IGNORED

James McCarthy

Jeezo I was in Spain to watch Scotland at that World Cup...I'm feeling ancient now ;)

Beat New Zealand by 5 - 2 in Malaga, a 1 - 4 loss to Brazil although David Narey scored first with a long range effort and was it a 2 - 2 draw with the then Soviet Union that made up the group. Can't remember who was manager. Wasn't McLeod and too early for Ferguson, so may have been Stein, before that unfortunate event a year or two later in Cardiff.

It's just as well there are some individuals on hand to throw some light on McCarthy, as without it, not all up on that player. Can only hope he lives up to expectation and Martinez did the right thing in bringing him over. Talented and future player is good enough, but only waiting to see what he can produce for this club. If he does a poor job of things or fails to deliver and proves to be a lousy acquisition, then his endeavors at previous clubs aren't going to stand up for much.

It was Jock Stein DK, and I had a ticket for the New Zealand game..it was a great World cup. As for McCarthy I think he'll be fine...he's as good as Wilshire and Ramsay at Arsenal. albeit a bit different...he'll have a sell on value so the club won't lose out. Him alongside Gibson should be a good mix...fingers crossed.

I saw McCarthy a fair amount of times as I was following RM's Wigan, and he was heads above the rest in Wigan.

Him, Koné (believe it or not) and Callum McManaman were the reason they had some chances to stay up. It is hard to believe he is 22, his performances were impressive, although a side with Boyce, Caldwell and Ali Al-Habsi should have never been in the Premier League.

Watching Ireland vs Sweden tonight, will get to see both Coleman and McCarthy. (hopefully get beaten but perform well)

Coleman will square up against two players that I would have liked at Everton. Martin Olsson and Alexander Kacaniklic. McCarthy will possibly have to face Zlatan Ibrahimovic if Ibra plays slightly behind Elmander. If Ibra plays next to Elmander, McCarthy will face 37(!) year old Anders Svensson and Albin Ekdahl (really good player, been in Italy for the past 5-6 years and my niece used to date his brother :D)

Colemans side will be an interesting battle tonight. Ireland will want to challenge Olsson quickly by having Walters go at him early. To suppress Olssons ambition to go forward. Sweden will try to do the exact same thing to Coleman by using Kacaniklic. I think Kacaniklic will worry Coleman more than Walters will worry Olsson.

Sweden should win, if they start scoring. They have the same issues that Everton have. Dominates matches, cant put the ball away. Ibra has been used in between the midfield and a lone striker and I can understand why but Sweden have not had a lone striker that can score and work well with Ibra. (Toivonen tried but he prefers to be in the position Ibra is in, WBA's Rosenberg is crap and could not hit a barn from the inside) Now Elmander is back from injury and with the recent transfer to Norwich hopefully motivated. The boy can score but he needs the ball at his feet. He has scores some crackers in his days. The goal against Wolves is an obvious example but he also scored a great goal to give Galatasaray the championship and an amazing goal against Spain the other year.

Goal against Wolves:

Really curious to see McCarthy play tonight. Hope he gets to face Ibrahimovic. Would like to see him challenged by a world class player. (before you have a go at that, just remember what Ibra has achieved during his career. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlatan_Ibrahimovi%C4%87#Club)

Edited by Peter H

Lots of people bigging McCarthy up. Not seem him play personally.

What attributes does he bring to the team?

He is reknown for one thing in particular?

He's the complete opposite of your typical "SIGN HIM UP" youtube player. In fact the only vid you will probably find which sums him up is 10 minutes worth of one touch passing, tackles and interceptions.

He's not the type of player who many fans are going to say "wow", does the simple and effective things well. Like the type Barry is for Man City, when he plays the team looks solid - but he appears to do nothing out the norm.

The biggest compliment in the weirdest way, is that you'll not notice him. Because he'll do everything, so well and let the others 'shine'. He'll be the one pulling the strings without getting the recognition.

Like Carsley.

Gibson is like that... and Barry too. Seems we'll have a HUGE black hole in our midfield but somehow we'll be blocking shots and scoring goals out of the blue!

The biggest compliment in the weirdest way, is that you'll not notice him. Because he'll do everything, so well and let the others 'shine'. He'll be the one pulling the strings without getting the recognition.

Like Carsley.

I used to love Lee Carsley. Some of the work he did so important to the team and the way we played that I dont think we have ever replaced him. Admittedly we started playing differently shortly after but several players had a go and failed miserably!

I used to love Lee Carsley. Some of the work he did so important to the team and the way we played that I dont think we have ever replaced him. Admittedly we started playing differently shortly after but several players had a go and failed miserably!

Carsley was one of the best players (of his type) I've ever seen

Is there any truth in the rumour that when Real Madrid bought Thomas Graveson they actually had scouted Lee Carsley and really meant to bid for him? :o

never heard that but don't think he would've considered it anyway

Thought he did a lot of the dirty work myself. Didnt really have the chance to get on the ball and run the game as such but the amount of times he was putting pressure on the Swedish in the tackle, harrassing and chasing the ball is something we need. He read the game well and knew when to push forward and when to drop in and cover.

James McCarthy is a good honest team player who has worked hard at his game to get to where he is now. As stated before, he has been bought at an inflated price but that's what happens when teams are scrambling to buy/sell players at the last minute. He'll work hard for his team and make space for others to show their talent. I wanted him to sign for the Celtic when he was about to leave Hamilton but he probably made the right choice going to Wigan, as he has developed quickly in English football. Hail Hail !

I think that was a neat and tidy debut for young James today. It can be difficult for a midfielder sometimes to pick up the pace of the match when going on from the bench, but he slotted right in and added some extra composure and looked after the ball well while we were under pressure. Looking forward to seeing more of him alongside Barry and Barkley.

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff. Maybe now, the doubters can see in black and white, his influences in the game.

I stated on here that he'll be that good, you wouldn't even notice him and it was aimed as a compliment. An integral piece of the machine, a small but pivotal cog in our midfield.

Once him and Barry are partnered back up, I'll look forward to them continuing to build on their midfield relationship.