IGNORED

Vaunt the Good Vibes

pete0

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Make sure you're at home mate, it won't fit through the letter box!

Image result for brick mobile phone

Don’t you dread it when you get a new phone 📱 and you transfer this and that make sure you’ve got stuff stored in your cloud, I always seem to lose something lm not techi at all, still use an abacus. 😀

37 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Don’t you dread it when you get a new phone 📱 and you transfer this and that make sure you’ve got stuff stored in your cloud, I always seem to lose something lm not techi at all, still use an abacus. 😀

Got the bloke in the shop to do it all for me:).

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Make sure you're at home mate, it won't fit through the letter box!

Image result for brick mobile phone

That reminds me.  Back in the 1980's I was at Windsor station waiting for the train up to London.  There was a guy in the waiting room wearing a long grey mac, just like Del Boy.  He  had a phone just like the above in one hand and a Fileofax in the other.  I started quietly whistling the  Only Fools and Horses signature tune and the whole waiting room was laughing.  The guy was completely oblivious to what was going on.

My first "contact" with a mobile phone was in the late seventies when the studio I was working in was being visited by a very high profile (and wealthy) guy in the industry, Rupert Neve his name was. He was a bit late and I got a phone call from him saying he couldn't find us and could I give him directions, turned out he had a phone in his Rolls:lol:. Unheard of back then.

Funny thing about the day was that our studios were on the top floor of three and we'd spent days making them absolutely pristine for the great man.....and he never got beyond the second floor; just had a meeting and a long lunch with the directors:rolleyes:.

13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

what studio did you work in mike?  did you guys have a neve console?  if so which model?  the 1073 and 1272 are legendary.

Small one that you'd not have heard of Mark, long since out of business. We didn't have a Neve sadly, had two custom built Alices with Penny & Giles faders, Neumann mics (can't remember the model numbers) and Studer A80 sixteen track two inch.....among lots of other stuff obviously but they were the main weapons. Really enjoyed my time there, was about seventeen years in all. Funny thing is that even today, twenty-four years after I left, 90% of my dreams are centred on that period of my life:).

47 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Small one that you'd not have heard of Mark, long since out of business. We didn't have a Neve sadly, had two custom built Alices with Penny & Giles faders, Neumann mics (can't remember the model numbers) and Studer A80 sixteen track two inch.....among lots of other stuff obviously but they were the main weapons. Really enjoyed my time there, was about seventeen years in all. Funny thing is that even today, twenty-four years after I left, 90% of my dreams are centred on that period of my life:).

Alice are still well regarded today, a lot of the vintage stuff is being hunted down (for good reason, they built it right back then).  Studer A80 rolls royce of reel to reel.  neumann i'm gussing u47 u67 u87 types, those are the big ones.  cool stuff.

i still record all analog to reel to reel.  it's so much easier for me to just throw a reel on, press record and go.  otherwise it's turn on the computer and click around and wait for programs to load, and then the song idea is gone.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

what studio did you work in mike?  did you guys have a neve console?  if so which model?  the 1073 and 1272 are legendary.

Jeez that's me completely at a loss are any better than Gana and Schneiderlin😂

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a couple of time zones and about 1500 miles away from some do in Windsor tomorrow:jumpforjoy:. When his dad got married (first time) I couldn't escape; was sat in a studio waiting for the recording of the fakery ceremony to arrive to go to work on it. Got a letter a while later from the royal household thanking me for my contribution, binned it; did it for the extra pay not the glorification of the hateful buggers:lol:. Having said that Harry seems a decent bloke and his intended is easy on the eye (and also seems like a good person) so I wish them no ill, I just want no part of it.

24 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'm a couple of time zones and about 1500 miles away from some do in Windsor tomorrow:jumpforjoy:. When his dad got married (first time) I couldn't escape; was sat in a studio waiting for the recording of the fakery ceremony to arrive to go to work on it. Got a letter a while later from the royal household thanking me for my contribution, binned it; did it for the extra pay not the glorification of the hateful buggers:lol:. Having said that Harry seems a decent bloke and his intended is easy on the eye (and also seems like a good person) so I wish them no ill, I just want no part of it.

What was so special about James Hewitt's wedding that you needed to work on it?

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

very cool mike, was he an engineer as well?  

No Mark he was an exec; A&E, marketing etc. Spent seventeen years at EMI (hated George Martin:lol:) before being headhunted by MGM as MD when they started up a UK record company arm. We were seriously rich for about two years but he fell out with his US bosses and resigned:rolleyes:. Then set up on his own (could've been Richard Branson) but lost it all and narrowly avoided bankruptcy. Got back into the business at a much reduced level at CBS but by that time had in his words "made too many enemies" to progress back up and eventually jacked it in to do other stuff. I only ever heard his side of the story though so maybe he was the awkward bugger:P.

14 hours ago, MikeO said:

No Mark he was an exec; A&E, marketing etc. Spent seventeen years at EMI (hated George Martin:lol:) before being headhunted by MGM as MD when they started up a UK record company arm. We were seriously rich for about two years but he fell out with his US bosses and resigned:rolleyes:. Then set up on his own (could've been Richard Branson) but lost it all and narrowly avoided bankruptcy. Got back into the business at a much reduced level at CBS but by that time had in his words "made too many enemies" to progress back up and eventually jacked it in to do other stuff. I only ever heard his side of the story though so maybe he was the awkward bugger:P.

If he was anything like you then I reckon "awkward bugger" would be quite likely :P 

16 hours ago, MikeO said:

Just watching (at my brother's suggestion) the 2017 film How The Beatles Changed the World and about seven minutes in they're talking about the UK music scene in early sixties in general and this photo popped up; it's of Larry Parnes (left) who was "the first major British rock manager, and his stable of singers included many of the most successful British rock singers of the late 1950s and early 1960s" (Wikipedia). No idea who the chap in the middle is, presumably a singer, but the cool looking dude on the right is my dad:lol:.

Capture.PNG

Bloody Nora, you’re a carbon copy of your dad aren’t ya! 

Back home for 2 weeks, first visit for a year. My girls are off with the in laws for 2 weeks (C managed to get a flight transfer which saw her land in New York 5-6 hours earlier, so she finally got to see some of the city with Eleanor in tow before heading off to their final destination today) so I’m completely responsibility free for 2 weeks! Just family and food on the cards :) 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I wish, in that pic he was 25 odd years younger than I am now (and he had a better suit than I ever did:lol:).

Wasn’t sure if i was complementing you or  giving your dad a hard time with the comparison mate 😛 

Honestly though, the resemblance is uncanny

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, aaron said:

World Cup eve, quite excited for it all to begin now, even better for me is my missus absolutely loves footy and hates soaps etc. so there will be no disagreements on what is on the TV for the next month!

Never is here either aaron  my missus hates footy but I am the telly boss  (except when EastEnders or corrie is on :unsure: )

3 hours ago, aaron said:

World Cup eve, quite excited for it all to begin now, even better for me is my missus absolutely loves footy and hates soaps etc. so there will be no disagreements on what is on the TV for the next month!

No disagreements here either, wife has virtual total control of the remote (she backs down for F1 and if Everton are on live....and Game of Thrones) but that's largely because of Josh. My eyesight makes things much easier & clearer to watch on my laptop so lack of access to the TV is no bother. Plus she doesn't watch any soaps either so any rescheduling of them won't bother her:).

• 4 weeks later...