IGNORED

Bryan Oviedo

hoof, i think he likes to bomb the flanks just like baines does. he's not really a cut inside kinda guy like pienaar. so it looks like he'll just be baines rotation partner until he leaves/goes out of form.

I still want to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have seen him on the wings for costa rica and there were times where I though he was their best player on the pitch, not just for the Costa Rican team (not the biggest compliment in the world but I digress). I believe he just needs more game experience to get used to the speed and physicality of the game.

I'd just like to see him get more game time on the wing from off the bench. He's one of our pacier wide players (not saying much) so he'd be a good counter-attacking option later in games.

I think he's been a bit hard done by from Martinez, only getting the one opportunity from the bench (that game against West Ham) before he got starts due to Baines' injury.

He is too one dimensional as a winger. When your game is all about possession you need players that appreciate space and know how to find space. Pienaar, Mirallas, Deulofeu and even Naismith know how to do this but Baines, Coleman and Oviedo dont know what to do when they get marked by a FB because its not their game. They can break into space from FB because they generally wont have a winger tracking them fully or they will overload the opposing FB with our winger. He can do a job there for sure but he isnt a long term option.

He is too one dimensional as a winger. When your game is all about possession you need players that appreciate space and know how to find space. Pienaar, Mirallas, Deulofeu and even Naismith know how to do this but Baines, Coleman and Oviedo dont know what to do when they get marked by a FB because its not their game. They can break into space from FB because they generally wont have a winger tracking them fully or they will overload the opposing FB with our winger. He can do a job there for sure but he isnt a long term option.

Spoken by a footballer.

Agree with this. its the off the ball work that players like Pienaar are underated for. That ability to make space for an easy pass to them is often overlooked and is also not easy to adjust to when used to playing in a more defensive role.

In a defensive role you naturallu look at closing space inbetween yourself and your opposition.

Playing on the wings your job is the complete opposite, you now need to make as much space as possible to make it easy for your fb to find you. This may not look like defensive work, but it really is. Giving your fb an easy pass is keeping possesion.

Oviedo looks like a player who wants to run forward. You can see his defensive side when he is facing a defender... his head goes down, he looks at thier feet and tries to dance around them. I love watching this sytle of play as it's exciting. but i do appreciate the way Pienaar makes recieving the ball and playing an easy pass inside look so easy. For this reason i would like to see Ovy as another option when Pienaar is being marked out.

I couldn't find an English source but he's been quoted in Al Dia:

http://www.aldia.cr/futbol-costa-rica/legionarios/Bryan-Oviedo-Leighton-Baines-Everton_0_274772548.html#.UsbcPAH8xkE.twitter

He says he was feeling fatigued and Everton are now using a rotation system due to the number of games. He also says he's happy with how he played but the decision with who can play is with Martinez. He acknowledges that Baines is favourite to start because he has impressed for a long time.

• 8 months later...

Good to see he's back, Bainsey (bless him) needs someone nipping at his heels to keep him at his best.

I agree, and welcome back Bryan. If Unsie thinks he's OK, then he's OK.

I liked the look of the lad as soon as he arrived.

An aside, I hadn't known until a day or so ago that Oviedo is also a town in northern Spain. (should that be in the 'useless information' thread?)

• 3 weeks later...

Was great to see him back on the pitch today. He slotted in nicely in the Pienaar role and what a story it would have been if De Gea hadn't brilliantly saved his long-range strike. With our injuries piling up I wish he wasn't jetting off on international duty after just one appearance back with us, but hopefully he'll come back unscathed.