.

Much like our youngsters going on loan and last year we recalled a couple, they had the full year loan but we called them back, I don't think their side can rebuttal that.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/18/arsenal-target-bernard-loan-as-brazilian-wants-out-of-shakhtar-donetsk-4836636/

Shakhtar have apparently made Barnard available for Loan. Arsenal are interested but he would be a perfect playmaker to replace Barkley for the interim. Top, top player.

That would be attacking midfielder 9 for the Arse if they get him. Come join us Berny, pretty much a guaranteed starting berth.

Yes please!

Why would you want to go to Arsenal and never play?

I admit mike I'm not as familiar with the transfer loan system used overseas as I should be.

I don't think any of us are familiar with the system, because I don't think there is a system that covers this sort of thing.

At best it was an informal agreement imo :).

Anyhow, this is the Barkley thread, back on track please :unsure:!