IGNORED

Tim Cahill

Watching Australia vs Japan last night he did appear to be very hungry. He was everywhere and he was going up and winning crosses all game. Maybe a few weeks rest was all he needed to refresh and come back fit and strong. Then again he won't be going up against 5 and a half foot CB's in the prem.. 67.gif

was he being played out of position that much though? to be honest i thought the deeper he was the better he seemed to be...says a lot for his attacking form

Thats because that is his position!

He is not and never will be an out and out forward, he was being asked to lead the line for Everton for most of last season and that isnt his game. He is always better when he makes late runs into the box from deep.

He was only aloud to do this last year once Jelavic came. I

If Cahill is still with us for all of next season I will put money on him getting into double figures

urrrrgh Cahill and Saha, bad memories, nearly fell over each other as they both occupied the same spaces.

Looking forward to seeing if Barkley gets the chance to play behind Jelavic and work some magic using Jelavic's clever movement...that does excite me as one thing we've seen is Barkley has guile..

First time poster.

Anyway, I know Timmy had a disappointing season in 2011/12, however if his performance in the Australian-Japan game is anything to go by, he is back to his best. Even though he failed to score, he dominated and gave the Japanese a litany of headaches and some people back here in Australia are labeling his first half as one of Tim's best 45 minutes in a Socceroo shirt.

I realise it is a different kettle of fish to the EPL, however this was a performance not seen from Timmy since the 2010 World Cup. If he can replicate that performance on a regular basis this season, there is no reason why he should leave Everton.

First time poster.

Anyway, I know Timmy had a disappointing season in 2011/12, however if his performance in the Australian-Japan game is anything to go by, he is back to his best. Even though he failed to score, he dominated and gave the Japanese a litany of headaches and some people back here in Australia are labeling his first half as one of Tim's best 45 minutes in a Socceroo shirt.

I realise it is a different kettle of fish to the EPL, however this was a performance not seen from Timmy since the 2010 World Cup. If he can replicate that performance on a regular basis this season, there is no reason why he should leave Everton.

Interesting post....worthy of discussion.

Sadly all of us at the top half of the planet are in bed just now (apart from me and I'm just on my way there).

Hang around...see you in the morningtongue.png .

First time poster.

The majority of us still agree he can cut it but should be as an impact sub, like you have stated he was great for 45 mins. He's been a great servant to the club (could have went to a champs league club but chose to stay), and last year felt like we were repaying him back for that respect by playing him every week. Now we have a tough decision of keeping him as a key player or using him as a super sub or letting him go. Personally I think the 2 latter options are the most sensible, and Cahill should be the one to decide wether he'd rather sit on the bench or go abroad for one last big pay check.

Edited by pete0

How you can want to get rid of Cahill is beyond me.

Great squad player, agreed, last year wasn't his best, but he looked very good as the team lifted in the last 1/3 of the season.

Against Japan he was immense, brought players in by competing for balls he had no right to win, with his experience and timing.

Everton don't have alot of depth, last season, at one point we had a bench that was full of teenagers who hadn't played a single Premier League game, so to want to sell a player, who can play up front on his own, behind a striker, or midfield is complete madness.

To many people always thinking the grass is greener on the other side, every week wanting to get rid of players like Hibbert, Neville and Cahill. Yes they all have there weakness', but 1 on 1, I would back them to win against any player in the premier league, and that is there quality.

How many times did Hibbert negate a threat down the rights last season, Neville put in block or come in as a second defender, Cahill battle through midfield to force a turnover and break up the opposition play.

These people are the glue of the squad, they bring the squad together behind the scenes and set the tone to get the players working as a team. They are Everton.

Without them, last year could have seen us staying in that relegation scrap.

And then there's the teenagers we all lay our hope in year in year out, waiting for another Rooney.

Who do you think the teenagers look to but the experienced squad members about work ethic, desire to win, overcoming injuries, and having the right mindset to be at the top of a volatile industry where your every move is under the magnifying glass, and you can go from the hero to forgotten in a very short time.

We need our experienced players, stop hoping to flog them off if you want Everton to continue to be successful.

He's been a great player because of his attitude rather than ability. Granted, his leap and heading ability place him up there with sharp, ferguson, gray, dean, shearer, klose, bierhoff, speed, drogba.

He shouldn't be at the club on his decline. It happened to Reid and it wasn't nice to see.

How many times did Hibbert negate a threat down the rights last season, Neville put in block or come in as a second defender, Cahill battle through midfield to force a turnover and break up the opposition play.

These people are the glue of the squad, they bring the squad together behind the scenes and set the tone to get the players working as a team. They are Everton.

We need our experienced players, stop hoping to flog them off if you want Everton to continue to be successful.

1) Are they adding anything to the attack? Not really. I agree that they add to the locker room atmosphere; however, that isn't enough. I would like to keep all three, but don't really want to see all three playing. I'm not calling for a mass exodus of our experienced players, just a realization that it's time for other options. I still love Cahill and think he would make a great impact-sub though. Personally, I have a soft spot for Neville too. I appreciate what Hibbert has done for the club. I just don't agree that it's worth keeping them because of what they have done rather than what/how we should be doing now. I

2) Define success. I don't think finishing in 7th is a success, unless you consider how we started. If you look at how we ended the year -- second best form after January -- it's a failure. Granted, We didn't have Jelavic to put the goals in for us.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I'm not ungrateful. We need finances, therefore, we need to sell some players who aren't as valuable so we can keep the ones who are.

I appreciate what Hibbert has done for the club. I just don't agree that it's worth keeping them because of what they have done rather than what/how we should be doing now. I

2) Define success. I don't think finishing in 7th is a success, unless you consider how we started. If you look at how we ended the year -- second best form after January -- it's a failure. Granted, We didn't have Jelavic to put the goals in for us.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I'm not ungrateful. We need finances, therefore, we need to sell some players who aren't as valuable so we can keep the ones who are.

Hibbert made more assist than Baines last season, and arguably had his best ever season performance wise. He was also the second most used player the season we finished 4th. The side of midfield is a much higher priority.

Hibbert made more assist than Baines last season, and arguably had his best ever season performance wise. He was also the second most used player the season we finished 4th. The side of midfield is a much higher priority.

Baines had more goals. happy.png Kidding, obviously -- just pointing out that having numbers greater than someone else on the squad doesn't necessarily make an argument. I also don't see how pointing out that he helped us finish fourth is relevant considering it was the 04/05 season(feels like ages). I'm not arguing against keeping Hibbert -- only stating that at some point we have to move on due to our financial situation. I'll admit that I really can't see Hibbert playing for any other club, nor do I want him to, unless it means that we can get funds for another player. Obviously wouldn't sell him now because we don't have many options for RB. Ideally, I'd love to keep all three, because they all love Everton, and I love that.

Agree with you that the midfield is a higher priority.

Baines had more goals. happy.png Kidding, obviously -- just pointing out that having numbers greater than someone else on the squad doesn't necessarily make an argument. I also don't see how pointing out that he helped us finish fourth is relevant considering it was the 04/05 season(feels like ages). I'm not arguing against keeping Hibbert -- only stating that at some point we have to move on due to our financial situation. I'll admit that I really can't see Hibbert playing for any other club, nor do I want him to, unless it means that we can get funds for another player. Obviously wouldn't sell him now because we don't have many options for RB. Ideally, I'd love to keep all three, because they all love Everton, and I love that.

Agree with you that the midfield is a higher priority.

Pointing out that he was one of our main players in the most successful season of the last decade and that he's a better player now than then. Done just as good as any other full back last season in my eyes.

Pointing out that he was one of our main players in the most successful season of the last decade and that he's a better player now than then. Done just as good as any other full back last season in my eyes.

Aye, what's all this overlapping nonsense and whipping in inviting crosses stuff from him then? shaking fist.png Stick to bloody defending!!!laugh.png

• 3 weeks later...