IGNORED

James McCarthy

Its a major step in the right direction Si, I'm not giving Roberto the key to the city just yet but in a very short space of time (sooner than expected) he has gone about imposing a much needed style change to our team. It has certainly suited some more than others. Lets not forget he has had a few issues to deal with - pienaar injury, gibson injury, mirallas being out of form, lukaku and barry missing their respective home club ties.

Tell me a better 45 minutes of football in recent years than we seen against Newcastle.

The key things he needs to sort out are:-

• Jags, Baines and Mirallas form.
  • Lukaku needs 90 minutes fitness, he's working very hard for 45 and has nothing left
  • we need to be nastier - he needs to be nastier. Forget this likable lark - get tougher on the players at those times when they have dropped the tempo like the second half against city, newcastle and fulham.

He will be all over this anyway... for me I have seen enough to be more than satisfied. Since the end of the window we have looked a better side, I want to see how Kone can supplement our forward line as we need his input until we can see Lukaku do it for a full game.

Do we start with Kone? - let him run the back line tired and then Lukaku takes advantage in second half? I have lost all faith in Jelavic - he's a busted flush. Get rid in January, a drop in form is one thing but his is much more than that.

Im just trying to think with a bit more caution, i think it's far too early to get carried away and some fans are starting to get carried away imo. No doubt about it though we certainly look to have an interesting future under Martinez.

The person who says the most doesn't necessarily know the most...

Many of us rate McCarthy, many have rated Barkley very highly and are delighted he's getting his chance to shine, many have commented on Felli's limitations who had previously seen we had a beast of a player in his earlier days, many have seen tactical limitations with Moyes and many are very optimistic about Martinez and his style.

Just because some are more cautious in their comments and try not to get too carried away it doesn't mean they don't know/foresee this.

He hasnt proved me wrong yet, not until he shows me over a full season.

Your drooling over him after a couple of games, and he wasnt a stand out performer in those games.

End of, for me anyway, no doubt you'll come back like a starstruck 16 year old with a crush on him.

he hasn't proved you wrong that he's not a Joe Allen? lets get it straight, you put your finger in the air and gave an "opinion" based on he was a relegated player.

the reality is, anyone who had watched him before we signed him are of the opinion he is a quality player.

I think McCarthy is going to turn out to be a shrewd buy and maybe even a bargain. He is 22 and played in a poor premiere league team that over achieved. Him just playing in a better team will bring his game on and especially learning off gareth barry a player I'm sure McCarthy will be joining in the 500 club befo his career ends. I hope we go for will Hughes at derby, he is a young,quality passer and would give us an amazing future with regards to long term planning

Regarding lukaku, Roberto has said today he has hardly played 90 minutes of premier league football. He only started 7 games for west brom and ended up scoring 19 goals! His fitness will improve as his body gets used to the full match

his energy levels have plummeted in the second half of the two games he's started though.

There was nothing wrong with his energy levels to me. Maybe last 10mins or so but not the whole 45. He linked up play nicely a couple of times, got jumped on a lot more by the Newcastle defenders and the ball was worked into him as well as it was in the 2nd half. He probably could and should have scored another 1 or 2 goals in the second by putting himself in good areas.

There was nothing wrong with his energy levels to me. Maybe last 10mins or so but not the whole 45. He linked up play nicely a couple of times, got jumped on a lot more by the Newcastle defenders and the ball was worked into him as well as it was in the 2nd half. He probably could and should have scored another 1 or 2 goals in the second by putting himself in good areas.

I noticed it as a sharper drop in workrate - did enough but he was heavier legged, first half players weren't getting close to him. Second halves he was far more conservative.

Fact is he's a monster, it will take alot longer to get him 90 minutes at full pace.

• 2 weeks later...

Far from ready to declare the transfer a success. Still plenty to see and plenty that could go wrong. That being said, it's important to remember that we paid the 13M fee not only for what he is right now, but what he will be in the future. He's been a nice asset in the midfield so far. With a few years to mature, learn, and feel comfortable with the club he'll (hopefully) be that much better. Excited about his future.

My assesment of players in the midfield role is quite simple - have they proven they can do it against premierl league opponents?

McCarthy hasn't just had 4 premier league games, he was the water carrier for Wigan and proved himself against esteemed opponents whilst having less technically competent team mates as he has now.

He isn't going to turn into Alex Nyarko, his attitude is first rate - attitude doesn't have "form" it is in the DNA of the player... technically he is competent with either foot, he is mobile and has a good engine... these things don't just disappear. He isn't going to dribble past 3 players, blast volleys in from 30 yards and do fellaini pirouets, he will keep turning the ball over and keep it moving, allowing others the platform to play.

If McCarthy had been the 22 year old midfield kingpin for Real Madrid or Manchester United with exactly the same opta stats would people still be hesitant to say "we've got a good player here" - of course not, like Kone and to an extent Martinez it's the team that he came from that is making the people hold off.

Eventually he is going to be the player that is fashionable to rate in the pub... the one that when you say "he's class" - people will think "he knows a bit about football"... A little bit like telling everyone you seen Mumford and Sons in a pub 3 years ago... - except McCarthy is actually good. Not just a badge for pretentious wannabe experts!

Always admired him, even in the season that McArthur (other James) was touted as the one player to move to bigger things.

Our James was always the more controlled & composed on the ball. Not a high profile name but an essential cog.

I think he'll do well for us. He has already and I think it'll continue.

so glad he's settled in well..always been a big fan..must say i didn't see many slating the signing of him..possibly the fee as it does on the face of it seem excessive but as haf said we are paying for an experienced young proven prem player..gonna be a perfect compliment to someone like barkley for the next 6-8 years hopefully

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the locker room atmosphere can be downplayed. Obviously there are good guys in every locker room who will welcome guys in but I find it hard to imagine a group of veterans who would step up to the plate and be passionate about the club and help integrate new young guys in quite like Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Howard, etc. We've got a real class group here who represent the club well.

Edited by thoward18

I don't think the locker room atmosphere can be downplayed. Obviously there are good guys in every locker room who will welcome guys in but I find it hard to imagine a group of veterans who would step up to the plate and be passionate about the club and help integrate new young guys in quite like Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Howard, etc. We've got a real class group here who represent the club well.

Spot on.

And I will throw in my opinion here as well: I didn't think he would, but he surpassed my expectations. I thought he was going to be the Naismith of defensive midfield, but he's a very capable DM who is definitely complementary to Barry. I think he's even a bit more intelligent and proactive in his game.

Edited by Mirallas

Maybe it's the right time to experiment with Barkley in the box-to-box role? Start him next to Barry, Naismith in behind Lukaku.

Mirallas behind Lukaku? Deulofeu on the right, Pienaar on the left? I haven't been on the train that we should have starting Gerard every week for months now, but he looked quite decent against Spurs, worth giving him a start against Palace? Or Gerry on the left and Pienaar in the middle. I do worry about Barkley's defensive skills though.