IGNORED

James McCarthy

"A giant-killing in the FA Cup final, the misery of relegation, a dramatic transfer in the final minutes of deadline day – 2013 has been a rollercoaster for Everton’s player of the month":

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/mad-year-turns-out-well-for-evertons-james-mccarthy-9019101.html

I love this quote: “It’s been a year of ups and downs, highs and lows, but nothing tops signing for a club like Everton.” Good lad.

Edited by efc1111

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mccarthys-growing-belief-at-everton-a-huge-boost-for-irish-oneill-30038153.html

I hadn't been impressed with him for a few weeks but he was incredible against Chelsea.

Completely agree. Thought he was letting games pass him by of late, not getting involved when he should have been, or trying that little bit harder.

Against Chelsea though, you saw some of his early form.

He'll be with Everton for years and I hope he continues to grow because he'll become priceless in the not too distant future.

With Barry and McCarthy in the same side I think we lack an extra body in the final third. I can't make my mind up on him. He works hard, plays simple balls here and there but there's no creativity or goal threat. I don't dislike him I'm just trying to see the benefit of the two defensive minded players when we are going forward. If he had a goal in his locker or better vision he'd be all there but I personally don't ever see him gaining either of those skills. Sometimes I just see him as the spare man.

Edited by MiguelCotto

With Barry and McCarthy in the same side I think we lack an extra body in the final third. I can't make my mind up on him. He works hard, plays simple balls here and there but there's no creativity or goal threat. I don't dislike him I'm just trying to see the benefit of the two defensive minded players when we are going forward. If he had a goal in his locker or better vision he'd be all there but I personally don't ever see him gaining either of those skills. Sometimes I just see him as the spare man.

This is why your opinions (or, as you like to call them, facts) are invalid.

Or, is this a wind-up?

No offence but I think all that highlights is your level of understanding the game. He's a water carrier - thats what they do. Maybe he will get a bit more adventurous with his play but at the moment its not his job.

Did Roy Keane create goals or offer a goal threat for United - no, he averaged 4 goals a season - he totalled 6 assists in 5 years from 2000 onwards... But maybe you seen him as a spare man?

This is why your opinions (or, as you like to call them, facts) are invalid.

Or, is this a wind-up?

No it's my opinion on him. No cutting edge. We already have the exact same player in Barry.

Don't get me wrong he's neat and tidy and is a good footballer. If he had a goal in him though he'd be very very good. The problem I have is that Barry is more important in there and they are both cut from the same cloth in terms of positioning. For that reason alone I think we lack a goalscoring central midfielder.

No offence but I think all that highlights is your level of understanding the game. He's a water carrier - thats what they do. Maybe he will get a bit more adventurous with his play but at the moment its not his job.

Did Roy Keane create goals or offer a goal threat for United - no, he averaged 4 goals a season - he totalled 6 assists in 5 years from 2000 onwards... But maybe you seen him as a spare man?

There is two water carriers in this team though isn't there????

And he's not as good as Barry

Edited by MiguelCotto

barry has the vision i think that mccarthy lacks(in your opinion) so not exactly the same player

mccarthy makes others better..lee carsley seemed to take years to get the recognition he deserved...players like him are noticed much more when they don't play

Barry has the vision, McCarthy has the energy and tenacity. They compliment each other, rather than replicate each other.

barry has the vision i think that mccarthy lacks(in your opinion) so not exactly the same player

mccarthy makes others better..lee carsley seemed to take years to get the recognition he deserved...players like him are noticed much more when they don't play

People keep referring to loan sitters I.e Keane and Carsley (The makelele role) which was one mans job. In the new era we find two sitting midfielders. If your four attacking players aren't chipping in with goals and assists you are lacking that additional central midfielder who can offer you the odd goal.

People keep referring to loan sitters I.e Keane and Carsley (The makelele role) which was one mans job. In the new era we find two sitting midfielders. If your four attacking players aren't chipping in with goals and assists you are lacking that additional central midfielder who can offer you the odd goal.

We have 2 CM's who play deeper because of our Fullbacks. Our Fullbacks are up there with the best in the league. When they go forward depending which side, McCarthy and Barry have to have the itelligence to cover for them. McCarthy has the Legs and Intelligence, Barry has the experience and ability, they go together really well.

Its then the CAM midfielders job to get the goals and assists, this is usually either Barkley or Osman. Barkley has been very poor by his standards recently albeit coming back from injury and Osman if we're being brutally honest is "past it".

Just as a comparison. Gerrard plays in the position that McCarthy plays. But he has two sides to his game. He can sit and go forward, which allows His partner to sit deep when Liverpool attack. Lampard and Ramires do similar jobs at Chelsea.

Although a much higher calibre of player, Gerrard has 7 goals and 9 assists.

The point I'm getting at is there are players out there who can swop defending for attacking dependant on the sway of the game.

In McCarthy and Barry they can't really do that.

Just as a comparison. Gerrard plays in the position that McCarthy plays. But he has two sides to his game. He can sit and go forward, which allows His partner to sit deep when Liverpool attack. Lampard and Ramires do similar jobs at Chelsea.

Although a much higher calibre of player, Gerrard has 7 goals and 9 assists.

The point I'm getting at is there are players out there who can swop defending for attacking dependant on the sway of the game.

In McCarthy and Barry they can't really do that.

Curious to know how many of those were penaltys/free kicks/corners.

Your right, there are players who can defend and attack but there arent many. And they come at a premium. Gerrard in his pomp and Yaya are the only one's off the top of my head. Barry and Mc Carthy are 2 very capable midifielders and they both bring something to the team. They can both break up attacks and keep the game ticking over. They arent going to get you 7-8 goals a season on top of that. Thats the reason we play with a midifielder behind the striker (Barkley, Osman) thats their job. If your looking to critisize, theres where you should be aiming.

Oh god...Cotto's at it again! I swear this lad is from a kopshite site...but he's here too much to be a wind up!!!

McCarthy is ace at what he does. No he doesnt score much, assist much or get forward much. You know why? Because his manager has him for a specific job. And others for the job you are talking about. A postman doesnt deliver milk.

A nice balanced team has 5 attack and 5 defensive players. When we attack, we actually have 6 going forward. Hence why our CB's split and Barry sits in. McCarthy move forward as an option. If McCarthy went too far, we'd have 7 forward and only 3 back...not very clever that.

And stop comparing him to seasoned players who have been around much longer and are currently of a different 'class'.

Learn to appreciate him. You'll like it.

I personally would like to see Gibson and Barry together when he is back. Just to see how that works. Gibson seems to have an eye for a forward pass and last season was the one who made us tick

I think if you drop McCarthy you will see exactly what he brings to the team. For me he has been player of the season so far.

Gibson would struggle to get in because of Martinez preference for McCarthy. That's good enough for me. But Gibson is a very very useful player he proved that last season when we were crying out for him to be back in the side. He's injury prone. If he wasn't I have no doubts he'd still be at United.

Gibson would struggle to get in because of Martinez preference for McCarthy. That's good enough for me. But Gibson is a very very useful player he proved that last season when we were crying out for him to be back in the side. He's injury prone. If he wasn't I have no doubts he'd still be at United.

how can you make that assumption?! Gibson was a big part of the pre-season if I remember correctly and wouldve played a bigger part until he got injured back in October.

Also, comparing him to Gerrard is ludicrous.

Gibson would struggle to get into this midfield this season. I would disagree on Coleman, he's been very good but McCarthy has been better IMO.

I agree with him on Coleman, a man reborn this season. I think Gibson would more likely have come in for Barry on occasion, rather than McCarthy. Not because of a mangerial preference of player, but to see a partnership work thats more likely to be our longer CM pairing, if we dont sign Barry. Even if we do, Gibson is only 26 so blooding him in with McCarthy (had he not been injured) wouldve made sense long term too.

how can you make that assumption?! Gibson was a big part of the pre-season if I remember correctly and wouldve played a bigger part until he got injured back in October.

Also, comparing him to Gerrard is ludicrous.

I personslly don't think Gibson would get the nod over Barry and McCarthy because McCarthy is obviously part of Martinez's bigger picture and Barry is a very very important cog. That's not to say I don't think he should get in - I do.

The reference to Gerrard was to show that there are players operating in the same formation, who can do two jobs. Rather than having two "water carriers".

Gerrard isn't even half the player he was and is still performing well above McCarthy, McCarthy hasn't half the assists or goals. But yes I agree it was an unfair comparison aimed at proving a point rather than judging player like for like.