IGNORED

Nikica Jelavic

Wiki says 9, but isnt Donovan No. 9?

I'd imagine that he would take number 7 as Billy has left. The rumour around the ground was that he will take the number 9 shirt once Donovan has gone but I'm unsure if that is in the FA rules, I'm sure once you are given a shirt number you have to keep it till the end of the season. When he came on the pitch today his shirt just said 'Jelovic' there was no number...

I'd imagine that he would take number 7 as Billy has left. The rumour around the ground was that he will take the number 9 shirt once Donovan has gone but I'm unsure if that is in the FA rules, I'm sure once you are given a shirt number you have to keep it till the end of the season. When he came on the pitch today his shirt just said 'Jelovic' there was no number...

Yeah my dad said that "Why cant he just have 9 when donovan leaves?" but i'm pretty sure there is a registration window in which player numbers have to be assigned. not sure if it ends the same time as transfer window or what though.

Yeah my dad said that "Why cant he just have 9 when donovan leaves?" but i'm pretty sure there is a registration window in which player numbers have to be assigned. not sure if it ends the same time as transfer window or what though.

I think you have to submit a number for the season. He might take a spare number (7 or 8 maybe) now and then change in the summer, Beattie did it, so did Saha.

hello all .

Celtic season ticket holder here , die hard celtic fan , fucking hate the huns (rangers)

just seen a few of you are unsure about your new signing nikica jelavic ....

as a celtic fan i would be inclined to say hes shite etc , but that is far from the truth .

to be perfectly honest jelavic is a genius. can score impossible goals , can beat a man , and create things out of nothing . the scorer of tremendous goals . any of you unsure of his capabilities in the prem need not worry . he will score goals , he will create goals. If Rangers were not on the verge of adminstration they would not have sold him , and especially for the price you got him for ( an absolute steal). Rangers would have held out for ten million at least , as he was rumoured to go to united for about 12 million in his purple patch last season .

anyway just though i would give you my opinion , as we (talkceltic) always appreciate the opinions of other fans when we sign one of their players.

glad hes gone , and enjoy jelavic , think you lot will do well now

anyway just though i would give you my opinion , as we (talkceltic) always appreciate the opinions of other fans when we sign one of their players.

glad hes gone , and enjoy jelavic , think you lot will do well now

Thanks for that Fenian'. We hope he can be a success too, looking forward to seeing him get a run out :)

This bit made me laugh :lol: Gary Hooper's still at your place though, so now who's got the better strike force?

Thanks for that Fenian'. We hope he can be a success too, looking forward to seeing him get a run out smile.png

This bit made me laugh laugh.pngGary Hooper's still at your place though, so now who's got the better strike force?

did well to keep him , had a 7 million pound offer from zenit , glad hes still here . we have the better striek force now and will win the league very easily . ( little betting tip there )

im just wondering if jelavic will get the spl medal he won in november ?

http://aggbot.com/Scottish-Premier-League-Football-News/article/15308515

on a serious note good luck to him , he was one of the better ones as a bloke , never moaning or diving which you gotta respect.

I'm a Croat so i've seen him play quite a few times.

well, imo he is the typical old school centre forward. strong, tall, got some pace, hard working and knows where the goal is. his weakness probably is that he aint got the best technique, so if you aplly a quick short passing game you rather leave him on the bench. but imo he will come good for the english game as it is more about tempo and power. and the striker get a few crosses. in our national team he has rather dissapointed so far but that has probably got to do more with the tactics we apply and the kind of game Croatia plays. It's more about fluid passing and we have better options in attack for our game than Nikica but he comes handy when we apply a more direct approach.

all in all, time will tell of how he has done for Everton but I hope he gets the service he needs and then I'm sure he will bang in quite a few goals.

COYB

He told evertonfc.com: "He will do very well. He's a top player who is obviously a Croatian international and he is on his way up in his career. He went from Austria to Scotland and did well in both places. This is another chance for him and I think he will fit in fine.

"He is a very good player. He has got a bit of everything to be honest. He can hold it up, he can link up, he will score goals in the six yard box but he can score spectacular goals as well. He has got a little bit of everything in my opinion. There is not one attribute that stands out but he can score a header, he can score a free-kick, he can score a tap-in – he has got a lot of things in his locker."

Jelavic's record of 36 goals in 55 appearances backs up that assessment. Weir was a teammate of the 26-year-old for the majority of those appearances.

Knowing the Goodison dressing room, Weir expects Jelavic to settle into life on Merseyside quickly.

He continues: "He has got decent English, he is a nice lad with a family and he will fit in within the dressing room. He will be one of the boys, so that isn't a problem.

"It is almost like a preparation for the Premier League having played in Scotland. The Premier League is a better league but I think he has developed an understanding of the British style of football and he can cope with it. I think it has given him a leg up for preparing for England."

Weir is keen to point out that Jelavic's impressive goalscoring ratio does not mean he is a player who is single-minded to the detriment of the wider team.

He added: "He is a good player. He is not a selfish player, he is a team player. He has a bit of everything and isn't purely one of those strikers who is just a finisher. He will come and get involved, set things up as well and help his team. He has got a lot of attributes.

"He is primarily right-footed but he can definitely finish well with his left. He is more than capable of scoring with both feet and his head.

"I think it is great for Everton. Obviously for me, leaving Rangers, I would have liked him to stay at Rangers because he is a big part of the Rangers team but if he was going to go anywhere obviously Everton would have been my first choice and I am delighted for him and the Club. It is a great opportunity for him to play in a great league for a great club. It is a great opportunity for him."

As for Weir, he is continuing his search for a new club whilst training with Sheffield United following his departure from Ibrox last month.

Do you know when you get a really good feeling about a player? Got nothing to back it up but i think as a foreign player coming to the prem the physical side is a major obsticle but i think playing in Scotland has given him that grounding. Obviously the game in England is a lot quicker and he will have to get up to speed but the goals he scores from tap ins to headers to free kicks but ive got a feeling we may have a MAJOR player on our hands

Still over inflated in terms of quality to price. A players worth to a club is a totally different valuation to a players actual value.

But Zamora is a very good Premiership striker. We paid £5m for an older Distin. Money well spent on both counts in my opinion.

But Zamora is a very good Premiership striker. We paid £5m for an older Distin. Money well spent on both counts in my opinion.

laugh.png He's Decent, but he's not very good.... 20 Goals in 91 appearances for Fulham and 30 in 130 appearances for West Ham, worth £5m?

Both Cahill and Zamora made it into the England squads, same as Jagielka, we were talking about not selling Jags unless it was for £15 m. or for somewhere near.

Now tell me again who is over inflated. dont know.gif

I'm not saying Cahill is inflated, if anything Deflated, as his contract was running down. As for Zamora, he played what? 45 minutes for England? and like i said, he is 31 years old, which for a striker is old. QPR will be lucky to get another 2 years out of him, as for jags, he is 29, which usually about peak time for a centre back, he also has 10 caps for England, which IMO is why we could probably justify asking £15m for him.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

Guest blueboy122

Yes and I think we payed well over the odds for Distin even though I believe he has been a good signing overall. I am not having that Zamora is a very good premiership striker, he is an average striker at best.

Guest blueboy122

Bill I dont think using the fact that they got into England Squads makes a difference. England caps are handed out like confetti these days pal. Again another over inflated valuation, Jags is nowhere near worth 15 million in myopinion

Edited by blueboy122

laugh.png He's Decent, but he's not very good.... 20 Goals in 91 appearances for Fulham and 30 in 130 appearances for West Ham, worth £5m?

Name 5 very good premier league strikers so I know what we're judging it on here? Not many can hold a ball up better than Zamora, strength, a bit of pace, good in the air, can strike a ball - very good player.

Name 5 very good premier league strikers so I know what we're judging it on here? Not many can hold a ball up better than Zamora, strength, a bit of pace, good in the air, can strike a ball - very good player.

Drogba, Anelka, Van Persie (off the top of my head) can all do what you've named and are Very good players, not World Class such as the likes of Van Nistelrooy and Henry in their hay day, but very good players.

Zamora - Average player and will only decline because of age

Edited by GoodisonRoad

Guest blueboy122

Cahills price is deflated due to his contract (which by the way was due to expire in 6 months) which someone has already pointed out, am sure if he had 5 years left on his Bolton contract then his club would be demanding around 20 million for him.

Anyway back on topic. I am really happy with the signing by the sounds of it from other posters on this forum it sounds like he has a bit of everything. At 5.5 million I think is a very good bit of business on the surface of things however only time will tell I suppose.