IGNORED

England

Phil Jones, Mr "last minute throw my stupid gormless looking face in the way because I'm positionally shite" .... Unbelievable.

Chris smalling, the physical specimen who if he learns how to kick a ball could be average.

Exactly why England are laughed at.

Guest blueboy122

Surprised Carrick has been left out.

Experienced international player who is important when playing international football. Plays that role very well.

Guest blueboy122

Phil Jones, Mr "last minute throw my stupid gormless looking face in the way because I'm positionally shite" .... Unbelievable.

Chris smalling, the physical specimen who if he learns how to kick a ball could be average.

Exactly why England are laughed at.

They wouldn't be anywhere near the squad if they didn't play for United. Caulker is a far superior than both of them put together.

Feel for Caulker as if he played for a top half side he would be there no doubt.

Thing is, there really isn't that much defensive midfield cover for people like Barkley, Sterling and the Ox to really express themselves.

Thats why im suprised Carrick didnt get the nod. But i suppose if you look at the way the shite play, Gerrard is the only one who really sits deep for them whilst Henderson is their legs and does a kind of McCarthy role. I think Barry would have been great cover for Gerrard as they both do very similar jobs at club level. Cant see where Lampard fits in personally apart from having an experienced head around the team.

Guest Nikica

Agreed that it's unreal how Smalling and Jones keep getting picked. In saying that, England don't have many top-class centre halves. I suppose the thinking is that Jones plays in multiple positions so taking him means they can pick less defenders and free up a space for a midfielder or winger.

Agree with GoodisonRoad too - Carrick has been poor this season but he would have been good cover for Gerrard. They don't have anyone else to really play the DM role. And Gerrard has played that role for a team which has conceded goals by the bucket this season...I don't really see the point in picking Lampard. He will never get in the team as Gerrard is a permanent fixture and they can't play together. If Gerrard does get injured Lampard can't play his role - so what is the point in taking him? Why not take Barry instead? He can play the role and has had a better season than Carrick.

I'd also have taken Clyne rather than Johnson.

Other than the above issues, it's actually about the best squad he could have picked. Pleasantly surprised to see all of Shaw, Lambert, Barkley and Sterling included.

Based on the squad he's picked, this looks what he will select for the Uruguay game:

---------------------Hart--------------------

Johnson--Cahill------Jagileka----Baines

------------Gerrard----Henderson--------

--------Sterling-----Rooney------Lallana

--------------------Sturridge------------------

The same team I picked a few weeks back, then. I don't like Rooney behind the striker but he seems to be undroppable for Roy. If it were up to me my front four would be Lallana behind Sturridge and Sterling and Ox on the wings. Plenty of youthfulness, dribbling, technical ability and intelligence in that. I think Barkley is a better player than Ox, but Ox more suited to the wider role. I feel that Rooney in front of Gerrard and Henderson isn't a strong enough midfield but we shall see.

Edited by Nikica

I'd agree if we were talking football ten years ago but defenders are asked to do more than just put their bodies on the line now. Stones etc are the type of defenders that are the ones with potential.

honestly, I see him as a good foil to Stones; the guy to put his body on the line once the adventurous screws up.