IGNORED

Christian Atsu

When his name was touted on loan I looked on a few forums and the majority vote was he's a headless chicken and nothing more than an athlete for me that assessment still stands

It worries me that Martinez is trying to talk him up and we've even kept hold of the lad this long he's simply not good enough for me and never will be

he's an unproven kid; nothing less, potentially more

• 2 weeks later...

He's scored for Ghana in their quarter-final.

He's put in some good performances, hasn't he?

Hopefully he can come back with hunger and raised confidence, and hopefully do some good for us.

Martinez always said he was one for the 2nd half of the season. Not sure what his thinking was there. Maybe that he hadn't actually played over here yet?

He's put in some good performances, hasn't he?

Hopefully he can come back with hunger and raised confidence, and hopefully do some good for us.

Martinez always said he was one for the 2nd half of the season. Not sure what his thinking was there. Maybe that he hadn't actually played over here yet?

I think he's scored 2 or 3 times during the tournament and played regularly, so he should be full of confidence and match fit upon his return. Which will benefit us (if Martinez actually chooses to use him!).

I've never understood that whole second half of the season comment from Martinez. You don't sign players on loan for them to grow into it (that's what you do with a permanent signing), you sign them for impact!

I think he's scored 2 or 3 times during the tournament and played regularly, so he should be full of confidence and match fit upon his return. Which will benefit us (if Martinez actually chooses to use him!).

I've never understood that whole second half of the season comment from Martinez. You don't sign players on loan for them to grow into it (that's what you do with a permanent signing), you sign them for impact!

I can only think that it was due to him not playing in the PL before this season? I don't think he had anyway? Giving him time to get up to speed? It does seem strange.

He's proved to me that he's not good enough regardless of how little playing time he's hadHe's no kid at 23 he should be at least showing signs of potential or that he at least has raw ability (Delafaou) I've not seen either myself mate

Meant to green you there mate.

Saw first 80 minutes of Ghana's 3-0 win in AFCON semifinal today. Left pub just before all the chaos.

I was impressed by Atsu, very much so, much more than in his limited minutes with Everton so far.

He had one assist, but should have had at least 2, possibly even 3. Before the PK, Atsu dinked a lovely ball in, goalkeeper interfered with the player, PK. If goalkeeper hadn't interfered, Atsu would have had lovely assist. Then he got assist on second goal, and later put in yet another perfect through ball that his teammate couldn't control.

He played right wing, but came inside frequently, and certainly did not hug the sideline at all. I suppose the opponent was hardly top-notch, but they threatened a couple of times, so weren't horrible.

I know we're pleased with the Lennon option, but I tell you, the Atsu I saw today can play some. Pace, excellent passing, clever moves several times, tracked back on defense some. He did not run around wildly; quite the opposite. Hope I'm not over praising him, as probably the EPL is much tougher.

Saw first 80 minutes of Ghana's 3-0 win in AFCON semifinal today. Left pub just before all the chaos.

I was impressed by Atsu, very much so, much more than in his limited minutes with Everton so far.

He had one assist, but should have had at least 2, possibly even 3. Before the PK, Atsu dinked a lovely ball in, goalkeeper interfered with the player, PK. If goalkeeper hadn't interfered, Atsu would have had lovely assist. Then he got assist on second goal, and later put in yet another perfect through ball that his teammate couldn't control.

He played right wing, but came inside frequently, and certainly did not hug the sideline at all. I suppose the opponent was hardly top-notch, but they threatened a couple of times, so weren't horrible.

I know we're pleased with the Lennon option, but I tell you, the Atsu I saw today can play some. Pace, excellent passing, clever moves several times, tracked back on defense some. He did not run around wildly; quite the opposite. Hope I'm not over praising him, as probably the EPL is much tougher.

Goalkeepers interfering with players :shocked:

Ooo matron!!

He'll come back with match sharpness and buzzing with confidence.

Hopefully he can do something for us. Martinez said he was one for the 2nd half of the season...If that turns out to be a bang on prediction, the I'm putting it down to witchcraft.

Hopefully we actually play him then, otherwise that match sharpness and confidence will disappear.

That's the Atsu I thought we were getting.

We may well have him, who would know. How many minutes in how many games did he get a chance to prove himself with the Black Stars? Compare that to his cameos with us. Like any player, he needed a run of games to get up to speed, get his confidence going, get to understand the game - all competitions are different, and take a little adapting to. Like Mark says, hope he gets a proper run to prove the doubters wrong, else all his hard work at AFCON will be lost.

i still don't rate him you cant compare that competition to the prem, it's played at a friendly pace he done ok out there but it just doesn't compare to the prem.

True, but the only way you adapt to anything is by given a chance. A cameo at Palace and a "nothing" tie are hardly a run to prove his worth.