IGNORED

James McCarthy

Guest Ph3nom3non

Sorry if someone has said this earlier in the post, just wondering what does he bring to the pitch, what are his strengths? Not really seen him play that often.

Excellent and objective summary.

I'd add that his pass completion rate approaches 90% (considerably higher than Fellaini's), and he spreads the ball around well. He's often the one who originates attacks with his quick thinking and intelligent positioning. I agree with the statement about lack of aggression. By striking up a partnership with Barkley, though, I can see this changing quite quickly; each will build on the other's strengths.

I'd just like to point out that those tackle and interception stats are not the Opta stats. (http://www.squawka.com/players/james-mccarthy#performance-score#wigan-athletic#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#by-match ==> you can click on "compare James McCarthy against others" to check for yourself if you want)

-Leon Osman had 66 tackles won (at a 78% success rate) and 82 interceptions in 36 games (which means he had 4,1 tackles + interceptions per game).

-Darron Gibson had 27 tackles (at a 61% success rate) and 35 interceptions in 23 games (which makes for 2,7 tackles and interceptions per game).

-"Benchmark" Michael Carrick won 58 tackles (at a 70% success rate) and 76 interceptions in 36 games (3,7 tackles and interceptions per game, which would mean that Leon Osman is a better defender if stats always tell the exact truth).

-James McCarthy had 74 tackles won (at a 75% success rate) and 76 interceptions in 38 games (3,9 tackles and interceptions per game).

seriously, I think this is a shrewd and very smart move. This is investment if anything, whether that be a top player for the best part of 8 years (should he stay) or sell him later on, I really think he'll do well here. He'll give you everything, every game.

He'll need time to settle, but once he does, we won't even notice him (in the best possible way) because we'll accept his high levels of performance as 'normal' and get back to shouting at Pienaar for not keeping it "simple".

I'd just like to point out that those tackle and interception stats are not the Opta stats. (http://www.squawka.com/players/james-mccarthy#performance-score#wigan-athletic#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#by-match ==> you can click on "compare James McCarthy against others" to check for yourself if you want)

-Leon Osman had 66 tackles won (at a 78% success rate) and 82 interceptions in 36 games (which means he had 4,1 tackles + interceptions per game).

-Darron Gibson had 27 tackles (at a 61% success rate) and 35 interceptions in 23 games (which makes for 2,7 tackles and interceptions per game).

-"Benchmark" Michael Carrick won 58 tackles (at a 70% success rate) and 76 interceptions in 36 games (3,7 tackles and interceptions per game, which would mean that Leon Osman is a better defender if stats always tell the exact truth).

-James McCarthy had 74 tackles won (at a 75% success rate) and 76 interceptions in 38 games (3,9 tackles and interceptions per game).

That may be the truth, he shouldn't be that kind of player though, he's an offensive player who should be doing offensive work. Credit to him for being better than Carrick though :D

Edited by tenaciousj

I also want to note that per game stats probably aren't the most telling. In sports where the use of data is much more advanced, like basketball, even fans have access to per 100 possessions stats. Because basketball teams play at a very different pace, they regularize statistics over 100 possessions. The same goes for football teams. Wigan played a slower, deliberate pace while we played a more uptempo, direct style. So there will probably have been a bigger turnover of possessions in Everton games than in Wigan games which means Everton players will simply have more opportunities to win the ball and thus to look impressive in per game stats.

Also, he says that his percentage of passes forward can give an impression of a crab, but that is just a byproduct of Wigan's more deliberate style. And then he doesn't acccount for his higher number of total passes which means that he actually gives about as much forward passes per game (1235/38= 33) as Osman (1200/36=33) and Gibson (790/23=34) did.

Edited by Steve_E

I think he'll be playing often, but not in every starting line-up. He could be a glorified understudy for Barry, which is another good reason to get Barry.

He will play every game, I believe he will partner Barry in a defensive mid duo designed to give Barkley the protection he needs.

maybe... God he was pissing me of yesterday. I dont blame him for wanting to get the best for his player, but calling 2 people at SSN - whilst on or moments before being on camera - to complain about the deal Everton offered?!

Did you know he broke his leg in the FA Cup final and made his money in the sports shop industry?