IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

Now lets look why Deulefeu has become a bench warmer :

1) he has been man of the match 140 times only playing 1163 min this season -

only beaten by Lukaku with 176 times but in 2331 minutes - more than double that of Del

third is world star Barkley with 102 times in 2362 minutes - even more than Lukaku -

fifth is Lennon with 75 times in 772 minutes - much lower strike rate than Del -

2) he has been the player with the most assists 9 this season in 1163 min -

2nd is Barkley with 8 but in 2362 min - more than double that of Del

3rd is Lukaku with 5 in 2331 min

Lennon who is keeping Del out of the team has only 1 assist in 772 min - super creator isn't he

Cleverly chosen ahead of Del lately has 4 assists in 1139 min - half that of Del

Kone has 5 asssts in 1314 min - not as good as Del

There you have it the creative Deulefeu clearly not good enough to start for Everton - hehehe - what a joke

All valid arguments but the whole team is performing better, save Lukaku. You can't change a winning formula, it's just silly. Plus, I think maybe it's a mix of good squad management and also being a bit more unpredictable. Well no doubt see Geri whipping in those crosses again soon enough.

Now lets look why Deulefeu has become a bench warmer :

1) he has been man of the match 140 times only playing 1163 min this season -

only beaten by Lukaku with 176 times but in 2331 minutes - more than double that of Del

third is world star Barkley with 102 times in 2362 minutes - even more than Lukaku -

fifth is Lennon with 75 times in 772 minutes - much lower strike rate than Del -

2) he has been the player with the most assists 9 this season in 1163 min -

2nd is Barkley with 8 but in 2362 min - more than double that of Del

3rd is Lukaku with 5 in 2331 min

Lennon who is keeping Del out of the team has only 1 assist in 772 min - super creator isn't he

Cleverly chosen ahead of Del lately has 4 assists in 1139 min - half that of Del

Kone has 5 asssts in 1314 min - not as good as Del

There you have it the creative Deulefeu clearly not good enough to start for Everton - hehehe - what a joke

Have you got the stats for goals conceded when he's started? His defensive contribution isn't a patch on Lennon's; all very well getting loads of assists and eye catching performances while we lose/draw a high scoring game, stats look great but I'd rather win a low scoring game where there will be (by definition) less assists. You're only looking at half the picture.

Guest rusty747

Deleufeu is a real talent but he needs to learn (and, in fairness, I think he is) that its a team game and he has to track back and do his share of the defending. Going forward he is better than Lennon imho, but he is nowhere near as good at his defensive duties.

For me, the team benefits more with Lennon on the pitch than Deleufeu at the moment.

Pointless drawing 4-4 with Deleufeu playing when we can win 2-0 with Lennon playing. Just a hypothetical example.

Edited by rusty747

I thought Gerry had been tracking back quite well this season.. But do agree we look a solid side with Lennon and like Lennon did earlier he has to wait for his chance and then take it. Fantastic competion through the squad at the moment.

I'll be pretty blunt and annoying. The lad should have about 7 or 8 more assists to his name.

If I have to watch another game where he stands his man, dinks the ball, wins the race and fires in a rasping grass cutter across the 6 yard box line where it goes out of play I will scream.

Other than that his fitness levels are shit, he gets annoyed and mentally bashed too easily. That said he's the best match winner player we have without question.

Deleufeu is a real talent but he needs to learn (and, in fairness, I think he is) that its a team game and he has to track back and do his share of the defending.

I think that's been his main problem this season tbh. He has been doing the defensive side of the game more, and he's not been used to having to work so hard. Coupled with him not being used to playing so much first-team football in general, and this league being faster than most, and the energy he puts into getting forward, it's going to take him time to be fit enough to do what we need him to do.

I feel confident he will though.

Have you got the stats for goals conceded when he's started? His defensive contribution isn't a patch on Lennon's; all very well getting loads of assists and eye catching performances while we lose/draw a high scoring game, stats look great but I'd rather win a low scoring game where there will be (by definition) less assists. You're only looking at half the picture.

Deleufeu is a real talent but he needs to learn (and, in fairness, I think he is) that its a team game and he has to track back and do his share of the defending. Going forward he is better than Lennon imho, but he is nowhere near as good at his defensive duties.

For me, the team benefits more with Lennon on the pitch than Deleufeu at the moment.

Pointless drawing 4-4 with Deleufeu playing when we can win 2-0 with Lennon playing. Just a hypothetical example.

Stop copying or I'll tell the teacher :shaking fist:.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like Deulofeu - I have read through this thread and I am going to reiterate what other's have said it is his defensive duties that let him down. The amount of times he gets frustrated (I notice this when he whips a cracking ball into the box and nobody gets onto the end of it) then puts his hands up in the air and doesn't track back because he can't believe nobody got on the end of his cross. Lennon has been superb on the right hand side for Everton. It used to be Baines/Pienaar combo that teams didn't like but now we are starting to get that with Coleman/Lennon. This is what the Sevilla manager said about Gerry after the loan spell last season:

“He has incredible qualities but lacks others. Put him out there, one on one and ... pfff,” Emery told Sid Lowe.

“But make him play football with teammates, on a big pitch, and it’s hard. He doesn’t have the maturity or capacity for sacrifice yet.

"I told him: 'There are players here who aspire to a contract like yours, men with less talent but more hunger: Iborra, Carriço, Vitolo. They know what it costs. You haven’t experienced that. When you do, you’ll grow. I hope you get that. If not here, somewhere else"

What he said about the teammates is interesting, although, I do think he has performed better this season at tracking back and defending he still has a while to go and can't get frustrated and shrug his shoulders if the team isn't performing which he can do as well. So talented but just has that little bit more to learn.

I completely disagree when these types of players are made to change how they play. He's a luxury player who is there to create opportunities nothing else.. Other players must work harder when he's on the pitch defensively. That's it for me.

I completely disagree when these types of players are made to change how they play. He's a luxury player who is there to create opportunities nothing else.. Other players must work harder when he's on the pitch defensively. That's it for me.

Spot on. We need to accommodate our play to them. He can sling in crosses and has speed. So tell Ross and rom to get in the box

Spot on. We need to accommodate our play to them. He can sling in crosses and has speed. So tell Ross and rom to get in the box

I think when Deulofeu has the ball at his feet, Lukaku is likely to be in the box. Ross is unlikely to be in the box much of anytime, unless he's trying to dribble the ball into the net. But definitely, when Deulofeu has it, we need 2-3 players in the box.

• 1 month later...