IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

He's worshipped here already, and he's got an ego so that's important. Unless Barca could guarantee him a starting spot (they couldn't and wouldn't) I truly believe he'd stay here if they activated the buy-back clause.

They may leave him for another year, but he will go back. Look at Fabregas and Pique - they left Barca - they went to top clubs and the lure of Barca is too much and for them he will be a player they can get for fraction of the price he is worth.

Its wishful thinking to think that if Barca want him then he will stay at Everton, he is a catalonian - playing for Barcelona as a catalonian is the pinnacle. He will use us to develop his game and he will no doubt always love us and he does enjoy it here - but Barca is his club.

This is why Everton fans feel a sense of anxiety when he does great things - that anxiety is the realisation that he is here for a short time. Pedro played many games for Barca and I believe Deulofeu will be much better pretty soon.

They may leave him for another year, but he will go back. Look at Fabregas and Pique - they left Barca - they went to top clubs and the lure of Barca is too much and for them he will be a player they can get for fraction of the price he is worth.

Its wishful thinking to think that if Barca want him then he will stay at Everton, he is a catalonian - playing for Barcelona as a catalonian is the pinnacle. He will use us to develop his game and he will no doubt always love us and he does enjoy it here - but Barca is his club.

This is why Everton fans feel a sense of anxiety when he does great things - that anxiety is the realisation that he is here for a short time. Pedro played many games for Barca and I believe Deulofeu will be much better pretty soon.

This is pretty depressing but pretty much might be spot on.

We'll see.

I'll say it again though; he wants to play and if Barca won't give him that then there's no reason for him to agree to return.

I'll be gutted if he goes back because he's going to be special.

Brilliant again last night.

If he wants to get in that Barca team he needs to be one of the best three players in the world. If that happens he will have to go back, if it doesn't he wont be going anywhere in the next two years. After that the clauses are gone and someone better bring a bloody big bag of cash!

At the end of the 2 year clause Messi will be 30 - will have played 14 years football at that age. Suarez will be 31... the chances are that Barca as they often do - will rebuild. Gerry will be 23 then.

In reality Gerry is probably worth £20-£25m right now he had doubts around him after his last season but he has blown them away - has anyone assisted more?

At the end of the 2016 season does anyone actually think Barca will not exercise their right to buy back for €12m euros and offer him £100k+??? Lets face it his value based on the stuff we are seeing will be £30m+

He is getting better all the time. Just a time for some realism boys.

I agree with everything said. Barca will be mad not to buy him back but I think there will be clauses to death. I think I've read they can't buy him back to sell him on straight away. Also I think we have to remember is Gerry won't be the only budding superstar they had or have and even if messi goes they will just buy another huge name. Hazard etc. I think there will be room to move in the summer like buying the clause out. I honestly think barca will be in for stones and a deal with Gerry will be included

At the end of the 2 year clause Messi will be 30 - will have played 14 years football at that age. Suarez will be 31... the chances are that Barca as they often do - will rebuild. Gerry will be 23 then.

In reality Gerry is probably worth £20-£25m right now he had doubts around him after his last season but he has blown them away - has anyone assisted more?

At the end of the 2016 season does anyone actually think Barca will not exercise their right to buy back for €12m euros and offer him £100k+??? Lets face it his value based on the stuff we are seeing will be £30m+

He is getting better all the time. Just a time for some realism boys.

Time for a bit of optimism instead.

As good as he is going to be, until he is pushing being one of the best in the world they wont go back for him as he still wont be their level.

I don't see how you can discount all of the other top players in the world either. Why would they not try to buy Hazard instead? Being that hes a much bigger star. They might want Depay if he reaches his potential. I really don't see why a team with their resources would not go for bigger players.

Time for a bit of optimism instead.

As good as he is going to be, until he is pushing being one of the best in the world they wont go back for him as he still wont be their level.

I don't see how you can discount all of the other top players in the world either. Why would they not try to buy Hazard instead? Being that hes a much bigger star. They might want Depay if he reaches his potential. I really don't see why a team with their resources would not go for bigger players.

Barca like a strong core of catalan players, it represents catalonia. Is Hazard really that much better than Gerry? Sure, he's a great match of the day player, but simply put Gerry creates goals... Does Depay have greater potential?

Why would Barca allow the 2 year clause to elapse and pay 30m more for a player? In 2 years Gerry will have match time for Barca and will fully deserve it.

I may be wrong, I dont think I am - I most certainly hope I am because unless someone is useless at seeing ability - this lad has absolutely everything. Coutinho is touted as a £40m signing for barca - this lad is better,

Hazard and Coutihno can sell shirts, Geri isn't as big a name, and they need income. They might well come sooner though, if rumours about Messi and Neymar looking to leave are true.

Then again, he might not like how he's been treated so might not want to go back

This!

Hazard and Coutihno can sell shirts, Geri isn't as big a name, and they need income. They might well come sooner though, if rumours about Messi and Neymar looking to leave are true.

Then again, he might not like how he's been treated so might not want to go back

They bought in a record €530m last season - they could wipe out their debt in 6 months... I don't think its anything to do with shirts and to be honest how is Hazard or Coutinho going to change that? They have Neymar who massively brings in the brazilian fan base - coutinho isn't going to affect that and Hazard is from one of the smallest countries in Europe.

Deulofeu would generate a massive amount of revenue as the catalonian boy wonder. Deulofeu hasn't been treated bad by Barca - he was by Sevilla. He has unfinished business wityh Barca and no doubt wants to prove that he is good enough for them.

Don't you think I want to feel like he is going to fall madly in love with the city of Liverpool and Everton take over as the club that he wants to stay at? The reality is that his progression is so great that Barca will not pass him up, it is not a smart football or business decision to allow him to stay longer than the buy back clause and they will do everything they can to convince him. .

I agree haf but at the end of the day he can say messi Neymar Suarez who gets benched so I can start. When they have no answer I don't think he is in it for the money. I follow the guy on Facebook and every before and after the match he's posting about the fans and great win or I'll try harder to win. He seems like he just loves playing football, not an ego thing like he was just made to do it.

I don't think he wants to ride a bench somewhere and play copa del Rey matches.

You heard when he signed here this year he said there were big offers elsewhere but he likes the club and England and took less money to play here cause he knows he will start.

They bought in a record €530m last season - they could wipe out their debt in 6 months... I don't think its anything to do with shirts and to be honest how is Hazard or Coutinho going to change that? They have Neymar who massively brings in the brazilian fan base - coutinho isn't going to affect that and Hazard is from one of the smallest countries in Europe.

Deulofeu would generate a massive amount of revenue as the catalonian boy wonder. Deulofeu hasn't been treated bad by Barca - he was by Sevilla. He has unfinished business wityh Barca and no doubt wants to prove that he is good enough for them.

Don't you think I want to feel like he is going to fall madly in love with the city of Liverpool and Everton take over as the club that he wants to stay at? The reality is that his progression is so great that Barca will not pass him up, it is not a smart football or business decision to allow him to stay longer than the buy back clause and they will do everything they can to convince him. .

You're such a misery!

There's been a lot of chit chat (which is why I mentioned rumours) of Barcelona having to sell to balance their books and Neymar and Messi were the names mentioned, I assume because they'd get over 100m each in transfer fees plus nearly 50m a year off the wage bill - incidently, the rough increase of their debt in 1 year. Bringing in E530m is great (was actually E608), but the profit was only E15m - see page 175

As for bringing in other players, it was just a hypothosis. Hazard being from Belgium is irrelevent - he's Eden Hazard, a big name and a much closer version to the finished article and a fair bit better than Geri (for now). You think the Uruguayan market was in consideration when they went all out for Suarez? No, they wanted a big name to make an instant impact on the pitch and sell shirts.

Anyway, I'm hoping that you're wrong again, and that our cracking young talent helps lift the team into the CL and then sticks around. I'm not worrying about him until a bid comes in for him, and if he accepts to go home to one of the best clubs in Europe.

You're such a misery!

There's been a lot of chit chat (which is why I mentioned rumours) of Barcelona having to sell to balance their books and Neymar and Messi were the names mentioned, I assume because they'd get over 100m each in transfer fees plus nearly 50m a year off the wage bill - incidently, the rough increase of their debt in 1 year. Bringing in E530m is great (was actually E608), but the profit was only E15m - see page 175

As for bringing in other players, it was just a hypothosis. Hazard being from Belgium is irrelevent - he's Eden Hazard, a big name and a much closer version to the finished article and a fair bit better than Geri (for now). You think the Uruguayan market was in consideration when they went all out for Suarez? No, they wanted a big name to make an instant impact on the pitch and sell shirts.

Anyway, I'm hoping that you're wrong again, and that our cracking young talent helps lift the team into the CL and then sticks around. I'm not worrying about him until a bid comes in for him, and if he accepts to go home to one of the best clubs in Europe.

Matt I love your optimism - it isn't infectious when it comes to a pressimist like me (being an Everton fan does that!)

I am being totally honest - I think he is in the top 10 attacking talents in his age group now, but his ceiling is ridiculous.

I will explain why. I will use Rom as an example. Rom has always had the physicality that is extremely high - but players work on this aspect and level the playing field as they grow into themselves. This brings Ronaldo as the comparitive point. Ronaldo wasn't physically very good at the start, he went away and bulked up putting on about 6 pounds of muscle in 4-5 months and was superb, aligned to that he already has a brilliant technique.

Gerry will improve in two respects - I see him getting stronger, our young players seem to be that way inclined. But he will get technically better too. I see him having the potential to score 30 yarders - his ball striking is superb technically, as he gets stronger I expect to see him hitting Ronaldoesque knuckle balls.

This time next year we will be looking at one of the best players in the league.

Matt I love your optimism - it isn't infectious when it comes to a pressimist like me (being an Everton fan does that!)

I am being totally honest - I think he is in the top 10 attacking talents in his age group now, but his ceiling is ridiculous.

I will explain why. I will use Rom as an example. Rom has always had the physicality that is extremely high - but players work on this aspect and level the playing field as they grow into themselves. This brings Ronaldo as the comparitive point. Ronaldo wasn't physically very good at the start, he went away and bulked up putting on about 6 pounds of muscle in 4-5 months and was superb, aligned to that he already has a brilliant technique.

Gerry will improve in two respects - I see him getting stronger, our young players seem to be that way inclined. But he will get technically better too. I see him having the potential to score 30 yarders - his ball striking is superb technically, as he gets stronger I expect to see him hitting Ronaldoesque knuckle balls.

This time next year we will be looking at one of the best players in the league.

My optimism comes from having memories of Everton starting with Mike Walker - it could only get better! Had I not had that young naivety to protect myself, I might not have made it this far :)

I can understand the comparison with Ronaldo (except physique), and made a similar statement recently. So, I don't disagree with you in terms of Geri and his potential, but I'm hoping that his progress is with us and honestly don't see why it won't be with us for the next several years unless another team comes in and forces Barca's hand. He has said he felt at home with us, he wanted to come to us and is getting game time. Is he going to go back home to a team that shunned and then sold him? Maybe, but if Enrique stays in charge (which is why I'm hoping Barca win the title and CL the next 2 years) then theres a chance he won't.

In the meantime, as has been previously stated many times; he is our player, he is playing amazingly for us now. I'll worry about the transfer if / when it happens :)

Edited by Matt

Seems likely Barca would wait until 2017 to decide, as the increase in buy-back amount is relatively small. Two full EPL seasons for Deulofeu as a first-choice winger will provide plenty of info about his strengths and weaknesses.

If, as we have reason to expect, his strengths gradually increase and weaknesses gradually decrease, it would be shocking if Barca don't take him back.