IGNORED

Arouna Kone

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair to him, he does get into go positions, whether with his movement or readying himself to receive a pass. It's after that. His distrubution is awful, his decision making poor and some of his passes are far too weak (for their intended recipient).

He's GOT to be 3rd or 4th choice for me. He's obviously well liked in the dressing room but he shouldn't be starting games on that basis, so he's an injury crisis back up.

For £6m I think he has provided his moneys worth if i'm honest and that is despite missing over a year.

My reason? He lit a fire under Roms backside and has managed to get the best out of him. His hold up play and ability to use his body seems to have been something he may have helped bring Rom along (big Dunc too maybe).

If there were any interested parties I would sell him so that he can get first team football as one of two strikers as that is where he is best IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't defend him in this game he was atrocious

Again - I will ask why does he need to be on the pitch???

For me its like needing to have a cheap run around because the expensive ferrari is a bit temperamental. No one is asking what is up with the Ferrari - they are too busy taking the mickey out of the 2nd hand Ford Fiesta parked in the asda car park.

That doesn't just apply to Rom, it goes for Barkley, Gerry and a few others who can switch off and not give basic levels of effort.

If you're going to play him, play him up front with Rom or nothing at all!

I agree.

My complete frustration in all of this is that fans have default players that are open to attack. When the glory boys stink the gaff out its always someone elses fault and if all else fails then it will be someone like Kone or Osman who gets it.

Reality is we need 2-3 quality "strikers". We need Niasse to be a player - if he isn't then i'm afraid we will see the Kone plaster on the Lukaku "not playing today wound" more times than we can stand.

An example of how it can work is what we have seen with Stones - we have Jags and Mori who have let him know that he can and will be dropped and equal quality can replace him. No one is there to do this up front - zero competition for places.

Lets hope the "raw, very raw" comment is a bit of the green eyed monster regarding Niasse.

As a thought - try Gerry in the middle against the parked bus, run at the centre halves with his quick feet = penno or chances.

I've never wanted him because I've never thought he was good enough, and apart from three or four games I've seen nothing to make me change my mind about him. For all this talk about him being such a good hold up player, and that being the reason he plays, he doesn't half give the ball away a lot through the ball bouncing off him, him playing a lazy pass that's too short for a team mate leading to us losing the ball, or trying to show he's somehow better than he actually is by running with the ball and invariably just runs smack bang into an opposing which also leads to us losing the ball. Not good hold up play in my book.

I don't care what the reason is for him coming on, or starting, whether it's because another player isn't performing or not. What I care about is that when he's on the pitch he adds something to our game, and the truth is he's added absolutely nothing for a while now.

In order to be a good foil to Lukaku you have to be... well, good.

He's a decent player on his day but they're not enough, which unfortunately is the theme of this squad right now. He's had some important moments, and I believe he did spark Rom a bit, but that can't be his only contribution in every 3 or 4 games.

I've never wanted him because I've never thought he was good enough, and apart from three or four games I've seen nothing to make me change my mind about him. For all this talk about him being such a good hold up player, and that being the reason he plays, he doesn't half give the ball away a lot through the ball bouncing off him, him playing a lazy pass that's too short for a team mate leading to us losing the ball, or trying to show he's somehow better than he actually is by running with the ball and invariably just runs smack bang into an opposing which also leads to us losing the ball. Not good hold up play in my book.

I don't care what the reason is for him coming on, or starting, whether it's because another player isn't performing or not. What I care about is that when he's on the pitch he adds something to our game, and the truth is he's added absolutely nothing for a while now.

Exactly right.

He just doesn't benefit the side in any way shape or form. As soon as the ball goes into him the move breaks down and we lose possession. He offers nothing coming back and he is keeping better attacking players out of the side

He had a little purple patch earlier in the season but apart from that he isn't contributing

I have stood up for him over the last few years.

I was wrong. He isn't at our level anymore. For every good first touch ane control comes a lazy second pass. And that's why I can't defend him anymore...he's just not hungry.

When Ross tried a twenty yard eye of the needle pass and it hits a player...I can forgive.

When Arouna brings the ball down and then hits a ten yard pass to a player with ten yards of space either side....and still hits an opposite player....I just can't.

My problem is that he will still be smiling at the camera come next match.

Head down and work...smile when you have the right too.

Seen a very good post on GOT...

Lukaku's Minutes per Goal with Kone ON the pitch:

All comps

1 Goal every 103.8 minutes

League Games:

1 Goal every 93.3 minutes

Cup Games:

Has not scored with Kone on the pitch in 137 Total Minutes over 8 games

Lukaku's Minutes per Goal with Kone NOT on the pitch:

All comps

1 Goal every 217.6 minutes

League Games:

1 Goal every 357.3 minutes (take away the penalty and his goals from open play is 1 in 536 minutes)

Cup Games:

1 Goal every 112.8 minutes

More facts

- In Cup Games RM has not generally played them together, Rom's Strength and skills allow him to dominate what is generally lower level competition and STILL his strike rate is lower in the cup games. In league games it isn't even close how much more effective Rom is in terms of scoring goals from open play as opposed to without Kone.

- Kone made a massive difference against WBA in the first league Game.

- In the league Lukaku scores 3.8 x's as many goals per minute with Kone on the pitch than off (take away the penalty and it is 5.7 x's as many goals) Not a flattering stat for Lukaku

• 3 months later...