IGNORED

Wilfried Bony

They play Chadli as a striker though? All moot though as his Wiki page says he joined Villa today for £6million

Nope. He played there for the first time in his career in the last couple of weeks of the season, he's played the majority of his games for Twente on the left.

He's also a better and even younger player than Mirallas and I would love him here. He's in the last year of his contract as well so I can't see Twente getting £8-9m.

Edited by Steve_E

An offer was made, but it's not as good as the one from Swansea.

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=191309

Agent Francis Kacou is desperate for money there by the sound of it.

He's complaining about Vitesse. Apparently they made a promise in January, that he could leave for €12m in the summer. Swansea wanted to pay that, but he couldn't leave. Now they've offered €14m and another €2m in bonuses. There's no way we're gonna match that (£13.7m) and it seems like Vitesse don't even want to sell him for that, otherwise he wouldn't be complaining.

I'm always dubious about big money Dutch strikers, for every van nistlerooy there is an alves, for every Suarez there is a kezman.

A good article here...

http://www.benefoot.net/de-zestien-vitesse-could-be-even-better-without-wilfried-bony/

I don't think it's a good article. For one, it spreads that "for every van Nistelrooy, there's an Alves" shite. That's a mental construct and nothing more. Van Nistelrooy and his ability have absolutely no relation to Alves and his ability and neither have anything to do with Bony and his ability. Every transfer is a risk. Even transfers from other big leagues: for every Zola, there's a Shevchenko. Don't get me wrong, Shevchenko was a fantastic player, one of the 3 or 4 best strikers in the world during his Milan days and even he wasn't a sure thing for Chelsea apparently. Even buying from your own league isn't a guarantee. For every Alan Shearer, there's an Andy Carroll. For every Robin van Persie, there's a Fernando Torres.

Then they also twist a lot of positive statistics into negative ones. They say "the best finishers need around 3 shots on target to score a goal", he does even better than that, but they somehow know that he will not maintain that. Then there's the "he scores 29 of of his teams 60 goals after 29 games, he must be shit" stat. That's like blaming Messi for scoring 46 of his teams 115 goals. He's fucking carrying the team! Blame their starting wingers Ibarra and Kakuta (scored 4 goals combined last season) for Vitesse not scoring that much, not Bony. For good measure, he finished the season scoring 31 of his teams 68 goals. That means only Ajax and PSV scored more goals than Vitesse. Then there's this passage:

In the last 10 Eredivisie seasons, only once did the top scorer play for the champions – Mounir El Hamdaoui from AZ. (And what is he doing now?)

Again, they're seeing trends and correlations where there really aren't any. Here's the strikers who did play for the Eredivisie champions in the last 10 years: Siem de Jong, Mounir El Hamdaoui, Blaise Nkufo, Danny Koevermans, Jefferson Farfan and Arouna Koné (PSV played with 2 strikers at the time), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and finally Zlatan Ibrahimovic. They must all be much better than strikers than Suarez (35 goals in his last full season for Ajax) and Huntelaar (33 goals in his last season for Ajax) then. The only reason PSV and Ajax, who have much better sides in general than Vitesse, struggled to finish above Vitesse, is because they did not have a striker of Bony's quality and Vitesse did.

Edited by Steve_E

Is it fair to say that the Dutch league can house average strikers and make them appear more than what they are in the same way you can with the Dutch league? I think in the case of shevchenko it was simple - his legs had gone.

For me a great striker isn't always about ability, more mentality. If it wasn't that case then for me stan collymore would have been one of the very best of his era. Bringing a player to another country exposes that same risk, albeit with collymore he was troubled with a disease rather than change in environment.

Is it fair to say that the Dutch league can house average strikers and make them appear more than what they are in the same way you can with the Dutch league? I think in the case of shevchenko it was simple - his legs had gone.

I think you can find that in every league in all honesty.

A lot of time the success of a player completely depends on the style of the league and the style the manager wants him to play and its the ability of the scout/manager to work out if the player will fit the culture at the club.

For me a great striker isn't always about ability, more mentality. If it wasn't that case then for me stan collymore would have been one of the very best of his era. Bringing a player to another country exposes that same risk, albeit with collymore he was troubled with a disease rather than change in environment.

Every league in the world can house strikers that won't do as good in another league, or even at another club in the same league, that's my point. That isn't unique to the Eredivisie.

Also, Shevchenko's legs would have gone over the course of one summer? The season before joining Chelsea he was the top scorer of the Champions League with 9 goals in 12 games and he scored 19 goals in the Serie A, he then scored 2 in 5 during the World Cup that summer.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest rusty747

I was referring to a link in an earlier thread but you are, of course, correct on both counts.

Am I dreaming to think of Bony and Remy as a strike pair next season?

Edited by rusty747

Apparently so

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there for the buttons he'd cost in today's market if they show interest he'd surely go and he'd be a force in a side like Arsenal

Exactly what I was thinking. Seems like a sown up one.