IGNORED

Bryan Oviedo

A word of praise and hope for Oviedo's future contributions. I'm not convinced that LB is his best spot, nor that he can ever become a really good LB. But he can surely compete with Galloway (when G returns) for LB until December-January.

In his interview on today's OS, he admitted that he was tired in first half v. Spurs, but felt better in second. My recollection is that he delivered two excellent crosses in second half. Moreover, he was justifiably irritated at Barkley toward the end of the match when Barkley chose not to push the ball out to him for another cross when he was absolutely alone. I was cussing Barkley pretty bad at that instant, both because it seemed the obvious play under any circumstance and because in that specific circumstance Oviedo had shown he was "on" with his crosses in the second half. A player with a "football brain" would instantly - literally, instantly - have thought, "Brian's open, he'll get in a good cross, this is the play I make right now." But the physically talented Barkley doesn't have a football brain. Best - not necessarily high %, but best in that instant - opportunity to steal 3 points lost.

Over the next 2-3 years, maybe we can expect Oviedo to: (1) start at LB right now, (2) compete with Galloway to start until Baines returns, (3) back up Mirallas and Baines this season, (4) provide insurance behind Baines and Garbutt next season, (5) sub for Mirallas in second half of matches, (6) start at LW occasionally in the next 2-3 seasons. Maybe he's no more than a squad player, but I'd sure be interested to see him get some more time at LW in future. Frankly, it may be that none of our 3 actual LBs -- Baines, Garbutt, Oviedo (not counting Galloway, who's maybe Jagielka's ultimate replacement at LCH) -- is a very good defender; but both Garbutt and Oviedo have shown crossing prowess, making both sneaky candidates for some time at LW.

Agree with the above, this was the point I was trying to make on the man of the match page

he improved greatly from the Barnsley game and even in the second half

that's why I voted for him but I was blown out of the water for not voting for Tim

I know Oviedo made the odd mistake but vastly improved and deserved a vote.

Agree with the above, this was the point I was trying to make on the man of the match page

he improved greatly from the Barnsley game and even in the second half

that's why I voted for him but I was blown out of the water for not voting for Tim

I know Oviedo made the odd mistake but vastly improved and deserved a vote.

Crusty, just because he'd played better in this game than his last isn't cause to just give him MotM mate. I want Howard gone as much as you but he was MotM at Spurs by a long old way.

• 2 months later...

i fear this is the end of him with us. his contract is up at the end of the season and he just can't stay healthy. sad because that goal agaisnt man u was sublime.

I'm really really guttered because I think as a person, he's exactly what you want at a club. I can only hope he gets fit but with the emergence of Galloway and not to forget Garbs we've got to try and get some cash for him.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oviedo looked very solid to me the whole match today. In fact, when healthy (.......), he's always looked solid, with the obvious exception that, as he himself has admitted, he's learning how to play RB.

He played a perfect long pass to Barkley for the shot that Elliott pushed onto the crossbar. Oviedo hustled up and down the line. He gets forward, and hustles back to defend.

I can't say he's a great defender, but he's competent plus. He can certainly play LW, and might become a competent backup at RB.

I hope he stays.

He's certainly earned a contract. It would at least give us a chance of recouping the Physio bills if we could sell him

not a bad idea matt sign him even if he's to leave and get something for him. newcastle wanted him, i'm sure a lower prem side or top championship side would pay a few mil for him, great player on his day i'll never forget that strike at old trafford.